Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 43.7 % ❤ 3 % :thumbsup: 6.6 % 😯 3.8 % :grinning: 35.6 % 🧥 0.5 % 🙏 1.3 % 😟 2.3 % :cry: 2.5 % :shit: 0.8 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
#576647
AOB wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:57 am
Michael Palin must wince every time Cleese utters a word, in the same way Johnny Marr must when Morrissey deigns to inflict his nauseous views on the public.
And even the sight of John Lydon has a generation wondering where it all went wrong.
Arrowhead, Oblomov liked this
 
By AOB
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#576648
KevS wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 11:55 am

Somehow, I think £320m fortune owning, rock megastar royalty, life story number one at the global box office, about to retire in luxury Elton John isn't really going to give a shit if Dave from Grimsby decides not to buy a copy of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.
And there's the difference between the reactionary and non-reactionary. I wouldn't not watch Fawlty Towers again because Cleese is a real-life chump. Not seen any Remainers saying they want to ditch their Fawlty Towers DVDs.

Really opened my eyes this whole Brexit thing. I've found more intelligence among right-wingers who want to Remain than left-wingers who want to Leave. Really sorted the wheat from the chaff, for me. Give me Heseltine and Grieve over Corbyn or Hoey anyday,
 
By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#576652
AOB wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:27 am
Really opened my eyes this whole Brexit thing. I've found more intelligence among right-wingers who want to Remain than left-wingers who want to Leave. Really sorted the wheat from the chaff, for me. Give me Heseltine and Grieve over Corbyn or Hoey anyday,
Hear feckin hear.
 
By Arrowhead
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#576653
KevS wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 11:55 am
Usual response around, threatening never to buy his music again, demanding all Watford scarves are burnt, copies of Tumbleweed Connection flung from a clay pigeon launcher, that sort of thing.
“Bloody traitor! I’ll never stream his music for free ever again!”
 
By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#576680
AOB wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:27 am
KevS wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 11:55 am

Somehow, I think £320m fortune owning, rock megastar royalty, life story number one at the global box office, about to retire in luxury Elton John isn't really going to give a shit if Dave from Grimsby decides not to buy a copy of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.
And there's the difference between the reactionary and non-reactionary. I wouldn't not watch Fawlty Towers again because Cleese is a real-life chump. Not seen any Remainers saying they want to ditch their Fawlty Towers DVDs.

Really opened my eyes this whole Brexit thing. I've found more intelligence among right-wingers who want to Remain than left-wingers who want to Leave. Really sorted the wheat from the chaff, for me. Give me Heseltine and Grieve over Corbyn or Hoey anyday,
I understand your argument, but I've personally struggled to enjoy a few things when I've found out the person behind them is a bit of a cunt. I've not gone so far as to announce it on a newspaper comment section, though.
lord_kobel liked this
 
By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
#576685
MisterMuncher wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:11 pm
AOB wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:27 am
KevS wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 11:55 am

Somehow, I think £320m fortune owning, rock megastar royalty, life story number one at the global box office, about to retire in luxury Elton John isn't really going to give a shit if Dave from Grimsby decides not to buy a copy of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.
And there's the difference between the reactionary and non-reactionary. I wouldn't not watch Fawlty Towers again because Cleese is a real-life chump. Not seen any Remainers saying they want to ditch their Fawlty Towers DVDs.

Really opened my eyes this whole Brexit thing. I've found more intelligence among right-wingers who want to Remain than left-wingers who want to Leave. Really sorted the wheat from the chaff, for me. Give me Heseltine and Grieve over Corbyn or Hoey anyday,
I understand your argument, but I've personally struggled to enjoy a few things when I've found out the person behind them is a bit of a cunt. I've not gone so far as to announce it on a newspaper comment section, though.
I've been able to separate the artist form the art, so am still able to enjoy the works of Spacey, Spector, Wyman.

On the other hand: I'm relieved that an awful lot of dodgy creeps were purverors of basic dross that I never liked: Saville, Harris, Saville, Glitter, Clifford, Saville...

On the third hand, the "arts establishment" seems a lot keener than I am to censor the art on account of the artist's foibles - Top of the Pops and Spacey's film getting pulled, plus tehrecent furore over Michael Jackson's back catalogue.

And on the fourth (Call me Vishnu), there's a can of worms waiting for anybody wishing to generalise artistic, social or political points from based on a handful of repellant criminals.
 
By AOB
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#576693
MisterMuncher wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:11 pm
AOB wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:27 am
KevS wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 11:55 am

Somehow, I think £320m fortune owning, rock megastar royalty, life story number one at the global box office, about to retire in luxury Elton John isn't really going to give a shit if Dave from Grimsby decides not to buy a copy of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.
And there's the difference between the reactionary and non-reactionary. I wouldn't not watch Fawlty Towers again because Cleese is a real-life chump. Not seen any Remainers saying they want to ditch their Fawlty Towers DVDs.

Really opened my eyes this whole Brexit thing. I've found more intelligence among right-wingers who want to Remain than left-wingers who want to Leave. Really sorted the wheat from the chaff, for me. Give me Heseltine and Grieve over Corbyn or Hoey anyday,
I understand your argument, but I've personally struggled to enjoy a few things when I've found out the person behind them is a bit of a cunt. I've not gone so far as to announce it on a newspaper comment section, though.
I've hummed along to This Charming Man, on the radio, knowing full well Morrissey has views that don't tally with my own (or your average human). I get what you say, though.
 
By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
#576712
Tory leadership hopeful Michael Gove 'is prepared to delay Brexit until late 2020 rather than crash out without a deal on October 31' as Sajid Javid insists it is possible to renegotiate Withdrawal Agreement
Man from Del Monte. He say No.


https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -2020.html
He [Javid] added: '[Ireland] is the tail that wags the dog on this and we need to make sure we can do more to build that good will in Ireland and build their confidence.'
But the UK is the tail. We're much smaller than the EU27.
 
By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#576785
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:26 pm
Tail that wags the dog, that's an image that builds goodwill.
I feel intensely positive towards people making that manner of analogy, I assure you. It's that irrepressible exceptionalism that just won't bow down to objective reality that just gets me right in the bellybutton.
  • 1
  • 600
  • 601
  • 602
  • 603
  • 604
  • 631

Would I be right in thinking that assuming that in[…]

The Tories, Generally

Apparently there's an even worse one with May and […]

Liz Truss

Those shoes with those trahziz are. An. Absolute. […]

Labour, Generally.

We can learn how to be a socialist and advocate a […]