Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 35.1 % ❤ 5.1 % :thumbsup: 16.5 % 😯 1.8 % :grinning: 24.9 % 🧥 2 % 🙏 2.8 % 😟 6.1 % :cry: 3.8 % :shit: 1.8 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Boiler wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:35 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53192842
The government has begun the process of buying a UK-specific satellite navigation system.

PM Boris Johnson and Chancellor Rishi Sunak are understood to be keen on putting a 20% stake in satellite operator OneWeb. The UK is unable to access the EU's Galileo satellite navigation system following Brexit. The OneWeb system would be backup for the US-based Global Positioning System (GPS) if it is attacked or fails.
Best-rated comment:

Screenshot_2020-06-26 UK starts work on buying own sat-nav system.png

Very annoyed astronomers on Sky at Night showing what a pain in the arse low orbit satellites are to observing the skies. If only there was some better system already running that the UK could join and share the costs.
Boiler liked this
Bones McCoy wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:42 am
There are those of us who find the current obsession of shopping around and changing suppliers (for example the energy/telecomms/insurance industries) to be an unnecessary annoyance.
Perhaps an illustration of the bullshit end of Thatcher's free market dream.
You and me both; although what pisses me off more is the "loyalty tax" by various bodies whereby they surreptitiously take the piss by quietly hiking the price up hoping you won't notice; it's one of the reasons I'm considering binning BT for my phone/Internet but after experiencing TalkTalk I am very wary of getting bitten. I'm happy with LV for the car, and British Gas for fuel. Yet I know people who are obsessive about this and every year, it's all up for review... :roll:
Boiler wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:01 am
Bones McCoy wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:42 am
There are those of us who find the current obsession of shopping around and changing suppliers (for example the energy/telecomms/insurance industries) to be an unnecessary annoyance.
Perhaps an illustration of the bullshit end of Thatcher's free market dream.
You and me both; although what pisses me off more is the "loyalty tax" by various bodies whereby they surreptitiously take the piss by quietly hiking the price up hoping you won't notice; it's one of the reasons I'm considering binning BT for my phone/Internet but after experiencing TalkTalk I am very wary of getting bitten. I'm happy with LV for the car, and British Gas for fuel. Yet I know people who are obsessive about this and every year, it's all up for review... :roll:
I had a renewal quote for car insurance a few months ago that included an eye-watering rise, shopped around, got a much cheaper one, went back to my existing company and their next offer was about 20% lower than their opener and less than I was already paying.
oboogie liked this
I got an automatic renewal quote this year for about 900 quid, up from 7 and a bit. After a bit of searching, got a quote for 362 quid.

The quote was from my original insurers...

Is that how it's supposed to work? A 20% hike if you're not paying attention, or half price if you are? Bollocks. Absolute bollocks.
Timbo liked this
And Frost is becoming National Security Adviser, in place of Sir Mark Sedwill, who is getting the push for 'resisting political pressure' from Cummings. As far as I can see his only qualifications are blind loyalty to Johnson and no-deal Brexit. This has never been a political appointment before. This is important and very worrying.
Tubby Isaacs, Oblomov liked this
Well, nothing I can do will change things. We all knew 'no deal' was going to be the only acceptable outcome both in Government and the populace that voted for Brexit, and Johnson has taken on the persona of Trump in only appointing those slavishly loyal to him.

"Give it up, we lost."

Now, where's that thermal transfer grease gone, or have I got to buy more? :(
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:54 pm
And Frost is becoming National Security Adviser, in place of Sir Mark Sedwill, who is getting the push for 'resisting political pressure' from Cummings. As far as I can see his only qualifications are blind loyalty to Johnson and no-deal Brexit. This has never been a political appointment before. This is important and very worrying.
Remember how a few days ago there was talk of the UK buying into Oneweb?

https://www.cityam.com/trump-warns-agai ... y-efforts/
Businesses in the UK are “white-listed” under US law, meaning they are allowed to buy minority stakes in sensitive companies without raising national security concerns. However, Trump yesterday announced that the US will open a committee review if any members of the UK-led consortium are from non-white-listed nations.
The UK’s bid for Oneweb, which has its global headquarters in the UK but substantial operations in Florida, is said to have been commandeered by the Prime Minister’s top adviser Dominic Cummings, who is reportedly keen to level up the UK’s space exploration efforts.

However, UK Space Agency employees have warned the government that the GPS firm’s systems are inaccurate and could be susceptible to interference from anti-satellite weapons.
Education Redux

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/sep/27/[…]

Sundry far-right groups and parties.

Judeo-Christian - white. Except: visit any […]

We had cabinet office people on campus last Wednes[…]

US election 2020

https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/131036110[…]