Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 33.3 % ❤ 4.8 % :thumbsup: 17.1 % 😯 1.7 % :grinning: 26.1 % 🧥 2.2 % 🙏 2.8 % 😟 6.7 % :cry: 3.4 % :shit: 2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
That Zoltar guy there is good at English, to give him his due. Reckon he can read our newspapers? Or indeed statements of Brexit politicians?

In other news, Big Phil doesn't seem to be very happy with the holes in his spreadsheet.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eal-brexit
The next prime minister will have to reckon with a reinvigorated “Gaukward squad”, including David Gauke and Philip Hammond, who are determined to block a no-deal Brexit if they are dispatched to the backbenches, senior Tories warn.

The Conservative leadership race has been dominated by Brexit, with Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt both insisting they would be willing to contemplate leaving without a deal if they could not secure concessions from Brussels over the summer.

Hammond, who has made a series of increasingly forthright interventions in recent days, dropped a heavy hint on Tuesday that he would be prepared to vote against a no-deal Brexit, even if it meant breaking the party whip. The chancellor has not ruled out serving in a Johnson government, but the frontrunner is widely expected to sack him, as is his rival Hunt.
Of course, you don't take anything for granted from Tory rebels.
I think the EBacc came in a couple of years after that graph shows it. But it doesn't seem to have raised the number of language exams being taken. Maybe it halted the decline, but that's about all.

The trouble with foreign languages, as far as most people experience them, is that there isn't really any need to learn them nowadays. If a kid goes on a touristy holiday to most places in Europe, they'll find lots of stuff in English and even if they try to speak the local language, they get people speaking back to them in English. Language learning has to be more immersive. I like an idea they have in Spain where a village (presumably a ghost one) has been made into a place where English only is spoken. We don't really have ghost villages here but got to be possible for somebody to buy up a part of a run down part of the Valleys and do something similar with French, Spanish or German?
When will they get it in to their thick skulls that Johnny Forriner isn't speaking English, he's speaking international and will take every opportunity he finds to hone his skills. He will even practice on native-speaker teenagers, given half a chance.
I'm not against learning languages, just pointing out that two are enough for universal understanding. I can only explain my attraction to Scotland to my sketchy knowledge of Scottish Gaelic. I've only been there twice and the second felt like coming home.
Kreuzberger wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:43 pm
When will they get it in to their thick skulls that Johnny Forriner isn't speaking English, he's speaking international and will take every opportunity he finds to hone his skills. He will even practice on native-speaker teenagers, given half a chance.
English is the lingua Franca?
The Mail's Front Page Headline

A few years ago, I think in line with the diamond […]

The Biased BBC

Given that's Fenton's MP, I wonder if he'll have a[…]

Twat of the Day

Happy Chinese New Year, Larry! :P https://[…]

Boris Johnson

Not sure what the legal problem is with Johnson ch[…]