Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 32.2 % ❤ 4 % :thumbsup: 17.4 % 😯 1.8 % :grinning: 29.7 % 🧥 2.2 % 🙏 2.9 % 😟 5.4 % :cry: 2.9 % :shit: 1.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
I understand the new plan is to run various ideas seeking a cross-party consensus.

Something that could have been started a week after the referendum if ministers (Prime and otherwise) weren't so intent on making this a Tory / DUP exclusive project.
Arrowhead, Timbo liked this
Bones McCoy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:09 pm
I understand the new plan is to run various ideas seeking a cross-party consensus.
Good job there's two whole weeks to go.
Timbo, mattomac liked this
It's looking increasingly likely that May will just about squeeze her deal over line either next week or shortly after, if even headbangers like Kawczynski and McVey are now climbing on board:

Quite how the ERG loons are going to behave once the trade negotiations have begun is another thing altogether.
In other words, they're frit. I genuinely do think that if MV3 falls, and the EU refuse an extension, A50 will be revoked.

And I reckon the ERG think the same, and won't risk it.
Dan wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:34 pm
Just a thought:

Could the EU state that they will grant an extension if, and only if, there is a referendum in that time period?
That's what I understand. The UK can only apply for one and ask for its length. The EU can say yes or no and impose what conditions it likes.
Dan wrote:
Just a thought:

Could the EU state that they will grant an extension if, and only if, there is a referendum in that time period?
I don't know of any legal basis why they couldn't if there is agreement among the EU27 as such an extension would be for theirs to grant as the UK can't unilaterally enact such an extension. It's why Banks & Farage are trying to convince right-wing to far-right national governments in the EU to not agree to one, in turn undermining HM Government and arguably committing conspiracy to treason in the process.

Having said that, can you imagine the likes of the S*n and hardline Brexiteers reacting having a new referendum on the matter being effectively imposed by "Brussels"? :lol:
spoonman wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:17 pm
Dan wrote:
Just a thought:

I don't know of any legal basis why they couldn't if there is agreement among the EU27 as such an extension would be for theirs to grant as the UK can't unilaterally enact such an extension. It's why Banks & Farage are trying to convince right-wing to far-right national governments in the EU to not agree to one, in turn undermining HM Government and arguably committing conspiracy to treason in the process.

Having said that, can you imagine the likes of the S*n and hardline Brexiteers reacting having a new referendum on the matter being effectively imposed by "Brussels"? :lol:
True. I would imagine that this would be their main argument in a Leave campaign. "Tell Brussels directly" and all that drivel. It could also be problematic thanks to the fact it's just been rejected in Parliament and Remain campaigners will have to watch for this.

I think this may happen. They simply won't grant an extention if the only result is going to be infinite squabbling between the various factions in Parliament, all screaming loudly about what they don't want without anyone being any the wiser on what they do want.

There has to be an endgame and it is not Corbyn's fantasy land Brexit.

I wonder whether Bercow will even allow a third vote on her deal, he's well within his rights not to and he does not fear upsetting the Government. Should he not and with assurances of an extention, May's only other shot at getting it through would be making it subject to a confirmation referendum (Kyle-Wilson amendment) with Remain and her deal as the options which is different enough to get another vote on it. She may figure that even if the ERG abstain, more than enough of Labour would vote with her on this to push is through and she might want to chance it on a 50/50 referendum, knowing that Brexiters will have to go for her deal then or stay in the EU. There would be no "No Deal" shenanigans to have us crash out.

Regarding Farage, I don't think his cap in hand begging will work and if it did, I can see it backfiring on him hugely and Britain simply revoking Article 50. Parliament cannot let one man plunge the country into dangerous economic uncertainty (to put it mildly) and ride roughshod over the expressed will of Parliament.
spoonman liked this
As we've seen with Trump, cooperation is not in the nationalist nature. They may act like Farage's friend today, but when push comes to shove? I don't think his ruse will work.
Dan wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:15 pm
I wonder whether Bercow will even allow a third vote on her deal, he's well within his rights not to and he does not fear upsetting the Government.

Apparently Erskine May says that a government can't keep bringing the same bill before Parliament. Brexiters say that while the bill is unchanged, the circumstances have. I think he won't allow it as Parliament has already ruled it and no deal out. Logically, it has to find another option.
KevS wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:54 pm
In other words, they're frit. I genuinely do think that if MV3 falls, and the EU refuse an extension, A50 will be revoked.

And I reckon the ERG think the same, and won't risk it.
If they (DUP / ERG) swing in at the 11th hour, after 2 years of obstruction, their high words and credibility are shot.
Last edited by Bones McCoy on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Euro Elections 2019

To paraphrase David Mitchell: He didn't fight th[…]

The Tories, Generally

Largely gone unnoticed today but the post-Loathsom[…]

Trustworthy man of government and likeable every p[…]

Theresa May

It's not a fucking party game*, or a Paul Daniels […]