Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 35.2 % ❤ 5 % :thumbsup: 16.7 % 😯 1.7 % :grinning: 24.9 % 🧥 2 % 🙏 3 % 😟 6 % :cry: 3.7 % :shit: 1.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
davidjay wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:18 pm
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:14 pm
3D chess beyond me here. If I were them, I'd say "We hadn't estimated quite how hard Britain would fight for its fishermen. Give us the City and it's a deal!"
The majority of Gammon would call that a fair swap. Bankers aren't really British, not like honest fishermen.
And they don't understand big numbers.
Stop whining, you're getting what you voted for.
Four years after Britain voted to leave the European Union Brexit can still seem abstract. But in the county known as the Garden of England, it is literally taking concrete form.

Just beyond the ancient oaks and yews that surround medieval St. Mary's Church in the village of Sevington, bulldozers, dump trucks and cement mixers swarm noisily over a field. They are chewing up land to create part of Britain’s new border with the European Union — a customs clearance depot with room for up to 2,000 trucks...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/b ... 8.html?amp
Jokey comments aside, did anybody really foresee this shit happening?
Kreuzberger liked this
Strictly speaking, I am not sure that anyone mentioned Sevington by name. However, 16+m were shouted down for raising the operational difficulties which occur when imports meet hunger and medicinal necessities.

"Project Fear", they howled. "Project Here", they got.

Kent? Fuck them.
Jokey comments aside, did anybody really foresee this shit happening?

It was in most analyses of what a No deal scenario would entail. But despite ‘Project Fear’ accusations few in the Remain campaign warned that a future government would be this insane. Naive in a way as Brexiters were never going accept a social compromise as the whole concept is beyond their consciousness.
Kreuzberger wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:12 pm
Strictly speaking, I am not sure that anyone mentioned Sevington by name. However, 16+m were shouted down for raising the operational difficulties which occur when imports meet hunger and medicinal necessities.

"Project Fear", they howled. "Project Here", they got.

Kent? Fuck them.
Wrong county I know, but it'll give the anti-HS2 brigade summat to roar about.
It's certainly been illuminating watching a bit of this on BBC Parliament tonight. For some reason during the Fisheries Bill, the telly freaked out and whilst the sound remained stable, the pictures went into a Max Headroom stylee judder and repetition. I assume the Panasonic couldn't make sense of it.
I think that that is probably it. 16th October 2020 and No Deal will mark the end of the beginning of the dissolution of The Union.

"Yes" is on 58% which is an eight point shift in half as many months. Johnson can't hold a candle to the effortless (and Teflon) Sturgeon.

It's just a question of "when" now.
The above is what is most likely to destroy the Tories outright: the party of the Union presiding over the collapse of same.

Meanwhile, I'm getting adverts from a well-known supplier suggesting that generators might be a useful thing to have on standby this winter... :(
Last edited by Boiler on Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talks between the UK and EU over a post-Brexit trade agreement are "over", Downing Street has said.

No 10 argued there was "no point" in discussions continuing next week unless the EU was prepared to discuss the detailed legal text of a partnership.

UK chief negotiator Lord Frost said he had told EU counterpart Michel Barnier there was now no "basis" for planned talks on Monday.

Number 10 said the two sides had agreed to talk again next week - by phone.

Earlier, EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen tweeted that the Brussels negotiating team would go to London after the weekend to "intensify" discussions. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-54566897

Boiler liked this
Boiler wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:36 pm
The above is what is most likely to destroy the Tories outright: the party of the Union presiding over the collapse of same.
Thing is, the party of the Union don't give a flying fuck about same. It is empire thinking. England and her dependents.

The vast majority of the parliamentary party and even more of their voters will offer little more than a shrug of the shoulders as Scotland "leaves". The correct term is "separates", but that tells you all you need to know about the Union from a general English perspective.

Englandshire will become what it becomes. A parody of itself in a few enduringly pretty areas and, as is the case with bullies, a grey, soulless scar on its own squandered potential.

Alone, consumed with blame and racism, barely pitied by a Biden U.S., and left banging on the windows of a geopolitical consensus of cooperation which it refuses to either accept or understand. Divorced from trade, cold-shouldered by the only thing is knows inside-out - financial services -, under a cloud of suspicion whenever data come in to the equation, and progressively locked out of vaccine research which is the only passport to normality at the moment.

For the avoidance of doubt; I didn't vote in the last IndyRef, because I no longer lived in Scotland and had no intention of returning. I harried my kids to vote "No", because it is my duty, as a parent, to advise them to do what I think is best for them. I was wrong and have apologised.
Twat of the Day

Took a look, and almost immediately saw a forged t[…]

Poppy Day bingo

Complete with wrong colours on the Spit. :roll: […]

Nicola Sturgeon sounding like Michael Gove on Brex[…]

On the Radio

R4’s Across the Red line asks whether impart[…]