Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 42.4 % ❤ 3.8 % :thumbsup: 7.1 % 😯 3.5 % :grinning: 35.7 % 🧥 1.3 % 🙏 1.2 % 😟 2.1 % :cry: 2.3 % :shit: 0.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By spoonman
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I take it that the MoS is now an affiliate of Infowars. It's taken four "journalists" to come up with this.

By Snowflake
Can only hope their share price has taken a hammering during the recent stockmarket meltdown, and they need clicks and advertising revenue as their readership self-isolates with nothing better to do. The number of un-moderated comments per article will probably double or triple over the next few weeks.

By Kreuzberger
Not a fucking chance. In developments that are beginning to rock German civil society to its core, we are missing the 40,000 seasonal workers who come over from Central and Eastern Europe to pick our asparagus.

There's a lot of symbolism there. Not only does thick, fleshy, white asparagus taste great, it signifies the onset of warm balmy days, beer gardens, swimming in the lake, etc etc. Also, Hitler banned it.

The probability of them instead going to Plagueland, with an upfront healthcare premium, to pick cabbages in the Lincolnshire drizzle must be in negative territory.

By Boiler
There was something akin to a harvest going on near me a couple of weeks ago: not sure what it was being extracted from the ground but it was a continuous, 72-hour long operation.

Fenton had a suggestion...

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
We must stop kow towing to these despots (Says IDS, but only after we've bought their 5G networking gear).

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Kreuzberger wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:46 pm
There's a lot of symbolism there. Not only does thick, fleshy, white asparagus taste great, it signifies the onset of warm balmy days, beer gardens, swimming in the lake, etc etc. Also, Hitler banned it.
Do we know what threat asparagus posed to the Third Reich?

By Kreuzberger
Anecdotally, as in "a bloke in a cookbook antiquariat told me", Adolf didn't consider it to be soldierly enough and certainly not a food of the people. Being something of an authoritarian, he went ahead and banned it.

Only after the war did it return to German dinner plates and, for decades, the recipe remained very rigid. Spargel with schnizel, boiled potatoes, and Hollandaise. Alternatives are smoked, cured ham or plaice. Broken bits can be made in to soup.

So yes, it is very symbolic and the official announcement of the opening season is looked forward to by just about everyone. Hence, the need for a vast, temporary army to haul the stuff out of the ground.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Kreuzberger wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:46 pm
Not a fucking chance. In developments that are beginning to rock German civil society to its core, we are missing the 40,000 seasonal workers who come over from Central and Eastern Europe to pick our asparagus.

The probability of them instead going to Plagueland, with an upfront healthcare premium, to pick cabbages in the Lincolnshire drizzle must be in negative territory.
Adolf banned Asparagus?

I always sensed he was a wrong'un.
Sir Keir Starmer

Note he has less of a solidified view and yet is s[…]

Jacob Rees-Mogg

I thought they had to do it in 8 minutes?

Boris Johnson

Useful idiot Dan Wootton has been charged with tel[…]

The LibDems, generally

Perhaps not she (Wera Hobhouse) and her husband […]