•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I note that the Icelandic parliament is on the point of making all circumcision illegal (female circumcison is (rightly) already).

Cue debates between advocates, mostly Jewish and Muslim of the custom of lopping off the end of a baby infant's knob when he is but a few days old.

Me, I really don't understand why there is any requirement, religious or otherwise, to mutilate the genitalia of young human beings. What on earth is the rationale?
Timbo, The Red Arrow, Kreuzberger and 2 others liked this

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
I have to say I'm with you on this. It seems utterly nonsensical and barbaric to do this for anything other than medical reasons. If people want to do it, let them choose to after the age of majority. Sometimes it's the role of the government to protect people from their parents' religious choices.

By D.C. Harrison
Membership Days Posts
Aren't the Americans daft for doing this to their baby sons too? I did ask a Sherman once, and was told it was for "hygiene" reasons, to which I could only counter that I'd never had problems in that department, as when I was a wee bairn my parents (without wanting to get into the realms of "too much info") taught me how to clean my bits right.
Timbo liked this

By Abernathy
Killer Whale wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:42 am
Like not eating pork or shellfish, circumcision was probably a good idea from a hygiene point of view back in the new stone age, later doubling as a useful social marker, distinguishing the civilised from the more barbaric.

These days, a bit pointless.
Don't quite get how having a bit cut off the end of your old chap is good for hygiene - even in the new stone age.

What's wrong with giving it a quick rinse in the nearest stream?

Or even, as I still do, just wiping it on the curtains.

By Abernathy
Arnold wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:23 am
It's always baffled me. If God wanted it, why aren't males born without a foreskin?
Indeed. "And lo, the lord God created man in his own image. Except that bit, there on the knob end. That wants cutting off."

And another thing - shouldn't we start calling it - accurately - "male genital mutilation" or MGM ?

By lord_kobel
Membership Days Posts
Well, for a bunch of guys wandering in a desert, it was probably a good idea. Once you have easy access to running water, probably not any more.

A lot of MRA wankers are pushing that it's just the same as FGM but it's nowhere near as serious, while still a fucking stupid thing to do to a kid.

By bluebellnutter
As with a lot of things, no problem if adults choose to do it to themselves, but it's the doing of it to children which is the really ridiculous thing.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
When I was a kid I discussed this with my father (who was circumcised) and he said that my parents made a conscious decision not get me snipped because it was a form of mutilation. I must have been 10 or 11 at the time. I don't recall asking him how it had affected him, or if he had had any problems.

Funnily enough it looked, at the back end of last year, that I was going to have to be cut at 68 - but the problem resolved itself (phew).

By Abernathy
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:15 pm
When I was a kid I discussed this with my father (who was circumcised) and he said that my parents made a conscious decision not get me snipped because it was a form of mutilation. I must have been 10 or 11 at the time. I don't recall asking him how it had affected him, or if he had had any problems.

Funnily enough it looked, at the back end of last year, that I was going to have to be cut at 68 - but the problem resolved itself (phew).
That's the point, though, ain't it? If you'd had to get your bell end trimmed, it would have been (presumably) because of medical need, not arbitrarily to please some whimsical sky-fairy.

And your dad was right - it IS Male Genital Mutilation. Mutilation is precisely what it is.
By SoulBoy
Membership Days Posts
bluebellnutter wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:11 pm
As with a lot of things, no problem if adults choose to do it to themselves, but it's the doing of it to children which is the really ridiculous thing.
:shock:

By bluebellnutter
SoulBoy wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:35 pm
bluebellnutter wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:11 pm
:shock:
It's a hell of a trick if you can pull it off.

Else just use a knife...
Aaron Bastani

He's trying to win Uncle Seamus's approval. https[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

If we're honest we are really facing a "glove[…]

Climate change and "politics"

Well done to those kids who went on strike today. […]

The Trump Presidency

He has declared a national emergency on salad (veg[…]