Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 42.1 % ❤ 3.8 % :thumbsup: 7.5 % 😯 3.8 % :grinning: 36 % 🧥 1.2 % 🙏 1 % 😟 1.9 % :cry: 2.1 % :shit: 0.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By spoonman
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:23 pm
Nice sighting of "Parliament can't bind its successors" from Mark Reckless. That's rubbish at the best of times. But the WA was passed by this Parliament.
Even that being the case, international treaties don't lapse when a parliamentary session lapses. I.E. the UK's membership of NATO, WTO, OSCE etc. doesn't just suddenly end when a General Election is called.

May I suggest a quick read of the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties (1969) for such gobshites?
Article 27
Internal law and observance of treaties
A party may not invoke the provisions of its internal law as justification for its failure to perform a treaty. This rule is without prejudice to article 46.
https://legal.un.org/ilc/texts/instrume ... 1_1969.pdf

Edit: Just to add...

Edit No. 2: As a reply in the tweet points out, if you try to play the card Reckless is doing, doesn't this give precedence then to any UK government to unilaterally pull out of any international treaty simply because of a Parliamentary term expiring, like say a future trade agreement with the USA? For a supposed economist & lawyer, Reckless doesn't appear to be the sharpest tool in the box.
Last edited by spoonman on Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oboogie liked this

By Kreuzberger
Boiler wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:07 pm
Just remember the 2012 vibe, folks.
2021 is shaping up to be, shall we say, rather "challenging" for the Britishers.

You won't have the money for the things that aren't in the shops, and, if the 'rona doesn't get you, the IRA will.
oboogie liked this

By Kreuzberger
mr angry manchester wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:14 pm
Can we join you in Germany, K?
Not considering getting out if-at-all-possible would, in my view, be an act of avoidable self-harm.

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
What make me chuckle is the "they need us more than we need then brigade"; do they not realise that Barnier represents all 27 member states and has been given a mandate by them on how to proceed, and you can be absolutely certain that the 27 trade ministers have got their heads together and have agreements ready to go from 1st Jan

By The Red Arrow
Kreuzberger wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:58 pm
Boiler wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:07 pm
Just remember the 2012 vibe, folks.
2021 is shaping up to be, shall we say, rather "challenging" for the Britishers.

You won't have the money for the things that aren't in the shops, and, if the 'rona doesn't get you, the IRA will.
...or those organised criminal gangs of disco dancers.

Watchman liked this

By spoonman
I'll be honest, I'm seriously looking at now "prepping" some essentials for the inevitable SHTF at the start of next year considering the way things are going.

The Oil-Fired Central Heating tank is around 60% full, and could probably take another 500 litres. It usually only gets filled up once per year but with the potential for the £'s collapse it might be better to do so sooner rather than later.

My electric service is on a pre-paid meter and usually runs at around £14-17 a month - I normally put in £100 at a time to give me approx. six months of supply - again if the £ collapses then electric prices are likely to rise but with the way pre-paid metres work over here it is advantageous to "top up" when prices are low as the tarriff is only set when a code for credit is generated, so it might be worth adding another few months worth to the meter.

My general diet tends to consist of stuffs that don't have years of long shelf lives - fortunately a fair bit of it is local produce and if the worst comes to the worst, the border with the Republic is about 10 miles away even if the £ to € conversion gets desperate. Add to that a camping stove with enough gas supply if the worst came to the worst.

Bog Roll - yep, that counts. The stock I built up last year is now near depletion, maybe another two or three 18 packs of Nikki's finest should help.

The garden shed has a 100 watt solar panel - mind you that's not likely to be terribly useful in the middle of January in one of the dullest parts of the island of Ireland, but it should have just about enough "oomph" to at least power some batteries and USB power packs as well as low-consumption electronics e.g. radios & mobile phones, not to mention the big leisure battery can be charged via the mains if needed/allowed.

So to the general forum posters, am I overreacting or do I need to go even further and take out all my savings and put them into gold and plant seeds as well as putting an order in for a shotgun?
oboogie liked this

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
Our spare room has been a storeroom of tinned/dry goods for over two years now. First Brexit, then COVID. Now Brexit again. We're currently running down stocks as some of the codes are getting close.
We're regular campers and I have laid in extra gas which will see us through shortages in the short term.

Any guidance on solar panels and leisure batteries would be gratefully received. I'm looking at something small, cheap and portable such as could be dual purposed for camping.

By Bones McCoy
spoonman wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:28 pm
I'll be honest, I'm seriously looking at now "prepping" some essentials for the inevitable SHTF at the start of next year considering the way things are going.

The Oil-Fired Central Heating tank is around 60% full, and could probably take another 500 litres. It usually only gets filled up once per year but with the potential for the £'s collapse it might be better to do so sooner rather than later.

My electric service is on a pre-paid meter and usually runs at around £14-17 a month - I normally put in £100 at a time to give me approx. six months of supply - again if the £ collapses then electric prices are likely to rise but with the way pre-paid metres work over here it is advantageous to "top up" when prices are low as the tarriff is only set when a code for credit is generated, so it might be worth adding another few months worth to the meter.

My general diet tends to consist of stuffs that don't have years of long shelf lives - fortunately a fair bit of it is local produce and if the worst comes to the worst, the border with the Republic is about 10 miles away even if the £ to € conversion gets desperate. Add to that a camping stove with enough gas supply if the worst came to the worst.

Bog Roll - yep, that counts. The stock I built up last year is now near depletion, maybe another two or three 18 packs of Nikki's finest should help.

The garden shed has a 100 watt solar panel - mind you that's not likely to be terribly useful in the middle of January in one of the dullest parts of the island of Ireland, but it should have just about enough "oomph" to at least power some batteries and USB power packs as well as low-consumption electronics e.g. radios & mobile phones, not to mention the big leisure battery can be charged via the mains if needed/allowed.

So to the general forum posters, am I overreacting or do I need to go even further and take out all my savings and put them into gold and plant seeds as well as putting an order in for a shotgun?
I'd say go ahead if you've got the room for storage.

Other stuff you might consider:
* Rice - keeps a fair while if you can provide rodent proof storage - also a bit lower energy to cook than spuds also (Look into those new-fangled electric rice cookers).
* Washing powder - apparently one of the longest shelf-live items in the shops - this fomr a former boss who'd worked for Unilever.
* Those microwaveable sachets of grains / beans lentils have use by dates anything up to 2 years ahead.
oboogie liked this
The Tories, Generally

Jenkyns was born in Beverley, Humberside. After l[…]

C**t of the day

Mind you, on reflection I reckon it's a bot. Join[…]

Boris Johnson

Greece has done pretty well. The Singapore of Euro[…]

Labour, Generally.

Well, the truth is that even if people did actuall[…]