•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
This general election result has given Theresa May a massive, massive problem. On the one hand, her lack of an overall majority and the presence in her own ranks of pro European MPs like Ken Clarke will make it much harder to get a hard Brexit through parliament.

On the other hand, many Tory MPs would not accept a deal which involves staying in the single market if it meant giving concessions to free movement and the European Court of Human Rights.

The pro EU wing of the Tory party is small, but like the DUP, it can be influential in a hung parliament.

May's position (who was, in case we forget, in favour of remain at the time of the referendum) is that No deal is better than a bad deal, but this is a slogan, rather than a policy. The CBI, The City and international investors will not want Britain to walk away from negotiations and a No Deal result will not be acceptable to the DUP because this would create a hard border with the Irish Republic.

Labour, the Lib Dems, The SNP, I am assuming PC and the Greens, and some Tories would be content with a compromise deal, but most Tories would not be. All the ingredients are in place for a schism in the Tory party not seen since the repeal of the Corn Laws in the 1840s, when the Tory party was split between free trade and protectionism. This split damaged the Tory party badly and it was unable to form a majority government for a long time afterwards.

All Labour now needs to do is to sit back, present a reasonably united front and watch the slo mo car crash into a firework factory that is the May administration.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Sinn Fein 'flying MPs to London for Westminster induction amid fears they will topple May'

SINN FEIN will reportedly send their seven MPs to Westminster in a direct threat to the proposed Tory alliance with the DUP

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/816361 ... estminster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please let it be true.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
This could get interesting. Can I add that this is the most interesting political era I can remember, I didn't take much notice of what was going on under Wilson, Heath and Callaghan, then was the long dark, depressing black hole of Thatcher/Major, followed by an improvement under Blair.

Now we have got all this mental shit. Its better than watching telly!

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:SF have been doing the induction and office space stuff since the peace process began. What is more likely is that Foster will ask SF what they would like to add to the pork-barrelling list.
Indeed. The reason why they have never taken their seats - and almost certainly never will - is because they'd rather cut their own bums off with rusty breadknives than swear allegiance to Brenda.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
True, but this is a unique situation.
1) Brexit means that Ireland's interests are involved.
2) Stormont is suspended so SF has no political influence.
3) The DUP will have, while propping up May.

Sinn Féin may think that the GFA agreement is more important than their principles. I'm not saying they they will attend, just that it's more likely than ever before.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Stephen Bush pointed out the DUP would do the same with a rusty bread knife rather than put Fenian loving traitor Corbyn into No 10. That gives the Tories some stability to survive the fixed term but could be a zombie government if they don't hand out goodies to NI everytime they want to win a vote. Its the hack Tory backbenchers scared for their seats May has to worry about more and they'll now be leaning towards the Remain camp.

Give us a clue Robert was the senior Tory's initials KC and the word start with C and end with T?
Robert Peston‏
Senior Tory referred to hard brexiteers in his party by word I cannot even nod to here - and says he will "have them", with help of Labour

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:Stephen Bush pointed out the DUP would do the same with a rusty bread knife rather than put Fenian loving traitor Corbyn into No 10. That gives the Tories some stability to survive the fixed term but could be a zombie government if they don't hand out goodies to NI everytime they want to win a vote. Its the hack Tory backbenchers scared for their seats May has to worry about more and they'll now be leaning towards the Remain camp.

Give us a clue Robert was the senior Tory's initials KC and the word start with C and end with T?
Robert Peston‏
Senior Tory referred to hard brexiteers in his party by word I cannot even nod to here - and says he will "have them", with help of Labour
Or maybe BUMSEX!
Labour, Generally.

It's a certainty that when the Corbyn/May deal i[…]

Claire Fox

Makes you wonder what Damascene revelation caused […]

The Brexit Party

He's had a huge amount of influence, though. He […]

Driver, 23, who spent £3,000 lowering his […]