Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 41.8 % ❤ 3.7 % :thumbsup: 7.6 % 😯 3.9 % :grinning: 36.2 % 🧥 1.3 % 🙏 1 % 😟 1.9 % :cry: 2.2 % :shit: 0.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:Here's the bit I don't get: why are farmers to be sacrificed yet fishermen are to be protected at seemingly any cost?
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:57 am
Gove.
So there is no sane, rational explanation.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:10 am
Me no understandee. What's that grotesque got to do with it?
His father was a fish dealer and he has taken Grimsby to his cold, hard heart. Also 'fish' has an intimate meaning to him, what with being married to Sarah Vile.

By The Red Arrow
The aforementioned father is on record as calling out bollockchops for downright bullshitting about the reasons why the Gove fish processing business is no more. There are those that might say Junior moved into fishy business on a scale that Senior could only dream about, I couldn't possibly comment.

By Andy McDandy
Fishing conjures up all sorts of romantic imagery, little boats on the high seas (shades of Dunkirk there too), wooden boats and iron men, us few souls on our deck facing down the cruel elements. Its also, crucially, seen as something that was taken from us, coincidentally by the EU (and things such as falling fish stocks be damned). We had it, they took it, we're taking it back goes the narrative.

By Kreuzberger
The Red Arrow wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:55 am
... fishy business on a scale that Senior could only dream about ...
I sea what you did there.

By Kreuzberger
Andy McDandy wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:53 pm
Fishing conjures up all sorts of romantic imagery, little boats on the high seas (shades of Dunkirk there too), wooden boats and iron men, us few souls on our deck facing down the cruel elements. Its also, crucially, seen as something that was taken from us, coincidentally by the EU (and things such as falling fish stocks be damned). We had it, they took it, we're taking it back goes the narrative.
No forgetting the long, established connection that fish has with the working class. A good, honest source of protein, long before the Jews and the Belgians muscled in on the trade.

My late F-i-L, the orphaned son of a Seaham miner, used to tell tales of going down, as an eight year-old, to the harbour to scavenge the discarded lobster, scallops, and monkfish from the landed cobbles. It was that or nothing for supper.

Moving on. For the 50-something gammon, the cod wars were the first, albeit lite, taste of the international conflict which the previous generation was doing its darnedest to put behind them. This was the era of Mind Your Language and The Great Escape, and so many more shades of plucky Brits and post-imperial superiority complexes.

The roots of Brexit are not too difficult to trace.
Timbo, Andy McDandy liked this

By MisterMuncher
The Jose Mourinho of the far right. He's great when it's all in place and resources are functionally unlimited.

Beyond that, as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, but he and the press are locked in a cycle of wanking each other off.
Bones McCoy liked this

By davidjay
youngian wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:31 pm
This is the cretin they get in when Darren Grimes is unavailable. As you’d say to a four year about their scribbled drawing on the fridge door: “Its a creative effort.”
He's doing his best. If it's good enough for the Prime Minister it's good enough for Tom.
US election 2020

I'm delighted that Biden has "gone there"[…]

Shaun Bailey

It's like watching a shit version of Carcetti's ca[…]

Was it followed by pictograms of a mushroom cloud […]

The Tories, Generally

The Tory spin and control of the media is so effe[…]