•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Picklechu2
Membership Days Membership Days
I feel horrifically ignorant of this story. Does anyone have a good primer for idiots like me? I freely admit I don't know a great deal about Northern Island so none of my questions are intended to cause any insult

It seems an extreme reaction to a story about a flag. Why is it such a big deal?
Why does every journalist reporting on N. Ireland come from there? In other BBC nations and regions broadcasting there were always some local voices, but always some from out of town too.
Do the Police not respond to the rioting and arrest people by the dozen?
R4 wheeled out Ruth Dudley Edwards - the Irishwoman who so desperately wishes she wasn't - to talk shite about this before. She tried to pin the blame on Sinn Fein, but wasn't it the SDLP who put the motion forward? The other bloke they had on was from the PUP, so presumably this is their idea of balance.
Picklechu2 wrote:I feel horrifically ignorant of this story. Does anyone have a good primer for idiots like me?
Der Spiegel has a decent article on it.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/eur ... 76352.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
spoonman wrote:
Littlejohn's brain wrote:I have a real worry that Northern Ireland is slipping back towards the dark ages of the Troubles
It's nowhere near that. At the moment it's more of a power struggle within unionism & loyalists that has spilled over, mainly in East Belfast. Without getting into too much detail, had Peter Robinson spent more time dealing with issues in the area as an MP rather than get involved in dodgy property development deals, perhaps along with his wife not going about as a sex-starved cougar, then the current demonstrations would likely be a heck of a lot more peaceful.
That's one take on it, certainly. I had thought the DUP's days as The Grand Old Duke Of York of loyalism* were ended with Paisley, but poor ould Robbo appears to have called the mob out into the streets without any of the control Big Ian had. It certainly had all the hallmarks of a transparent attempt to undermine Naomi Long and the Alliance Party early on, but he's lost the run of it.

*For he would march them up to the top of the hill, march them down again, but as soon as the bricks, bottles or bullets did fly, they were fuck all to do with him, no siree.

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:"Nurse! Oboogie thinks he's a chicken!"
"Do you want me to cure him?"
"No, we need the eggs."
"Cure"? - you think there's something wrong with being a chicken do you?
What a fowl man you are!
MisterMuncher wrote:
spoonman wrote:
Littlejohn's brain wrote:I have a real worry that Northern Ireland is slipping back towards the dark ages of the Troubles
It's nowhere near that. At the moment it's more of a power struggle within unionism & loyalists that has spilled over, mainly in East Belfast. Without getting into too much detail, had Peter Robinson spent more time dealing with issues in the area as an MP rather than get involved in dodgy property development deals, perhaps along with his wife not going about as a sex-starved cougar, then the current demonstrations would likely be a heck of a lot more peaceful.
That's one take on it, certainly. I had thought the DUP's days as The Grand Old Duke Of York of loyalism* were ended with Paisley, but poor ould Robbo appears to have called the mob out into the streets without any of the control Big Ian had. It certainly had all the hallmarks of a transparent attempt to undermine Naomi Long and the Alliance Party early on, but he's lost the run of it.

*For he would march them up to the top of the hill, march them down again, but as soon as the bricks, bottles or bullets did fly, they were fuck all to do with him, no siree.
It might help too if politicians in NI didn't stand for every elected position going at the same time.

By spoonman
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:It might help too if politicians in NI didn't stand for every elected position going at the same time.
They're starting to move away from that though, Martin McGuinness has resigned his Mid-Ulster MP seat while three other SF MP's have resigned as MLA's. The DUP have also started cutting down on double/triple jobbing too, though a few like Ian Paisley Jr. and Gregory Campbell are still both MP's & MLA's. Same goes for the SDLP, Margaret Ritchie and Alistiar McDonnell still double job but Mark Durkan didn't stand for MLA reelection in 2011.

