•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Lord Adonis making a fool of himself on Twitter. Academics don't do enough teaching and have a "3 month summer holiday". He knows because he was a fellow at Nuffield, Oxford 25 years ago.

It's not going well for him.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Its been noted on this board before that he is good technocrat on transport and infrastructure but should be kept well away from education.

By mattomac
Membership Days Posts
Yeah odd really as it seems to be Education people seek him out over, but he has been every bit of useless in that area and has even admitted one of his big ideas "fees" is a massive failure.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
This could equally go in the "left wing fuckwit" or "Things you just don't get" threads.
I've stuck it here as it appears to be a staple of American "liberals" of a certain type.
I don't regard them as "left".
More like useless idiots who give our movement a bad name.

Anyway the subject of the day is "Cultural Appropriation".

Wikipedia says:
Cultural appropriation can include using other cultures' traditions, food, fashion, symbols, technology, language, and cultural songs without permission.
This covers a number of personal interests, areas that would be so much worse if it weren't for the blending of cultural ideas.
I'll chuck in an outrageous claim - "All human progress has been the result of the sharing of ideas".

So let's examine an Appropriation-free world.

Food: Imagine it, meat and 2 veg for ever.

Music/Songs: It's been going on for ever, ban this and you can't have Jazz, Rock & Roll, the "British Invasion", No Beatles, No Stones, No Elvis, No Belafonte, No Creedence Clearwater Revival, no World Music...

Technology: No internet for you unless you've a degree form Stanford, MIT or Berkeley - what "Culture" is the Internet, Smartphones, Televisions, Electric Guitars.

Language isn't explicitly mentioned, but am I expected to refrain from using the Yiddish phrases I learned form childhood.

OK so Blacking up is infantile and bad - we get that.
But you show me an individual who keeps strictly to his/her own culture and I'll show you an incredibly dull person, and one with above average odds of already being radicalised.

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Posts
Out of interest, who am I supposed to ask for permission from to make chilli con carne?

By Killer Whale
Membership Days Posts
You know all that Tolkien stuff and the entire fantasy genre, from Dungeons and Dragons to Game of Thrones that descends from it? You owe Wales $500 Trillion in royalties. The invoice is in the post.

By lord_kobel
Membership Days Posts
Bones McCoy wrote:Wikipedia says:
Cultural appropriation can include using other cultures' traditions, food, fashion, symbols, technology, language, and cultural songs without permission.
Yeah, no, that's massive over simplification.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
lord_kobel wrote:
Bones McCoy wrote:Wikipedia says:
Yeah, no, that's massive over simplification.
Yes, it's one sentence form a rather larger Wikipedia page.
The whole page is worth a read and there's some interesting stuff there.
I stick with my assertion that this has ballooned into a fuckwit cause.
Killer Whale wrote:You know all that Tolkien stuff and the entire fantasy genre, from Dungeons and Dragons to Game of Thrones that descends from it? You owe Wales $500 Trillion in royalties. The invoice is in the post.
Really? From what I've read LOTR along with those other example seem to have borrowed from a number of sources such as Norse mythology.

By lord_kobel
Membership Days Posts
The first two examples that spring to mind are rich white fuckwits wearing native american headdresses and wannabe rasta teenagers. At its heart it's speaking out against the misappropriation of heartfelt and sacred symbols by ignorant fuckwits. It's not about spag bol.

By Killer Whale
Membership Days Posts
Littlejohn's brain wrote:
Killer Whale wrote:You know all that Tolkien stuff and the entire fantasy genre, from Dungeons and Dragons to Game of Thrones that descends from it? You owe Wales $500 Trillion in royalties. The invoice is in the post.
Really? From what I've read LOTR along with those other example seem to have borrowed from a number of sources such as Norse mythology.
A non-fuckwit would have realised that I was joking.

Yes, I called you a fuckwit.

Now go whining to the mods.
A non-fuckwit would have realised that I was joking.

Yes, I called you a fuckwit.

Now go whining to the mods.
Thank you and kindly go fuck yourself.

By cycloon
Membership Days Posts
And LJB came to Arberth, a court of the great King, and there he spoke to another, Killer Whale, and he said 'Hail, you scumbag' and Killer Whale said 'come to me in a year with a host, and I shall bring my host, and the victor shall take the land of Ystrad Tywi for himself,' and he said this fore Ystrad Tywi was where he liked most to hunt, and LJB said 'yer'on' and they both went to their courts and their men and did as they do in those places for a year. Then one forgot about the appointment and the end.

If that poll lead is accurate it wouldn’t […]

SPOTY

Sports Personality of the Year An old and tired f[…]

Liz Jones

A calibrated (sic) attack on Jo Cox by a lady who […]

News you won't see on the BBC

Was chatting with an old friend today, and we wang[…]