Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 33.2 % ❤ 4.8 % :thumbsup: 17.2 % 😯 1.7 % :grinning: 26.2 % 🧥 2.3 % 🙏 2.8 % 😟 6.8 % :cry: 3.1 % :shit: 2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Boiler wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:53 am
spoonman wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:26 am
The DUP won't announce a final decision on WA 2.0 until they listen to feedback from the UDA. An awkward truth.
Seriously? :shock:
Yeah. It'll be dressed up as "consultation with the community", but said community will be represented by men who know what wash cycle is best for a balaclava and who water the garden with WD40.

It won't matter long term. Like any progress, things will proceed without them for a while before they eventually buck and fall in line, selling it to their bovine voters as saving Ulster, putting manners on the Fenians and making moves for them. See literally every step of political progress since Sunningdale for details.
oboogie liked this
Farage has spoken. Not Brexit, apparently. He was never going to back it but how enthusiastic will he be in oppossing, and will he get much resonance with the Tory hard right? Will their "swivel eyed loons" get stuck into Johnson? If so, a messy Tory-Brexit Party fight is still on.
If the DUP's refusal to play ball with Johnson leads to Brexit being quashed in a referendum then they should breath a sigh of relief in private if they have any sense now they're a minority in their own statelet. There's no good outcome from this demented English nationalist project for Northern Irish or Scottish Unionists.
Arrowhead, Oblomov, oboogie liked this
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:32 am
Farage has spoken. Not Brexit, apparently. He was never going to back it but how enthusiastic will he be in oppossing, and will he get much resonance with the Tory hard right? Will their "swivel eyed loons" get stuck into Johnson? If so, a messy Tory-Brexit Party fight is still on.
Farage can only exist to oppose. Tactically it'll be good if Farage has the impact to damage Johnson's plans and voting base but thankfully I doubt he has anymore. I doubt many ERG loons will hold out but what's going on with Grieve and the whip-free Tory posse?
youngian wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:06 pm
Farage can only exist to oppose. Tactically it'll be good if Farage has the impact to damage Johnson's plans and voting base but thankfully I doubt he has anymore. I doubt many ERG loons will hold out but what's going on with Grieve and the whip-free Tory posse?
I suspect many of the "rebels" want back into the Cool Club and will vote for the deal. Letwin has already said he will support it, and Soames has been loyally retweeting Tory HQ pretty much the day since he was given the boot. The likes of Grieve, however, are too far down the 2nd Referendum path to turn around now.

No doubt the vote on Saturday will be presented to Parliament as "This Deal versus No Deal, DO OR DIE" in an effort to scare the Quiet Lifers on the opposition benches into action. In reality, the Benn Act essentially makes it a choice between Johnson's deal or another extension.

Then again, when did reality play any part in Brexiteer thinking over the course of the past three years?
Pretty sure it'll go through. Mogg and those like Mogg see it as their last chance to get Brexit over the line even if it's something they previously made a point of never supporting.

That's what's going to be frustrating about this. The whooping and celebrating from tabloids and Brexiters who, on record, stated they'd never vote for this deal previously yet nobody is really going to take them to task on it.

So much for "No deal is better than a bad deal".
Arrowhead liked this
2019 General Election

Corbyn comes across as weak to many, his tactic[…]

HIGNFY

I can't see the BBC surviving Johnson's first term[…]

The new leader of the Labour Party

On the plus side, if Long Bailey becomes the an[…]

Labour, Generally.

I assumed Blue Labour was either a joke, or a set-[…]