Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 32.9 % ❤ 3.8 % :thumbsup: 17.3 % 😯 1.7 % :grinning: 28.4 % 🧥 2.1 % 🙏 3.1 % 😟 5.5 % :cry: 3.1 % :shit: 2.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Boiler wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:44 pm
A greetings card writer would be too embarrassed to write it.

A graphic of the UK getting spit-roasted by China and the US would be more prescient.
Just for the avoidance of doubt, should that have the "and not in a nice way" caveat?

Asking for a friend.
Kreuzberger wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:03 pm
Boiler wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:44 pm
A greetings card writer would be too embarrassed to write it.

A graphic of the UK getting spit-roasted by China and the US would be more prescient.
Just for the avoidance of doubt, should that have the "and not in a nice way" caveat?

Asking for a friend.
Which bit? If the latter, I had the UK being roasted over a large open fire in mind for the most favourable trade agreements.
Yep, that's the way to heal the nation's wounds: remind the 48% just how worthless we are now considered every fucking time we go to buy something in the shops.

Ever get the feeling we're being laughed at?
DSC_5741 (1).jpg
DSC_5741 (1).jpg (196.15 KiB) Viewed 526 times
Just in case anyone's forgotten how we got to be stable and prosperous...
oboogie, Arrowhead, Oblomov liked this
The Pound hits its LOWEST level against the euro in 10 YEARS as experts warn that 'No Deal talk' is spooking the market days after figures revealed the UK could be heading for a recession
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -talk.html

Brian1948, Stevenage, United Kingdom, 6 hours ago
Great news for exports. Don't let Project Fear defeat you.
+1138 -627
casa25, Not the EU, United Kingdom, 5 hours ago
Recessions are cyclical,lived through them in the 70s,80s,90s and noughties,nothing to write home about,always lived to tell the tale
+425 -157
null, 5 hours ago
Great time to look at a staycation for your next holiday!
+189 -59
Those responses are oh so fucking predictable, aren't they? Trouble is, I'm too old to up sticks and move abroad in my particular career now (not that I would anyway).
Boiler wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:03 pm
I think I shall just shove them into a jar and do my best to take the pieces of shit out of circulation. Meanwhile, I expect tomorrow that The Scum will be going into a full-on Gush* over them.
And it's not as if coins can't be defaced either. That's one quick way for governments to get them out of circulation.

Funnily enough I got a 5 pinginí/pence piece in some change last week*. Would have thought that other than coin collectors and some keepsakes, any coins of the Irish Punt would be lying in a vault in the Central Bank in Dublin.

* It's very slightly larger than a 5 pence sterling coin.
No-deal Brexit battle set to come to head in September
Opponents of chaotic exit from EU still divided on strategy to outmanoeuvre Boris Johnson
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... er-johnson
You know, in the endless stream of radio phone-ins, commentary, and newspaper think-pieces around Brexit over the last 3 years, I'm beginning to think that the thing that I'm becoming most heartily sick of hearing is the ill-considered assertion that if Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty is rescinded - with or without a new public vote - or a new referendum is held, or Brexit is not "delivered" in whatever way, the "damage to democracy" will be grave and serious.

Really? Here's the truth. If the UK at the end of this saga blessedly does not end its membership of the EU, the "damage to democracy" that people wring their hands over will be precisely NIL.

The UK will *not* transform into North Korea overnight. Our democratic institutions, our parliament, our government, will all continue as usual (though still in need, in my view, of urgent reform). The Scottish parliament will continue, as before - we may even save the UK from fragmentation - as will the Welsh assembly. The NI assembly might even resume if the Good Friday agreement is saved from the impact of Brexit.

"Democracy" as a concept, as the principle on which our polity is allegedly based, will survive abandoning Brexit undamaged, if slightly battered.

Why assert this? You may ask. Because the referendum held in 2016 had no legal status other than as an advisory plebiscite. It did *not* bind any government to act on its result. That the Tories chose to promise to do so was a political choice, not a binding, unalterable course of action. That they have since chosen to disguise this in order to drive Brexit through is nothing short of scandalous.

Had the 2016 referendum had the legal status of a binding referendum, the argument that not to implement its decision would damage democracy may gain some force. Without that status, the notion of damage to democracy resulting from a considered decision not to proceed with the action indicated by its narrowly achieved result is, frankly, absurd.

That the High Court has explicitly stated that, had the 2016 referendum had the legal status of a binding referendum, the result would require to be anulled because of the breaches in campaign law perpetrated by the Leave campaigns, and that the referendum's decision to leave the EU could in fact *not* be anulled precisely *because* of the referendum's advisory-only status - underlines this.

We need to see the absurdity of this notion of "damage to democracy", which has gripped Leave voters and some Remain voters, challenged far more frequently, in my view.

The only "damage to democracy" that will have been caused by the whole sorry Brexit saga is, in my view, the vile distortion of the concept that the Tories have used to push through the whole destructive right-wing project.
spoonman, Boiler, lord_kobel and 6 others liked this
MMR Jab

Long after it was debunked they liked to ride two […]

Jeremy Corbyn.

He's absolutely running down the clock, because […]

The Sun

Song of the Yellowhammer "A little bit of br[…]

Dominic Lawson

He's right about it being stupidly hot in the Med […]