•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By cycloon
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
The Red Arrow wrote:From January 2012...

David Cameron: I will kill off safety culture
'We need to realise, collectively, that we cannot eliminate risk and that some accidents are inevitable,' PM says

Andrew Woodcock, Dan Bentley, Ben Glaze
Thursday 5 January 2012
"This coalition has a clear new year's resolution: to kill off the health and safety culture for good.

"I want 2012 to go down in history not just as Olympics year or Diamond Jubilee year, but the year we get a lot of this pointless time-wasting out of the British economy and British life once and for all."
"Killing off the health and safety nonsense for good is not something government can do alone. It needs a change in the national mindset.

"We need to realise, collectively, that we cannot eliminate risk and that some accidents are inevitable. We need to take responsibility for our actions and rely on common sense rather than procedure.

"Above all, we need to give British businesses the freedom and discretion they need to grow, create jobs and drive our economy forward."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 8.html?amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The issue here is really the language used, imo. In the interest of selling a 'common sense' idea Cameron and co love all this waffle about red tape etc. If you were to present to them flammable cladding, they'd probably say 'oh yes well that doesn't count, that is wrong, yes, health and safety is fine'. But you get the impression in the interest of cheap political point scoring and laissez faire attitudes to market regulation, the rhetoric above gives spivs and chancers and genuine fuckwits all the legitimate space they need to cut corners.

By MisterMuncher
Bones McCoy wrote:Red tape Vs "Common sense" Health and Safey..

Is it the new Terrorist Vs Mentally Ill Loner.

It's reminiscent of the NRA's beloved "responsible gunowner". A parade of Scotsmen of varying veracity.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
'We need to realise, collectively, that we cannot eliminate risk and that some accidents are inevitable,' PM says

A typically dumb throwaway line from Cameron not far from Gove's had enough of experts.
The people who do risk assessment and management (as opposed to PR twats whose auntie got them their only proper job) understand this.

Risk isn't eliminated; it can be reduced, and its impact can be mitigated.
And that's what we work for.

We don't need sneering cunts who'll never visit a high rise misrepresenting proper safety work.
By Andy McDandy
In fairness I imagine what Cameron wanted to give the impression of was that it was ok if a builder every so often dropped a brick on his foot and had to go to A&E.

What it ends up looking like is cut a few corners, pocket the difference and plod can't get you in Barbados.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:In fairness I imagine what Cameron wanted to give the impression of was that it was ok if a builder every so often dropped a brick on his foot and had to go to A&E.

What it ends up looking like is cut a few corners, pocket the difference and plod can't get you in Barbados.
And Cameron's impression demonstrates his aloofness from the common people.
His idea of an industrial accident is having a badly fitted office chair.

It's the same as Osborne's "closed curtains equals slackers" in his alarm clock Britain speech.
The only nightshift worker he'd ever encountered was the marching powder delivery man.

By cycloon
Bones McCoy wrote:
youngian wrote:

A typically dumb throwaway line from Cameron not far from Gove's had enough of experts.
The people who do risk assessment and management (as opposed to PR twats whose auntie got them their only proper job) understand this.

Risk isn't eliminated; it can be reduced, and its impact can be mitigated.
And that's what we work for.

We don't need sneering cunts who'll never visit a high rise misrepresenting proper safety work.
Precisely. Risk management is a serious and important task. As I suggested, the rhetoric elides this significant idea in the interest of 'well I scraped my knee as a kid, did me no harm.'
'But sir, we're talking about building regulations...'
By mattomac
Andy McDandy wrote:In fairness I imagine what Cameron wanted to give the impression of was that it was ok if a builder every so often dropped a brick on his foot and had to go to A&E.

Problem with that is if you do cut those corners you end up with crippled 50 year old builders coming in to Job Centre Plus clogging up the welfare support because frankly they can't work in what they want to do and they have got to a stage in life that very few places will employ them.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Just as Hunt thought he was off the hook, Conservative Andrew Murrison unintentionally made things worse by saying we could always replace NHS staff from the EU with doctors and nurses from the Indian sub-continent. Brilliant. Pointlessly get rid of tens of thousands of well-trained staff only to go through the disruption of recruiting from elsewhere. It’s that kind of thinking that made Britain great.

And they'd be even more foreign.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... e#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Meanwhile in Ireland, the Taoiseach Leo Varadkar h[…]

Boris Johnson

So what are the chances that another version of th[…]

What colour is it? Does it say EU still? It's[…]

Momentum

Bastani's comes out of with such fucking stupid ho[…]