By spoonman
MisterMuncher wrote:
spoonman wrote:

I agree. Robinson though he was untouchable at the last General Election and got a rude awakening. He's been bitter about it privately since. Those leaflets being passed around East Belfast about Alliance and the "fleg" last November had nothing to do with the DUP, oh no! But as you say, when they let the dogs out they didn't bring near enough enough leashes with them, and the strays have now been picked up by 'intellectual heavyweights' like Frazer. Any chance some education lessons can be thrown in?

Oh, hasn't that one got a little special resonance...

You may recall some years past, a young Filipino nurse attempting to get to work in the City Hospital from the Donegall Pass, running into the teeth of some loyalist display/march/lamppost-pissing going on at the time. She was hounded from her car and fled back to her house. Said geniuses went on to attack the offices of Anna Lo (Alliance, natch), because them forrins is all the same, and she had the interminable cheek to offer the opinion that medical care had slightly higher priority than a celebration of what King Billy was at a few hundred years ago.

Mind you, Anna (who is an absolute gem, politically and personally) seems to be the go-to target for the apes in that particular area.

By spoonman
A number of loyalist organised "Operation Standstill" protests which took place yesterday evening. In two shining examples of compassion and dignity, in Whiteabbey a man visiting a local hospital to see his terminally ill wife was stopped and turned away by "protesters" whom then started chanting "cheerio, cheerio..." while in Omagh a number of protesters went through the town's hospital grounds to chase after a private car that managed to break through their cordon on a neighbouring road after it was approached upon by members of the group.

I don't care what opinion, if any, people might have over what is at the end of it all a trivial issue especially as business in Belfast and beyond is taking a brunt in all of this, but the incidents in the above paragraph (the former especially) are an absolute fuckin disgrace. :evil:
Over the Twitters and suchlike, a number of local Hospitality businesses organised an "Operation Sit-In" to run concurrently, with offers and suchlike, to try and encourage people to keep going into town, and to shore up their business which has been decimated by this palaver. They've pretty much all been receiving torrents of telephone abuse today, some of it utterly vile, but staying just short of outright threats.

Meanwhile, the bould Mike Nesbitt, leader of the UUP has come forth to pronounce it a "bad 24 hours for the image of unionism". I'd imagine it's been a worse 24 hours for the 3 dozen injured cops, the old folk trapped in their homes, that poor old fella visiting the hospice* et al. But as long as he has his priorities right.

*There's been much hair-splitting over this issue. Initially, the minds of loyalism were denouncing it as fake, Sinn Fein propaganda. The latest nuance is that it did happen, but said old fella was on his way home, not to the hospice, so apparently, that's grand.

By spoonman
Taken from Twitter. It looks like there will be two more "Operation Standstill" events next week :evil: :evil: , though curiously no sign of that oft-talked about protest in Dublin...

I have two questions in my mind about these lists, sadly becoming a bit of a fixture.

1) They've been sitting outside the Alliance office on the Newtonards Road every fecking day since this began. At what point can this reasonably, legally be declared criminal harassment?

2) What's up with the lack of Wednesday and Thursday protests? Seems childish and a bit presumptuous to put it down the main body of the thing needing to go sign in, is there something I've missed?

Of course, the other big, glowing Orange elephant in the room is the UVF supergrass trial, the PUP's (UVF Politicals) sudden switch from support for a designated days system, and the fact that rioting is pretty well confined to UVF held areas. On the UDA-heavy Shankill, there's not a dicky-bird. Anyone continuing the pretence this is purely loyalist anger about the flag is missing a fairly big picture. Yes, it may have started that way, and yes, those who opened the taps need to be called to account, but it's gone a bit beyond that now.
The Trump Presidency

Meanwhile in...Santa Monica https://twitter.com[…]

Dominic Cummings

I dunno about the rest of you, but if there really[…]

Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

Bloke I chat politics with on the semi-regular r[…]

Boris Johnson

Gone down well with the plebs again, I see, Alex..[…]