•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By KevS
Membership Days Posts
There is the footage of the idiot in The Mall around the middle of the week demanding to know where the flag was, and where the Queen was to help the country recover from the shock.

As if the fact that she was trying to help her grandsons recover from the shock of losing their mother was of no consequence.

By lord_kobel
Membership Days Posts
Hitchens manages to be wrong, even when he should be right. The whole show and dance was a bunch of wank, but not because of the damage it did to the Crown. Not to mention "No matter how hard he has tried to fill the gap in his sons’ lives left by the death of their mother" by shacking up with his strumpet.

By D.C. Harrison
Membership Days Posts
lord_kobel wrote:Hitchens manages to be wrong, even when he should be right. The whole show and dance was a bunch of wank, but not because of the damage it did to the Crown. Not to mention "No matter how hard he has tried to fill the gap in his sons’ lives left by the death of their mother" by shacking up with his strumpet.
It's more the wank about how us having a monarchy ensured we have a "free, law-governed country" that I would take issue with.

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Posts
Modern monarchies that have had loads of continuity and are free law governed countries:

UK
Sweden
Thailand
One thing I don't like is the way the public's grief is used by right-wingers to sneer at Modern Britain and it was unBritish usually by the ikes of Hitchens and the odious Theodore Dalrymple. I read an article in BBC History today by of all people Dominic Sandbrook who pointed out that similar outpourings of public grief had happened in the past. An interesting view I found was in Chris Mullin's Diaries who pointed out that had she lived she would have been a disappointment to those who admired her.

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Posts
A week before she died, she was the subject of a sneering piece on Midlands Today about how she'd been visiting a psychic. She was not well regarded. She was a laughing stock.
How did she become a gay icon? Was it her work with AIDS sufferers or her Judy Garlandesque victimhood?

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Posts
Littlejohn's brain wrote:One thing I don't like is the way the public's grief is used by right-wingers to sneer at Modern Britain and it was unBritish usually by the ikes of Hitchens and the odious Theodore Dalrymple. I read an article in BBC History today by of all people Dominic Sandbrook who pointed out that similar outpourings of public grief had happened in the past. An interesting view I found was in Chris Mullin's Diaries who pointed out that had she lived she would have been a disappointment to those who admired her.
Have you ever read "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds"? It's a bit heavy going but absolutely fascinating stuff.
By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:How did she become a gay icon? Was it her work with AIDS sufferers or her Judy Garlandesque victimhood?
Oh, a bit of both, plus the soap opera dramatics of her life. Always felt a bit forced, tbh. The straight journalist's idea of a gay icon.
The whole country is going to hell in a handcart. The disastrous Brexit vote, a media obsessed by a princess who died 20 years ago, idiots going on about whether or not Big Ben will bong. Everything is bollocks.
By davidjay
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:A week before she died, she was the subject of a sneering piece on Midlands Today about how she'd been visiting a psychic. She was not well regarded. She was a laughing stock.
Absolutely. The press loved her for the publicity value, most people ignored her, the circles she moved in had by all accounts got tired of her.
Nigel Farage

P.S. My new Irish passport came in the post thi[…]

Shona Sibary

Blimey, it's been a while! Admittedly I don't […]

Samantha Bee

Re: Oh shit, Brexit: I liked the way the Americans[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

True. There are always so many candidates...