•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Littlejohn's brain
Membership Days Posts
It's about time somebody called this clown out and Padraig Reidy does it in style

http://littleatoms.com/society/giles-fr ... dical-chic

For the Reverend Fraser, this is a cause for celebration. “Some may be appalled by the insularity of the community in which this young man was raised. But I admire it” says Fraser, suggesting that the Hasidic community of Stamford Hill is succeeding in resisting “assimilation”. That they do this by sending children to schools where they do not learn even the most basic life skills, thus rendering them entirely dependent on their community, is of no consequence to Fraser, who attended Uppingham, then Newcastle University, did his PhD at Lancaster and later taught at Oxford.

Fraser continues: “It adds immeasurably to the richness and diversity of how life is apprehended that not everyone sees the world in the same way. It is mind-expanding to be challenged by those who commit to another way of life.”

Which works oh so well for Fraser, but not so much for the young Jewish men and women in north London who can barely communicate with the wider world. They must be denied this immeasurable richness so that Fraser can have more of it.

Fraser then goes on to criticise communities secretary and Star Trek enthusiast Sajid Javid, who accused some members of minorities of “refusing to integrate” and “failing to embrace the shared values”. Javid is like the Borg, says Fraser, forcing assimilation on all he encounters.

The reverend concludes: “Of course, the barely concealed target of Casey’s report is Muslims. They are serial offenders in their resistance to the hegemony of integration. They won’t allow the Borg-like values of secular liberalism to corrode their distinctiveness. They seek to maintain their religious convictions and way of life. They refuse all that nonsense about religion being a private matter. They stand strong against the elimination of diversity. And we are all immeasurably richer for their resistance.”

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
You don't like the Rev Fraser do you? He means well. Like Peter Sellars in Heavens Above.

By Littlejohn's brain
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:You don't like the Rev Fraser do you? He means well. Like Peter Sellars in Heavens Above.

No being a lexiter, he's admiration of radical islam and being a general 24 carat gold pratt is not going to endear him to me.

By Catkins
Membership Days
Well he's never found a religious bigot he didn't like, has he? And he's spent the past 24 hours digging down on his article on Twitter, and sneering at all these dreadful free thinkers speaking with one voice. Because funnily enough just about everyone thinks that a 20 year old man, born and brought up in the UK, who cannot communicate even a few words of English to his doctor is not admirable. It's fucking tragic. But no, Freedom is apparently an "overrated moral virtue" according to Giles, "secular modernity is a real problem" and he prefers "community morality" to human rights.

And he believes that parents should have total ownership and control of their offspring. It's "absolutely ok for people to raise their children as they like. And if that means no maths, fine" apparently.

Someone once told me that while The Guardian was often wrong, but it had a 'good heart'. I read articles like this and I wonder.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Until now I was unaware of this Parson's work.
I think I'll leave it that way.

By Littlejohn's brain
Membership Days Posts
Catkins wrote:Well he's never found a religious bigot he didn't like, has he? And he's spent the past 24 hours digging down on his article on Twitter, and sneering at all these dreadful free thinkers speaking with one voice. Because funnily enough just about everyone thinks that a 20 year old man, born and brought up in the UK, who cannot communicate even a few words of English to his doctor is not admirable. It's fucking tragic. But no, Freedom is apparently an "overrated moral virtue" according to Giles, "secular modernity is a real problem" and he prefers "community morality" to human rights.

And he believes that parents should have total ownership and control of their offspring. It's "absolutely ok for people to raise their children as they like. And if that means no maths, fine" apparently.

Someone once told me that while The Guardian was often wrong, but it had a 'good heart'. I read articles like this and I wonder.

and he thinks the enlightenment was a terrible thing

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Posts
Reminds me of a wanker I knew who argued that the internet was inherently evil because it was developed by the US military, so if you used it you were condoning My Lai and Iraq.

By Littlejohn's brain
Membership Days Posts
I always found it hilarious that Fraser who supports Brexit on the grounds of pro-democracy is happy to compare it to the reformation when Henry VIII decided to leave the catholic church without consulting the people, purely for his own benefit.

By Littlejohn's brain
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Does his entire career come from Occupy pitching tents outside his door?

Yes another we can blame the occupy movement for.

By Littlejohn's brain
Membership Days Posts
Giles Fraser lets the cat out of the bag.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... yelections" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He began his speech with a typically charismatic reference to his father’s work on electrical semiconductors, and proceeded to work through a speech that had me staring out of the window and noting what a lovely day it was, and how much I wished to be outside. And worst of all, he had a pop at “fake patriotic posturing” when he should have been persuading people that he understands the need for communal solidarity. The new MP for Stoke got it in the neck from a few southern progressives for putting the St George’s flag on his election literature. But that was exactly how he defeated Ukip – by making ordinary people feel he was on their side.

But Corbyn can’t go yet. The transformation of the party is incomplete. The very worst scenario is that his going would be an opportunity for the Blairites to return. So we will have to put up with this for a while longer. Until a leader emerges who may not even be in the Commons right now. These are the wilderness years for Labour. And they need to be endured. To coin a phrase: there is no alternative.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Until a leader emerges who may not even be in the Commons right now.
Is it Jesus? he would oppose Trident
The Mail's Front Page Headline

Ah, I dunno that it's even that limited. I've neve[…]

Momentum

I will now lay my cards on the table and tell you […]

Would appreciate any Twitterers getting this out, […]

Nigel Farage

It's a hard time of year for anyone to find a spar[…]