Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 41.8 % ❤ 3.7 % :thumbsup: 7.6 % 😯 3.7 % :grinning: 36.3 % 🧥 1.3 % 🙏 1 % 😟 1.9 % :cry: 2.2 % :shit: 0.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Earlier today I saw someone on FB arguing that the 1974 local government act (merging some counties and creating areas such as Greater Manchester and Merseyside) was part of an EU plot to undermine British history and form soulless regions all the better for our eventual subjugation. Because Heath apparently, who simultaneously knew/didn't know/knew but didn't care what was going to happen when he took us into the common market.

No point arguing. Had to de-friend someone already today for arguing that Williamson was a hard worker doing an impossible job, and that he'd like to see anyone doing better. Not going to argue the toss with a random bod.

By Tubby Isaacs
Ah Christ, not the 1974 reorganization of local government. Why do cranks bang on about that? Is it just the Heath connection?

Same people moaning about this are the ones who would have complained about places that places that were "basically Manchester" swinging Lancashire council elections against them. The same people also insist on maintaining loads of district councils because they wouldn't win a unitary county council election every year.

By The Red Arrow
Publicised after the event - I suspect that I'm not alone in wishing I knew these criminals were coming to Hometown-on-Sea. I'd have gone to town for the first time in five months and boosted the economy by buying a couple of milk shakes.
Mr Rees-Mogg was pleased to encourage visitors to come to the town to help boost the economy. Both he and Mr Drax think rebuilding the economy outweighs any risk of an increased rate of coronavirus infection tourists may bring to Dorset.

Mr Drax added: "I think if the infection rate goes up then we just need to get on with it. People are happy to make their own decisions. We all need to get on with our lives and use our common sense."
https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/18659 ... -weymouth/

By Andy McDandy
Quite. Prior to 1974 the Birmingham area was split between 3 counties, plus the city council. Many of the 'new' areas were areas that threatened to suck the life out of the predominantly rural counties they were part of. So Bristol gets calved off of Gloucestershire, Merseyside and Greater Manchester off Lancashire, a few old anomalies dating back to the middle ages get tidied up...

But yeah, this guy was saying that as a Leaver he couldn't accept the 1974 boundaries, because of the EU connection. Life is too short.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Again the EU has the temerity to refuse the UK privileges of belonging to a single market they’ve chose to leave. I hear the latest wheeze by Frost is to threaten to charge Irish trucks for using UK motorways. Ireland’s bought two fuck off super ferries probably in anticipation of this nonsense.
oboogie liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
Andy McDandy wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:35 pm
Quite. Prior to 1974 the Birmingham area was split between 3 counties, plus the city council. Many of the 'new' areas were areas that threatened to suck the life out of the predominantly rural counties they were part of. So Bristol gets calved off of Gloucestershire, Merseyside and Greater Manchester off Lancashire, a few old anomalies dating back to the middle ages get tidied up...

But yeah, this guy was saying that as a Leaver he couldn't accept the 1974 boundaries, because of the EU connection. Life is too short.
Indeed it is.

West Midlands, Merseyside and Greater Manchester have held up very well, I think. Avon wasn't popular, but the bits N of Bristol were made into a new unitary, the not at all confusingly named South Gloucestershire. I don't know if Brexiters are happy with that or holding out for restoration to Gloucestershire proper.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Hopefully, with Brussels out of the way we can have Huntingdonshire and the Soke of Peterborough back. This country's not functioned properly since we lost those. The most important thing, though, is to make sure Ivinghoe gets put back in Hertfordshire where it belongs.

I'm willing to put up with any number of other people losing their jobs and homes if it means these important issues are sorted out. [/Brexiter]
Boiler, Tubby Isaacs liked this

By spoonman
The Red Arrow wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:31 pm
Publicised after the event - I suspect that I'm not alone in wishing I knew these criminals were coming to Hometown-on-Sea. I'd have gone to town for the first time in five months and boosted the economy by buying a couple of milk shakes.
Mr Rees-Mogg was pleased to encourage visitors to come to the town to help boost the economy. Both he and Mr Drax think rebuilding the economy outweighs any risk of an increased rate of coronavirus infection tourists may bring to Dorset.

Mr Drax added: "I think if the infection rate goes up then we just need to get on with it. People are happy to make their own decisions. We all need to get on with our lives and use our common sense."
https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/18659 ... -weymouth/
BiB: The mantra of right-wing Britain: "Shit Happens" (unless it affects me).
Meanwhile in New Zealand

According to twitter she's simultaneously an examp[…]

Nigel Farage

He used to be a solicitor. He has taken the curs[…]

Labour, Generally.

I got my NEC ballot by email today. That'll be a t[…]

Roll Call

Well that's that. Berchtesgaden is in the throes o[…]