•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Cabinet meets to discuss Theresa May's Florence speech on Brexit - Politics live

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... e#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's nothing like allowing plenty of time. And that's nothing like it.
Arnold wrote:
Cabinet meets to discuss Theresa May's Florence speech on Brexit - Politics live

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/bl ... e#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's nothing like allowing plenty of time. And that's nothing like it.
I'm not sure which comment Arnie is referring to in that link. It may well be this one;
Where in the fucking world would people be convened to discuss and decide a policy of vital national importance - in an non emergency situation- on a morning where the principal had flown in overnight, jet lagged, following a seven hour flight? The UN meeting is scheduled a year in advance. What serious person would shoehorn a cabinet meeting in the day between that and an agenda setting meeting in Florence? What a way to run a country.

Insanity.
I was referring to the headline but the comment also picked up my point. Discussion of her speech should have been well before now.
I should think the Cabinet had already approved the speech but following BoJo4000 it may have needed tinkering with to ensure there's no sign of splits in the Cabinet. The other purpose of th emeeting is probably to hand out dire warnings that any divergence from a united Cabinet would see the removal of ministers from their posts.
Daley Mayle wrote:I should think the Cabinet had already approved the speech
In normal times that would be a given, but.......
The Treasury's reluctance to even "mention the positives" of leaving the European Union risks Britain getting a bad Brexit deal, Theresa May's former chief of staff has warned.
What positives?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09 ... deal-nick/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sounds like someone out of a job but still with contacts and trying to stay relevant.
Arnold wrote:
Daley Mayle wrote:I should think the Cabinet had already approved the speech
In normal times that would be a given, but.......
BBC reporter saying that some had seen an early draft, but for most it was the first time they had seen the whole thing.
Presumably because the cabinet leaks like a sieve.
Arnold wrote:
The Treasury's reluctance to even "mention the positives" of leaving the European Union risks Britain getting a bad Brexit deal, Theresa May's former chief of staff has warned.
What positives?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09 ... deal-nick/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gather 'round me, everybody
Gather 'round me while I'm preachin'
Feel a sermon comin' on me
The topic will be sin and that's what I'm ag'in'
If you wanna hear my story
Then settle back and just sit tight
While I start reviewin'
The attitude of doin' right

You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
And latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between

You've got to spread joy up to the maximum
Bring gloom down to the minimum
Have faith or pandemonium's
Liable to walk upon the scene
mr angry manchester wrote:The trouble is that the only people who focus on, and have some idea about, the practical difficulties likely to be encountered with in Brexit are the ones who voted against it.

Oh the Brexshitters do know, they jes' ain't sayin'... you got to accentuate etc
Daley Mayle wrote:
Arnold wrote:
What positives?

Gather 'round me, everybody
Gather 'round me while I'm preachin'
Feel a sermon comin' on me
The topic will be sin and that's what I'm ag'in'
If you wanna hear my story
Then settle back and just sit tight
While I start reviewin'
The attitude of doin' right

You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
And latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between

You've got to spread joy up to the maximum
Bring gloom down to the minimum
Have faith or pandemonium's
Liable to walk upon the scene
I used to like that song.

Brexit ruins everything.
Holy smoke.

The really rather good Faisal Islam is saying that, following the Home Office's various deportation threats and Amber Rudd's casual attitude to the rule of law, Barnier is demanding that the European citizens in the UK retain recourse to the ECJ in perpetuity.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Apart from fringe nationalist nutters does anyone care if EU citizens retain their full rights? Unfortunately, fringe nationalist nutters make up a third of the Tory backbenches or join UKIP to steal Tory votes. That's who May is negotiating on behalf.

If that poll lead is accurate it wouldn’t […]

SPOTY

Sports Personality of the Year An old and tired f[…]

Liz Jones

A calibrated (sic) attack on Jo Cox by a lady who […]

News you won't see on the BBC

Was chatting with an old friend today, and we wang[…]