Area for all other political discussion
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Anyone remember on Rad C Nesbitt once where there was a by election in Govan and the Tory candidate bribed Rab into voting for him by giving him a piece of carpet off cut. When the result was declared, he just got this one vote, and rushed up to the camera "Cheers Rab, all the verra best!!".
Danson's Forehead wrote:Please stay re-engaged here ezinra, and stay well.

Maidenhead - dunno how much can be read into a 26,500 majority in the PM's constituency, but Labour pushed the Lib Dems down to third. It wasn't so long ago this was a Lib Dem target seat as part of their infamous 'decapitation' strategy.

Turnout was 76.5%.

Otherwise, as always the PM's seat attracts a long list of weirdo candidates, of which 'Lord Buckethead' was one of the top scorers. Spare a thought for Independent Bobby Smith, who secured a mighty three votes. One of which, presumably, was himself. This reminds me of the episode of Neighbours, where Julie Robinson stands for election, gets two votes, and then tries to work out which of her father and husband didn't vote for her.
I tell a lie, turns out the bloke lives in Stevenage, therefore didn't vote for himself, and actually secured 50% more votes from other people than I assumed. Sorry for underselling you Bobby!
mr angry manchester wrote:Anyone remember on Rad C Nesbitt once where there was a by election in Govan and the Tory candidate bribed Rab into voting for him by giving him a piece of carpet off cut. When the result was declared, he just got this one vote, and rushed up to the camera "Cheers Rab, all the verra best!!".
I do, and thinking back, I enjoy the subtext (deliberate or not) that the Tory guy was so self-loathing, that he didn't even vote for himself.
visage wrote:
mattomac wrote:
visage wrote:Kingston & Surbiton, and I suspect Ed Davey might be a rare positive note for the LDs. Still got strong recognition, and the current MP hasnt exactly covered himself in glory in the last two years.
Haha maybe I should be more careful what I write on here...

Same ward and I believe the same, Berry's approach to surgeries is awful as well. I've been absolutely pilloried with personalised letters from Mr Davey. Tories seemed to be matching them at one point but last 2 weeks nothing, so I guess my area isn't being particularly positive towards Berry.
...And so it came to pass.
I'm happy with that, at least I can write to my MP expecting he may back my cause.
Easy Labour win in in Neath. Vote share up nearly 13 points. Tories a distant 2nd (they were 4th before).

The three Labour MPs in the next door borough, who all rebelled on Article 50, don't seem to have had any blowback. For all the promise of Plaid "coming after the Valleys", Chris Bryant got not far off triple their vote.
Norman Lamb worked his bollock off to retain his seat against a really strong Tory assault (its not as if they lack seats in Norfolk). The regional news showed the Tory candidate storming out of the count whacking the camera on the way. Touchy.
Momentum

Yay! Top Trumps!

The Mail's Front Page Headline

Ah, I dunno that it's even that limited. I've neve[…]

Would appreciate any Twitterers getting this out, […]

Nigel Farage

It's a hard time of year for anyone to find a spar[…]