Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 45 % ❤ 2.8 % :thumbsup: 6.6 % 😯 3.7 % :grinning: 35.6 % 🧥 0.3 % 🙏 1.4 % 😟 2.3 % :cry: 1.7 % :shit: 0.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
#569033
Another evening's unmissable shitshow.

Congrats to the Beeb for finally fact-checking a brexiteer brane speaker.

Bloke phones up:
They need us more than them.
They'll collapse without us.
Lots of other countries are queueing up to leave.
Studio guest (an academic) is introduced:
Not true, all other countries have seen an increase in EU approval since article 50 was passed.
Phone bloke:
They need us, we provide a full third of the EU budget.
They will collapse if we leave whihc is why they are working to prevent it.
Presenter:
A third seems a bit high, we'll get our researchers to look into that.
Do continue.
Phone bloke has disappeared.

Later:
Our researchers tell us that Britain provides 13% of the EU budget, not a third as the caller suggested.
 
By Boiler
Posts
#569036
Bones McCoy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:02 am
Another evening's unmissable shitshow.

Congrats to the Beeb for finally fact-checking a brexiteer brane speaker.

Bloke phones up:
<snip>
I listened - for a while - to BBC Radio 5 Dead and Buried and a bit of a phone in last night. The minute some Yorkshire Brexiter gammon rang in and said "Eyup" I just knew it was time to turn the radio off.

I think I have reached my limit with this shite.
 
By Oblomov
#569044
I'm still astonished at the number of callers into LBC demandin to know what all this faffing around with leaving the EU is, why haven't we done it already and we should just do it because what are Brussels going to do about it? As if it's as easy as abandoning a lease agreement with a sketchy landlord or a job under an insufferable boss (though under the surface lies difficulty because you can't be sure who's connected to who and the risk of blackballing).

How does this myopic thinking not disintegrate within five minutes in the information age? Is it a byproduct of neoliberalism shifting mindsets from taxpayer to "customer of the state" so any government action is always analyzed in the framework of immediate personal gain?

Sorry, I know this is supposed to be a light hearted topic but it does get the mind-a-whirrin'...
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#569047
Pretty much. It's the same school of thought as "Just let me speak to the man, darlin'", that there's nothing two reasonable blokes (It's always blokes) can't sort out. That any work not involving blood or heavy lifting is pen pushing or women's work.

It's the world viewed through the prism of someone who peaked intellectually at age 14.
 
By youngian
Membership Days Posts
#569048
Oblomov wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:27 am
I'm still astonished at the number of callers into LBC demandin to know what all this faffing around with leaving the EU is, why haven't we done it already and we should just do it because what are Brussels going to do about it?
How many of these callers are really angry with themselves for voting for an undeliverable fantasy?

I'm surprised there aren't at least 10-20% of Leavers who took a punt and switched but no convincing polls are showing that. Perhaps they're the quiet Conservatives who didn't show up on the radar and messed up Ed Miliband's electoral calculations. Or 2015 Corbyn voters who voted for Owen Smith the next year due to overwhelming evidence of his Jez's ineptitude.
 
By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#569060
youngian wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:05 am
Oblomov wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:27 am
I'm still astonished at the number of callers into LBC demandin to know what all this faffing around with leaving the EU is, why haven't we done it already and we should just do it because what are Brussels going to do about it?
How many of these callers are really angry with themselves for voting for an undeliverable fantasy?

I'm surprised there aren't at least 10-20% of Leavers who took a punt and switched but no convincing polls are showing that. Perhaps they're the quiet Conservatives who didn't show up on the radar and messed up Ed Miliband's electoral calculations. Or 2015 Corbyn voters who voted for Owen Smith the next year due to overwhelming evidence of his Jez's ineptitude.
There was some work done that showed if you asked people's opinions on certain topics, asked who they voted for and then told them their party of choice had a different policy to their opinion, they'd rather change their mind than their vote. Leavers are like that - they'll now say they're happy to be worse off than admit they're wrong.
oboogie liked this
 
By Oblomov
#569072
youngian wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:05 am
Oblomov wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:27 am
I'm still astonished at the number of callers into LBC demandin to know what all this faffing around with leaving the EU is, why haven't we done it already and we should just do it because what are Brussels going to do about it?
How many of these callers are really angry with themselves for voting for an undeliverable fantasy?

I'm surprised there aren't at least 10-20% of Leavers who took a punt and switched but no convincing polls are showing that. Perhaps they're the quiet Conservatives who didn't show up on the radar and messed up Ed Miliband's electoral calculations. Or 2015 Corbyn voters who voted for Owen Smith the next year due to overwhelming evidence of his Jez's ineptitude.
The phrase I see repeatedly banded about is "I voted to leave, not for deal or no deal!" so it seems that some would double down on it (regardless of detriment to themselves) rather than give an atom of credit to those know-it-all leebrulez. Which is probably new to no one here, nor is the concept of ignorant people voicing their opinions more.

When you say take a punt, do you mean those who voted Leave as a protest vote not expecting it to win?
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#569079
I know someone who voted to leave, to "even the odds". They thought remain was a cert, so didn't think it that important.

I'm sure I saw something (QI?) that said people hate admitting they're stupid or have been duped. So in the event of a con, we're more likely to talk up the genius of the con artist than admit our own fallibility.

Or as John Le Carre said in Tinker Tailor, the more you pay for something, the more you convince yourself it's genuine.
Last edited by Andy McDandy on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#569092
If you demonstrably prove that someone's dearly-held opinion is wrong and they've been duped they get angry. Not with the people who duped them but with you, for showing they'd been duped, or in contemporary phraseology being a sneering elitist.
Oblomov liked this
 
By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
#569103
davidjay wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:04 pm
If you demonstrably prove that someone's dearly-held opinion is wrong and they've been duped they get angry. Not with the people who duped them but with you, for showing they'd been duped, or in contemporary phraseology being a sneering elitist.
The UK population has a track record of being easy marks for spivs from Timeshare Touts to PPI Mis-sellers claim they knew exactly what they were voting for.
  • 1
  • 561
  • 562
  • 563
  • 564
  • 565
  • 600
Euro Elections 2019

To paraphrase David Mitchell: He didn't fight th[…]

The Tories, Generally

Largely gone unnoticed today but the post-Loathsom[…]

Trustworthy man of government and likeable every p[…]

Theresa May

It's not a fucking party game*, or a Paul Daniels […]