•  
  •  
  •  

By AOB
Membership Days Posts
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/39775

Postpone Norman Bettison's retirement

Responsible department: Home Office

On 4th September 2012, Sir Norman Bettison announced his decision to retire from his position as Chief Constable of West Yorkshire Police. He took this decision just days after he was referred to the IPCC for an investigation into his conduct in the aftermath of the Hillsborough disaster.

The Hillsborough Independent Panel's report into the disaster finally laid bare the truth about the events of 15th April 1989 and vindicated the families who have been fighting 23 years for justice. Allowing Mr Bettison to retire on full pension before a full investigation into his actions is completed and before any disciplinary proceedings can be considered would undermine the Government's public commitment to secure the justice that the victim's deserve.

Therefore we call on the Home Secretary to use whatever powers she has at her disposal to postpone the retirement of Mr Bettison until the outcome of the IPCC investigation and any subsequent disciplinary proceedings.

This little rat tried to jump ship when he could see what was coming. Whether a police employee can have his or her pension deferred in light of an investigation is something I don't know enough about. It may be a few years before this investigation is complete during which time he can live off a comfortable pension. I was doubtful like many about e-petitions when they started but it was the Hillsborough one which prompted the debate to get those files released in the first place. Bettison had a key role in the propaganda unit set up by South Yorkshire Police in their attempt to shift the blame away from themselves and onto the fans. Calling it propaganda is not being dramatic because in light of what we now know, that is what it was. Only this week West Yorkshire Police made a complaint about Bettison for trying to influence their decision to refer him (to the IPCC) by retiring. The link to the petition is above if you wish to sign it.

By newslove
Membership Days
Trevor Kavanagh has tried an astonishing about turn in his column this week

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... rough.html

But when the inquiries begin, I hope they will call four crucial witnesses who may never have spoken publicly about the deceit peddled to them by South Yorkshire Police.

I am talking about the then Home Secretary Douglas Hurd, Sports Minister Colin Moynihan, legendary Downing Street press chief Bernard Ingham and Mrs Thatcher’s Whitehall guru Charles Powell They are witnesses of unimpeachable integrity. And they were among the first to hear the false testimony cobbled together after football’s blackest day..

These four , despite lying and being at the heart of a massive cover up , are still to be regarded as of " unimpeachable integrity "
The testimony he wants is that these four can 'prove' that some liars weren't lying , they'd been lied to by a bigger bunch of liars and so when they lied they didn't think they were lying , so it's not really their fault

And the cherry on the cake

But as Lord Hurd, Lord Powell, Lord Moynihan and Sir Bernard Ingham would admit, the cleverest in the land can be deceived by a bent copper.

I really think that Trevor believes himself and other journalists qualify as being in the " cleverest in the land " category
By davidjay
Membership Days Posts
Ah, Colin Moynihan. The Minister for Sport responsible for identity cards. Who went to Italia 90 and told the Italians to do whatever they liked to the English. A few days later enough were arrested to exactly fill a plane that just happened to be waiting ready to deport them. Who alienated proper supporters so much that the Football Supporters Association began legal action for slander. Kicked out at the next general election and allowed into the Lords through the backest of back doors. Truly a statesman amongst mere mortals.
Last edited by davidjay on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Posts
Kavanagh carries on with the 'everyone ran the story' line. Yes - as ALLEGATIONS. Only one bestselling national ran a huge banner headline saying "The Truth".

Yes, the Sun has fallen over itself to apologise. And no, it's not washing. Maybe that's unfair, seeing as many people on the paper weren't working on it back in 1989. But enough were, and as Trevor says, part of his job as political editor, was to rein in Mackenzie and perhaps exercise a bit of caution, or investigate the story further. But he didn't. Mackenzie was just too powerful. It was the culture of the time. Nobody said a thing. Everyone was taken in by the massive cover-up.

Remind you of anyone in the news lately, Trevor?

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:Kavanagh carries on with the 'everyone ran the story' line. Yes - as ALLEGATIONS. Only one bestselling national ran a huge banner headline saying "The Truth".

Yes, the Sun has fallen over itself to apologise. And no, it's not washing. Maybe that's unfair, seeing as many people on the paper weren't working on it back in 1989. But enough were, and as Trevor says, part of his job as political editor, was to rein in Mackenzie and perhaps exercise a bit of caution, or investigate the story further. But he didn't. Mackenzie was just too powerful. It was the culture of the time. Nobody said a thing. Everyone was taken in by the massive cover-up.

Remind you of anyone in the news lately, Trevor?

Meanwhile we were stripping 16 year olds and posting their pictures in a national newspaper.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Any sign of the Cabinet papers?

What possible justification can there be for 30 years at the best of times, let alone in this case?
By davidjay
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Any sign of the Cabinet papers?

What possible justification can there be for 30 years at the best of times, let alone in this case?

There's a fair chance that the extent of a certain someone's knowledge of the whole affair might not reflect well on her.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Posts
Breaking News : Chief Constable of West Yorkshire has resigned.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
Not before time. Will prosecution follow?

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:Breaking News : Chief Constable of West Yorkshire has resigned.

Grabs gold-plated pension with both hands and jumps for a lifeboat.

That's another tarnished Knight.
2012 hasn't been a good year for them.
A couple more, and Gove can set an exam in memorising discredited knights in chronological order.

I'd be wondering about the value of the honours systems if I didn't know all about it's royal sprinkled goodness.

By AOB
Membership Days Posts
Former MP Sir Irvine Patnick dies

September's report confirmed him as one of the sources for a notorious Sun newspaper story that smeared Liverpool fans after the disaster.

It found that the story, under the headline "The Truth", had come from a news agency based on conversations with South Yorkshire Police and Sir Irvine.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
AOB wrote:Former MP Sir Irvine Patnick dies

September's report confirmed him as one of the sources for a notorious Sun newspaper story that smeared Liverpool fans after the disaster.

It found that the story, under the headline "The Truth", had come from a news agency based on conversations with South Yorkshire Police and Sir Irvine.

A berth awaits in the 10th ditch of Hell's 8th circle.
By davidjay
Membership Days Posts
Bones McCoy wrote:
AOB wrote:Former MP Sir Irvine Patnick dies

A berth awaits in the 10th ditch of Hell's 8th circle.

Just above David Duckinfield.

By mattomac
Membership Days Posts
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2013/01/16/margaret-thatcher-aide-sir-bernard-ingham-i-won-t-say-sorry-for-telling-liverpool-to-shut-up-about-hillsborough-100252-32608590/

Intriguing piece especially for the line...

“I am not playing games over this,” Sir Bernard said

“I hope that I make this absolutely clear. I believe a political game is being played over this, and I am not [taking part].

Is this going to be the continued approach when much more information spills from that era.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Yes, very clearly in their almost universally wh[…]

SPOTY

Yeah...the Mailites are really not happy! Supe[…]

Europe? And the Future of Britain in Europe

Do a lot of the daft gits who voted leave know tha[…]

Question Time

As if to prove your point... https://twitter.[…]