Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 25 % :thumbsup: 8.3 % :grinning: 50 % 🧥 16.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I've had a Facebook status claiming that Assange is a refugee. That is an insult to other refugees. He is a fugitive, and Ecuador has no power to give asylum to a fugitive who has not been charged with a political crime.

It's also useful to note that the Swedish system of justice does not charge at the beginning of the process of investigations (as we do) but at the end (like the French). So he would not be charged until after questioning, possibly for some time. Therefore the statement that he has not been charged is a red herring.

Sweden (like the UK) is a signatory of the European Convention on Human Rights, which stipulates that he cannot be extradited to any country in which he might face the death penalty or torture. So concerns that he might be extradited to the USA and face the death penalty is a red herring.

Sweden cannot send an investigating judge to work in another country, and to suggest that he should be questioned in the Ecuadorian Embassy (or the UK) is a red herring.

Assange's fanboys are trying every line they can to get their chubster out of trouble, but it is unjust and unfair that he does not answer accusations made against him. The Swedish women have rights, too.

By lord_kobel
Malcolm Armsteen wrote: Sweden (like the UK) is a signatory of the European Convention on Human Rights, which stipulates that he cannot be extradited to any country in which he might face the death penalty or torture. So concerns that he might be extradited to the USA and face the death penalty is a red herring.
Again, which they've already broken. So why think it'll hold up this time?

By Malcolm Armsteen
I give in. You're right. It's all a conspiracy.

No, I don't give in.

First of all state plainly (and not by fuzzy allusion) what it is that you are alleging.

Then offer proof of that, of an equal value to all the cases in which the British and Swedish governments have honoured their international treaty obligations.

Because this is all getting like, as I saw on Twitter today, the Assange Fans who are just politicised Beliebers.

By Malcolm Armsteen
I would like Lord Kobel to read this:
http://edinburgheye.wordpress.com/2012/ ... y-ecuador/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and then come back with his reactions to it, as well as the examples he seems to have of the UK or Swedish governments extraditing people to the USA without due process.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Given that Assange's lawyer has admitted the 'incidents' took place it seems difficult to maintain that they were fabricated, n'est-ce pas?

In fact he claimed that it was a 'honeytrap' - and that doesn't stand up, either.

Look at Assange's mother's comments. That's they key to understanding him.
Sir Keir Starmer

Note he has less of a solidified view and yet is s[…]

Jacob Rees-Mogg

I thought they had to do it in 8 minutes?

Boris Johnson

Useful idiot Dan Wootton has been charged with tel[…]

The LibDems, generally

Perhaps not she (Wera Hobhouse) and her husband […]