Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 43.8 % ❤ 3.3 % :thumbsup: 6.7 % 😯 3.6 % :grinning: 35.2 % 🧥 0.5 % 🙏 1.4 % 😟 2.4 % :cry: 2.4 % :shit: 0.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Interesting comments from our local rag:
g unit
There are no tariffs on beer so Mr Martin is using his usual orifice to talk out of. There are however high levels of duty which the UK government imposes.
PaulErith
Even if they were giving it away, I'd rather go to a proper pub!

By Boiler
youngian wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:53 pm
Boiler wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:14 pm
what I find amusing is that the sort of people who'll shell out £270 a seat on a steam train excursion immediately become Spoons-seeking missiles once the train reaches its destination (I've sat amongst them). The brand has also become a bit of a joke.
Are you saying steam train enthusiasts are Camra members as well?

We all have non political interests and visit sites to chat about them where politics is conventionally a no go area. Has anyone noticed Brexit arguments boiling over onto them? I had to deal with Brexit prats on a dog owners site who claimed Pet Passport annulment was fake news (despite Brits abroad explaining what the situation is). And because we’re British we’ll be able to demand their retention.
I certainly know a few :wink:

As for the overspill; one of the forums I'm on has a Brexiter as its owner, but any mention of politics has the mods down on you like a ton of LBC's finest. Another forum is positively riven with it in its "General Chat" section, but that's well and truly hidden from public view.

By Arrowhead
youngian wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:53 pm
We all have non political interests and visit sites to chat about them where politics is conventionally a no go area. Has anyone noticed Brexit arguments boiling over onto them? I had to deal with Brexit prats on a dog owners site who claimed Pet Passport annulment was fake news (despite Brits abroad explaining what the situation is). And because we’re British we’ll be able to demand their retention.
I’m an occasional poster on the NetWeather forum. A few months ago they had to delete their entire Political Discussion thread because of how heated things had become post-referendum. I believe I’m right in saying that the mods had also noticed that there were suddenly a sizeable number of (extremely vocal) members posting solely Brexit-related twaddle, without contributing literally any weather-related discussion elsewhere on the forum.

A bit like when Wino was shown a red card on here, things quickly became a lot calmer afterwards (bar the Climate Change section, where - very tellingly - several of the loudest Brexit headbangers retreated to).

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:55 pm
What the fuck is wrong with this guy?
I shall ask the good doctor when she finishes the week's doctoring.
I'm sure there's some condition where somebody's head is too large for their features.

Dim Tim looks to me as though he's been face-swapped with a smaller photo of himself.

By Abernathy
Boiler wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:10 pm
Bones McCoy wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:03 pm
I'm sure there's some condition where somebody's head is too large for their features.
Macrocephaly, I believe.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (441.31 KiB) Viewed 255 times

By Boiler
Bones McCoy wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:52 pm
And from ConservativeHome
Dear The Army,
Please consider carrying out a coup.
Many thanks.
Yours, etc, Harlowchap
Jimmy's secret army strikes again.
Never gets old, this.

oboogie liked this

By Samanfur
I've said it before and I'll say it again: do we have to go for the lowest common denominator and attack people's appearance when there're plenty of things within their control that we could attack them over?

It seems terribly playground bully stuff when some of these people have held genuinely unpleasant opinions and done genuinely unpleasant things.

As someone who was born with hydrocephalus, has a bigger hat size than my father as a result and is nobody's idea of a catalogue model, I can't claim that the turn this thread just took isn't making me uncomfortable.

Cock versus conscience is one thing. Actively waving photos around and laughing at their failure to conform to standards feels like another - and it's exactly what the Sidebar of Shame does.

We're better than this.
Arrowhead, Schmee, Cyclist and 1 others liked this

By Abernathy
Kreuzberger wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:18 pm
Samanfur wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:00 pm
We're better than this.
I am not blameless with these off-colour entre-nous but yes, at least we should be. A lot better.
Mea culpa too, I'm afraid. Though I probably should point out that in this instance at least, I was not "attacking" anyone's appearance, merely offering an observation.

I'm very sorry to have offended Samanfur or made him uncomfortable, but I wouldn't like to see an end to taking the piss out of someone's physical characteristics for devilment, which I dare say might be where Samanfur's and my views take divergent paths.

Comedians like Tommy Cooper and Max Wall, and others made a living out of making people laugh with physical comedy. In some circumstances, yes, we are, or should be, all better than that, but in others, a little humourous extraction of the piss is, in my view, nothing to get agitated about.

As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.
The Sun

If David Cameron's memoirs are so poor why did a[…]

Richard Littlejohn

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-7471163[…]

Boris Johnson

^^This. All along the Tories have kept saying &quo[…]

The LibDems, generally

Is Swinson safe from the SNP in her seat? She ou[…]