•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
MisterMuncher wrote:She was a shoe-in. Young enough to be plausibly troubles free, from west of the Bann so plays well with rural voters and of the liberal shinner wing
Connor Murphy must be a little annoyed.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
MisterMuncher wrote:Much obliged. I do bland autocorrect partly in this instance, but really should have checked.
Quite a good eggcorn, mind. Brings to mind visions of a huge disembodied boot nudging the subject, stumbling, forward into the relevant position with a softish kick up the arse.

By bluebellnutter
Britain Elects‏
@britainelects

Northern Irish VI:

DUP 26.3% (-2.9)
SF 25.3% (+1.3)
SDLP 12.2% (+0.2)
ALLI 9.4% (+2.4)
TUV 4.4% (+1.0)
(via LucidTalk)
Chgs w/ 2016 results

By MisterMuncher
It's really going to be about transfers. Anecdotally, DUP aren't picking up much beyond second banana after a first preference DUP vote, whereas SF are holding up better. I anticipate SDLP and UUP doing pretty well out of them, and Alliance making up serious ground.

In my own constituency, there's been a cut from 6 to 5 MLAs returned. All things being equal, to last time that would knock the UUP's McKee out. I'd say the distribution of votes between him and Jim Wells of the DUP will tell the tale of this election. If Wells isn't elected by the 5th or 6th round, it's looking very bad for the DUP

By MisterMuncher
Watching Twitter avidly.

Turnout is apparently well up, but not universally. Some reports suggest that capital-L Loyalist areas have seen a drop in votes (There's a subset who will vote for DUP or no-one, and no-one has apparently won). For example, polling station in Loyalist area of North Belfast was showing 30-odd percent turnout at 5pm. Its counterpart in a greener end of the constituency had hid 50, and by 8pm had broken 70.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
MisterMuncher wrote: I anticipate SDLP and UUP doing pretty well out of them, and Alliance making up serious ground. For example, polling station in Loyalist area of North Belfast was showing 30-odd percent turnout at 5pm. Its counterpart in a greener end of the constituency had hid 50, and by 8pm had broken 70.
So centrist consensus may come to Stormont while England has become a one party state where people with Union Jacks yell at you for being a traitor.

By MisterMuncher
It's some fucked up shit, alright.

Turnout figures largely holding up to earlier trends, with a number of commentators observing that Arlene's performance has galvanized Nationalist and centrist voters. The DUP petition of concern veto, requiring 30 seats to enact, is probably dead, so equal marriage is on the way, and possibly an Irish language act too.

This has apparently punched Arlene's ticket, word has it that win, lose or draw, her P45 is in the post. Jeffrey Donaldson and Nigel Dodds probably measuring the bosses' office for curtains right about now.

By MisterMuncher
Bloody hell! The shinners seem unstoppable. One other party leader stood down already, and 1 or 2 others circling the drain. It'll be an interesting night to see how the transfers go down, I can see Alliance gaining more ground. SDLP look finished as a party.

By MisterMuncher
That might well have been the aim. Brilliant to see, but Nelson McCausland losing his seat, and Poots going full mental? Priceless.

It's no accident that most newly minted shinner MLA's are women. They're playing chess, and Arlene barely stretched to exy ozies.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
McCausland losing was lulz worthy. Haven't seen Poots' interview yet but I've read it was fairly colourful. Maurice Morrow losing his seat in Fermanagh & South Tyrone should give him more time to sort out traffic problems in Coalisland.

Sinn Fein the big winners, but I wouldn't say the SDLP are done yet, 11 seats is probably better than they expected though their performance in Foyle should be a concern. Perhaps it's the ongoing progress of a slow lingering death of a thousand cuts to the party but I don't think the last rites should be applied yet.
The Group of Seven

plus the tingy group don't actually want to sta[…]

Derek Hatton

I didn’t think I’d ever say that! I[…]

Swivel-Eyed Loons

https://twitter.com/cj_dinenage/status/10978103902[…]

Paul Thomas Redux

A grown-up take on the story https://i.guim.co.u[…]