Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 42.3 % ❤ 3.5 % :thumbsup: 7.9 % 😯 3.8 % :grinning: 35.5 % 🧥 1.4 % 🙏 0.9 % 😟 1.9 % :cry: 2.2 % :shit: 0.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
satnav wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:42 pm
Andrew Pierce was gloating on Twitter this morning because he reckoned that because there were no delays at Dover yesterday this was proof that remainers were wrong when they said there would be chaos at the ports after Brexit. Now I'm not expert but I would have thought all ports would be quiet at the moment given that most manufacturing companies will have shutdown for at least a week over Christmas.
Won’t be needing the lorry parks then. The Brexiter gruel gets thinner by the week. Bernard Jenkin has lost his mind and is banging on about tampon taxes.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
An inland customs location has been set up near Warrington, just off the M56, and that was quiet too, on New Years Day, a bank holiday, in case the Brexit idiots didn't know.
By satnav
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I don't think Andrew Pierce will enjoy reading this story in his own newspaper.

British expats flying home to Spain are stopped from boarding BA flight from Heathrow to Madrid after airline staff claimed their ID documents are no longer valid after Brexit

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... adrid.html

This taking back control is starting to get a bit messy.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
I didn't see any comments, but I suppose they'll all be bashing the Spanish government and Brussels, when it says in the artical the Spanish government has confirmed the British immigrants residency papers are valid. This is the decision of the airline, not the Spaniards.

A better artical is in the Grauniad

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... travel-row

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Meanwhile ‘buccaneering’ Sam Allardyce moans about life outside of the Premier Division of nations he chose to leave
Leave-voting West Bromwich Albion manager Sam Allardyce has complained that he has already missed out on three new signings because of Brexit.

New rules, which came into force from 1 January, mean that Premier League clubs are unable to sign players from EU countries without a work permit – while foreign players under the age of 18 can’t be signed at all.

Allardyce – newly-appointed at West Brom, who are second from bottom – lamented that three potential recruits had already fallen through as a result of the new rules. https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... c.facebook

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
Well Smith would have been 21 in 1975, I don’t think we were best in show at that time. Also the adjectives, buccaneering and dominating, that means you lot in Africa and the Caribbean (said Enoch)

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
I can't help wondering what it is they're exhorting us to do?

If I remember rightly, buccaneering was basically legalised piracy - as long as you didn't attack ships from your own country you could do what you like, with a letter.of marque from the government as a 'Get Out Of Jail Free" card.

Are we supposed to generate income by attacking shipping in la Manche now, so long as we leave the Ramsgate ferry alone?

Can't see us staying in the G8 very long if that's the case.

By Samanfur
Leave.EU moves to Ireland to keep .EU suffix

Pro-Brexit lobby Leave.EU has been revealed to have migrated its domain’s registrant address to Waterford in the Republic of Ireland in order to remain in the EU registry.
One person tweeted “Wow, the irony! Leave .EU actively seeking to stay in the EU”, while others pointed out that Jacob Rees-Mogg’s firm is also among those to have set up premises in Ireland to hedge against the “considerable uncertainty” that Brexit may bring.

By Boiler
For real?

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... tor/07/01/
A high-profile doctor has said patients turned down the chance to have the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine, saying they would “wait for the English one”.

Paul Williams, former Labour MP for Stockton South, said it shows nationalism has consequences, given they were delaying having a jab at the height of the pandemic.

By Bones McCoy
Cyclist wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:36 pm
I can't help wondering what it is they're exhorting us to do?

If I remember rightly, buccaneering was basically legalised piracy - as long as you didn't attack ships from your own country you could do what you like, with a letter.of marque from the government as a 'Get Out Of Jail Free" card.

Are we supposed to generate income by attacking shipping in la Manche now, so long as we leave the Ramsgate ferry alone?

Can't see us staying in the G8 very long if that's the case.
Privateering: Legalised piracy.
The King (It was usually kings back in those days) issues a Letter of Marque to a shipowner or captain to act on his behalf.
Some (many?) Privateers took things a bit further than intended.
Raids on neutral harbours or merchant vessels - easily blamed on the state of communications back in the day.
"I thought we were still at war with the silver-rich Spaniards".
See also modern Military Contractors.

Buccaneers: Originally castaways/maroonees in the Caribbean who lived by hunting and smoking local wildlife (Boucan was, I think, a French version of the Dutch-Oven / smoker).
Soon made common cause with runaway slaves and a few Carib tribesmen, and created a growth industry in raiding ships from their canoes.

Barbary Corsairs: Mediterranean pirates mainly associated with cities in North Africa where they enjoyed protection of local rulers.
Ranged as far afield as Ireland and Iceland on slaving missions.
Engaged in some serious rucks with the Knights of Malta.

Woku: "Japanese" Pirates active off the Chinese coast. Some Japanese (disposessed Samurai types) may have been involved, but the bulk of the crews (and ships) were Chinese from fishing villages and Islanders.

Pirates: All manner of seaborne neer-do-wells. Most associated with the Carribean, but active in most narrow waters and sea-lanes.

And with that my Ladybird book of Pirates will return to the shelves.
Cyclist liked this
The Tories, Generally

I've said it before, but I'm sure he looks in... […]

"Boris" Johnson

Spectacularly stupid Cybernat row about Johnson v[…]

Paul Thomas Redux

Just spotted the guy giving a blow job. Fuckin[…]

Round the Blogs

https://jenzerb.medium.com/i-left-my-career-in-pre[…]