Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 42.2 % ❤ 3.5 % :thumbsup: 7.9 % 😯 3.8 % :grinning: 35.5 % 🧥 1.4 % 🙏 0.9 % 😟 1.9 % :cry: 2.2 % :shit: 0.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
You're missing out on the modern pirates of the Caribbean. They take the booty from innocent pension funds and secrete it about the desk drawers of the palm-fringed isles, before relaxing back on the beach with lusty wenches and copious amounts of rum. Desperate men, flying in the face of international law and common decency, resigned to the only life they know.

[/satire]

By Killer Whale
The Barbary Corsairs were, of course the source of the right wing "Black people captured white slaves, too" trope that completely, deliberately and disingenuously ignores that the key feature of the Atlantic slave trade was its industrialisation of racist slavery.

By Boiler
Well, here's a blow:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/polit ... eal/07/01/
Hopes of a flurry of post-Brexit trade deals were dashed this week after the Australian government rejected a UK offer that included visa-free work and travel between the two countries.

Trade minister Simon Birmingham said full free movement would not be accepted because it could cause an exodus of highly trained workers to the UK and an influx of unskilled British workers to Sydney and Melbourne.

By Kreuzberger
It was always so that there were two types of Australian. The adventurous, open types whom you would meet on their travels, and the BBQ-tending bigots who stayed at home. Seems like that has really changed in recent years. I hear nothing but good said about Sidney and especially Melbourne.

So yes, I can well imagine Anglos following in their miscreant forbears' footsteps. But the other way around? They would be certifiable to give up forth place on the Quality of Life Index for 19th, down from 13th in, you guessed it, 2016.

By Bones McCoy
Watchman wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:06 pm
But, I thought we’d recruited a former Aussie PM to help smooth such deals
Pity they recruited a guy that most of Oz think of as a cunt.
mattomac liked this

By Bones McCoy
Watchman wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:59 pm
Well, when I was working, if I'd told my boss that the company was going down the shitter because I went to see son was playing second donkey....you can guess the rest
Yebbut the women can multi-task. *

* Possible pseudoscientific unproven bollocks.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:00 pm
"This is what you voted for", part 127,593 of a series.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... venge.html
In his comparison with the seamless border crossings to Switzerland, I notice Robert Hardman didn't mention that the Swiss government acted like grown-ups and negotiated with the EU for the privilege of not having their lorry drivers queue up for months and then have their sandwiches confiscated. Something our oh-so-brilliant brexit negotiators completely forgot about. Nope, it's all the EU's fault. :roll:
The Trump Presidency

Some interesting legal thoughts are emerging on th[…]

"Boris" Johnson

How odd that Johnson says it's a matter for Bide[…]

Round the Blogs

And in the comments I haven’t read the jud[…]

Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

Anyone else read that as ARSE first time round? […]