Area for all other political discussion
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
Hang on, thereare people here treating it as an historical source. I don't care if Patrick Stewart played a blinder, it's a fictionalised account of events.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
it's a fictionalised account of events.

That's a pretty accurate description of what historical drama is. The dialogue in Nixon's the One with Harry Shearer was transposed from taped conversations but I can't think of many exceptions.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
You're not getting it. To quote fiction as an historical source is unacceptable, however well acted. It is not documentary however 'well' the selection of material has been made. The key word there is 'selection', but 'adapted' also applies.
youngian wrote:
it's a fictionalised account of events.

That's a pretty accurate description of what historical drama is. The dialogue in Nixon's the One with Harry Shearer was transposed from taped conversations but I can't think of many exceptions.
Yes and I never actually said it was completely 100% accurate.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
You used it to support an historical argument. Are you saying that you support your statements with unreliable sources as a matter of course? Or that, for you, that is acceptable?

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Posts
Isn'tIsn't there also an argument that Lenin basically wanted Sweden, but the intransigence of the Whites, the civil war, and his death meant that things ended up as they did?

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
I think it's pretty clear that Lenin wanted much the same as Nicholas; warm water harbours, especially in the west, and a buffer zone of 'friendly' states on the North European plain. Just like Stalin, and Putin.

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Posts
Sorry, meant Sweden in terms of an economic and social model. Not the actual country.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
What was the Swdish economic model c1917?
Andy McDandy wrote:Sorry, meant Sweden in terms of an economic and social model. Not the actual country.
No, right from the start Lenin made it clear that he had no intention of sharing power with anybody else. All power was to be concentrated in the Central Committee known as "Democratic Centralism". Lenin didn't demonstrate any impulses that he was A Nordic Social Democrat, but instead showed himself out to be a ruthless, murderous dictator.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Lenin reintroduced the market economy through the New Economic Plan. And Bolsheviks were top dog graphic designers for marketing consumer products.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Yes, very clearly in their almost universally wh[…]

SPOTY

Yeah...the Mailites are really not happy! Supe[…]

Europe? And the Future of Britain in Europe

Do a lot of the daft gits who voted leave know tha[…]

Question Time

As if to prove your point... https://twitter.[…]