•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By oboogie
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Lots of people on Facebook and Twitter are claiming a United Ireland is a solution to the trade problems caused by the NI protocol.
I don't see how.
The cause of the problem is that GB has left the Single Market whilst NI is effectively still in it.
A United Ireland won't change that, it won't make the Irish Sea border go away, there would be the same barriers to trade between a united Ireland (including NI) and GB as there are currently between GB and the continent.
I can't see any trade advantage as there is already free trade between NI and ROI (and the rest of the EU) so no gain there either.
Have I missed something?

By Andy McDandy
You have to have a border somewhere, and wherever it is risks terrorism. Unless you opt into the single market. Which you won't get because this is being organised on our side by comfortable people with nothing personally at stake, giving their followers, who they consider morons, what they think they want.

AFAICS, the "united Ireland" argument from the right acknowledges that there will be terrorism, probably from the unionists, but it will no longer be "our" problem.

By oboogie
I'm most commonly seeing a united Ireland being advocated by Corbynistas on Labour forums. For some, unexplained, reason they seem to think this will ease trade across the Irish Sea.
It won't.
The other point is the urgency.
There's a crisis in NI right now.
A united Ireland is years away, even if the decision to hold a border poll was announced today.

By Bones McCoy
When the new regional manager arrives and unrolls his "new disruptive strategy" ....
12 months later when the new regional manager is replaced.

youngian wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:13 am
'No one is speaking up for the DUP apart from me, Gove and the DUP.' What happened to the technology Hoey promised to maintain a soft border in Ireland?

By davidjay
Andy McDandy wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:55 am
You have to have a border somewhere, and wherever it is risks terrorism. Unless you opt into the single market. Which you won't get because this is being organised on our side by comfortable people with nothing personally at stake, giving their followers, who they consider morons, what they think they want.

AFAICS, the "united Ireland" argument from the right acknowledges that there will be terrorism, probably from the unionists, but it will no longer be "our" problem.
Ireland is a complex question with no clear answer, and that will never do with the bar room philosophers who think Nigel should be Lord Farage. Better to just let them get on with killing each other.

By Kreuzberger
"Excludes N.I., I.O.M, and the Scottish Islands" has been in the terms and conditions for decades. Duh!
Projective Unity liked this

By The Red Arrow
Perhaps of some relevance.

Empire shaped Ireland's past. A century after partition, it still shapes our present
Michael D Higgins
Only by remembering complex, uncomfortable aspects of Britain and Ireland’s shared history can we forge a better future

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... in-history

By Bones McCoy
Kreuzberger wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:15 pm
"Excludes N.I., I.O.M, and the Scottish Islands" has been in the terms and conditions for decades. Duh!
It starts with the cheese and pineapple.
Before you know it you're obliging suppliers to ship grand pianos to Donegal for free.

Poppy Day bingo

Might pop in for a pint, meeself. You'll be po[…]

SNP

https://scontent.flhr3-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1[…]

Matthew Goodwin

This man speaks for me. https://twitter.com/eadin[…]

Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

Jez is leading the real opposition by calling for […]