•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Messianic Trees
Membership Days Posts
The comments on the Spectator article aren't very supportive:
"Was it picked out because the paper had always backed Thatcher, while the city had always been pro-Labour?"

No, you fat idiot, it's because you - and you alone - put "The Truth" above what were only allegations - utterly untrue allegations - in the hope that the impact of such a headline would help sell more papers.
By Fozzy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I so wish I acted for South Yorkshire police, it would be so much fun responding to that letter. This bit is particularly enjoyable:
In a key passage, he writes:

"Now I know — you know, we all know — that the fans were right. But it took 23 years, two inquiries, one inquest and research into 400,000 documents, many of which were kept secret under the 30-year no-publication rule, to discover there was a vast cover-up by South Yorkshire police about the disaster. Where does that leave me?"
Where that leaves you, Kelvin, is as someone who was at the time a very experienced and powerful Fleet Street Editor who chose to ignore his own reporter's expressions of caution, and failed to take the elementary precaution which the Daily Mirror editor did, of insisting that corroborative evidence be obtained before he would even consider printing the story. It leaves you as the person who decided not only to accept without question a news agency press release relying on the third hand evidence of unnamed police officers (without checking if they existed or were even at Hillsborough), but also to print it with a big banner headline saying "The Truth". In short, it leaves you as the person who was solely responsible for the well-deserved consequences of his actions who is however still weak and stupid enough to be refusing to do so.

As was pointed out on The News Quiz last week, the whole thing was particularly crass given that the entire tragedy was televised and, if there was repeated conduct of the type reported, it could not fail to have been picked up and extensively reported.

If I were responsible for replying to the complaint, I'd be seriously tempted to send round a spade with the comment that Kelvin had spent 23 years digging himself ever deeper into the hole he created and he probably needed a new one by now.
By smod
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:No I'm not, I'm a very realistic cunt.
Sorry Malcolm, I was referring in general to MacKenzie. I shouldn't type so much on my iPod Touch. It was in no reference to your good-self.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
smod wrote:
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:No I'm not, I'm a very realistic cunt.
Sorry Malcolm, I was referring in general to MacKenzie. I shouldn't type so much on my iPod Touch. It was in no reference to your good-self.
Did you say iPod? Liberal hypocrite!

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/th ... -liberals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like that Laurie Penny. And me.
Labour, Generally.

It's a certainty that when the Corbyn/May deal i[…]

Claire Fox

Makes you wonder what Damascene revelation caused […]

The Brexit Party

He's had a huge amount of influence, though. He […]

Driver, 23, who spent £3,000 lowering his […]