•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
As an aside, could you actually set up a more perfect propaganda distribution system than Wikileaks, if you were so inclined. Establish broad sensibility and lack of bias, them start spoiling anything that doesn't fit your narrative. The leakers would hardly be in a position to point it out, so there's no-one to say you're not still even handed.

Not saying that's what happened, or if it did it was the plan from the go, but who knows?

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
One of the big issues with Wikileaks nearly from the start was that they pretty much dumped otherwise classified files into the open without making any real effort of redacting information that could put innocent third parties mentioned in such documents in danger - the main one of the top of my head concerned a number of Jewish people living in Baghdad where their addresses were available. The excuse often trotted out is that the sheer amount of information available doesn't allow time for redactions to be done. Well don't publish them in the open! The Panama Papers were meticulously gone over for months before they were formally made available, and Edward Snowden at least seems to understand the risks of leaking data that can put innocent people at real risk.

As for Assange, he's always had a narcissistic attitude but if you can keep it under control you have a much better chance of not rubbing people up the wrong way with the God like complex he developed up to the point where he was pretty much telling the Ecuadorians that they should be privileged to have him in their embassy in London. That wasn't ever going to end well for him. I suspect that a combination of ego, a developing list of personal grudges (likely leading him to target the American Democrats) and being compromised by a country's security service or other agent sometime late last decade or early this one has led Assange to where he is now as an unlikeable figure where his former "controllers" no longer feel he's any use to them and will happily leave him stranded - that's assuming of course he has nothing to blackmail them with, but a competent secret service will make sure that doesn't happen.

Admittedly I can't generally be arsed to look at this twitter page, but I wonder if a certain Mr. Farage is now starting to get a little worried?

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:13 pm
Russia Today championing human rights.
Worth remembering that RT was the only station that broadcast "The Julian Assange Show" aka "The World Tomorrow".

But I wouldn't read much into RT's sidearm called Ruptly being the main source of footage of Assange being led away out of the embassy into the police van. There's nothing I see on the footage that makes me suspect of it not being authentic, and they tend to do a fair bit of "No comment" streamed live news coverage that can be quite useful.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
One of the big issues with Wikileaks nearly from the start was that they pretty much dumped otherwise classified files into the open without making any real effort of redacting information that could put innocent third parties mentioned in such documents in danger - the main one of the top of my head concerned a number of Jewish people living in Baghdad where their addresses were available.
It's almost like this stuff is more complicated than "let him go, he's a whistleblower!"

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
The President of Ecuador makes a statement on his government revoking Assange's asylum in their London embassy. If you take his story at straight value, the Ecuadorians must have had the patience of several saints from what Assange was getting up to. Certainly wouldn't want Assange sharing a flat with me.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Regardless of the case and the individual, the law and international assurances are a Thing.

"We won't extradite to countries with the death penalty."

"Unless they take our jam in return for chlorinated chicken."

Careful. Wishing. And all that.
Boiler liked this

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Kreuzberger wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:54 pm
Regardless of the case and the individual, the law and international assurances are a Thing.

"We won't extradite to countries with the death penalty."

"Unless they take our jam in return for chlorinated chicken."

Careful. Wishing. And all that.
Is it rather not the case that "We will not extradite someone to another country unless the charges do not allow for the death penalty as punishment, or where the death penalty is possible that the country wanting the extradition gives a diplomatic, trustworthy assurance that if the wanted person(s) were to be found guilty, the death penalty would not apply"?

Because from what has been reported about the 'merkins wanting his arse, the charge mentioned has a maximum penalty of five years imprisonment, so a far lower hurdle to clear for the extradition to be granted?

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
As an aside, given the rumours concerning Assange's personal hygiene alongside stories of him copying the dirty protests in HMP Long Kesh/Maze, I wonder if the room he was resident in is now a biosecurity hazard? The type of utterly ungodly filth that would make Kim & Aggie take one look and go "fuck this"!

By Boiler
spoonman wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:46 pm
As an aside, given the rumours concerning Assange's personal hygiene alongside stories of him copying the dirty protests in HMP Long Kesh/Maze, I wonder if the room he was resident in is now a biosecurity hazard?
I more thought a candidate for Shreddies.
The Independent Group for Change

Corbyn is no threat. The reason Labour show a &lsq[…]

Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

Fuck me. So Corbyn’s bigot’s lunch clu[…]

Well: this'll go down well with the Gammon... &q[…]

Emma Lewell-Buck seems to be a No Deal supporter t[…]