Area for all other political discussion
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
One more thing to worry about.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/charliewarzel/ ... .pp1ZNp17q
In mid-2016, Aviv Ovadya realized there was something fundamentally wrong with the internet — so wrong that he abandoned his work and sounded an alarm. A few weeks before the 2016 election, he presented his concerns to technologists in San Francisco’s Bay Area and warned of an impending crisis of misinformation in a presentation he titled “Infocalypse.”

The web and the information ecosystem that had developed around it was wildly unhealthy, Ovadya argued. The incentives that governed its biggest platforms were calibrated to reward information that was often misleading and polarizing, or both. Platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Google prioritized clicks, shares, ads, and money over quality of information, and Ovadya couldn’t shake the feeling that it was all building toward something bad — a kind of critical threshold of addictive and toxic misinformation. The presentation was largely ignored by employees from the Big Tech platforms — including a few from Facebook who would later go on to drive the company’s NewsFeed integrity effort.

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
An argument I've been making for some time, although usually in a context of education. Information is now in superabundance. Discernment much less so. I'll be brief, but I think your man there looking for an algorithm to solve it all is barking up the wrong tree.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
Without wishing to get all preachy, this is the big schism in education. Is it about knowledge, facts, competencies? Or is it about philosophy, learning skills, analysis and judgement?

The first is the English model, pushed by Thatcher (remember she wanted education put into the Trade Department basket) and ossified into the National Curriculum and the work of Ofsted. The latter is often called the Central European Model, and it is, of course, rubbished by the current government and the right wing as being lefty, lazy, wishy, washy and a bit effeminate. Philosophy? Pah.

Given that information you can see which side of history we are on. Us and Gradgrind.
“Now, what I want is, Facts. Teach these boys and girls nothing but Facts. Facts alone are wanted in life. Plant nothing else, and root out everything else. You can only form the minds of reasoning animals upon Facts: nothing else will ever be of any service to them. This is the principle on which I bring up my own children, and this is the principle on which I bring up these children. Stick to Facts, sir!”
sigh...
Paul Thomas Redux

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/02/19/00/997800[…]

Richard Littlejohn

He (Umunna) threw his ring into the hat when Ed M[…]

The Group of Seven

Except the Tories would probably 'win' a GE rather[…]

Sajid Javid

Home Secretary 'looking carefully' at call to re[…]