•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:22 am
Like, in what universe does [mh] = 'v' (Don't tell me. I know, really. My first degree was in history of English/language generally).
The same universe where ph is pronounced "f" . And gh "f" or "w". "H" isn't really a Gaelic letter. It just modifies the pronunciation of the previous letter (lenition).
Little known fact : Gaelic surnames depend on gender. Nic is daughter (of), so NicLeòid for a woman, not MacLeòid.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I did say that I knew all that...

I had a pre-publication look at Professor Albrow's work on Polysystemic Spelling Systems in 1969. Wrote a short dissertation on it.
By Andy McDandy
Ever been to a northern Scottish town?

Although it'll be less "these aren't the droids you're looking for" and more "ah theng ah drapped some bad e".

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
In Florida, the weather is stable and largely predictable. Same with the north of Scotland although not necessarily in the within the same terms of reference.

That said, maybe rockets are built to withstand these things. On the other hand it might be that it is ideal to have them some distance from population centres, lest they should explode in to a bazillion molten droplets.

(Keen Mailwatchers will appreciate that I ain't no astrophysicist, bro'.)

By Malcolm Armsteen
Shooting 'em up from the North means they don't have to go so uphill as on the Equilux.
youngian liked this

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
It will be used for launching north over the sea. Unless the war for Scottish Independence involves a missile attack on London of course.
I'm seriously thinking of moving to Scotland before we leave the EU, although not that far north. Living near a launch site does appeal though.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:08 pm
I did say that I knew all that...

I had a pre-publication look at Professor Albrow's work on Polysystemic Spelling Systems in 1969. Wrote a short dissertation on it.
I know. It's far more common in Gaelic though. Many words come in two forms - with and without an h after certain consonants.
Have I mentioned that there are seven words for "the"?

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Kreuzberger wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:05 pm
In Florida, the weather is stable and largely predictable. Same with the north of Scotland although not necessarily in the within the same terms of reference.

That said, maybe rockets are built to withstand these things. On the other hand it might be that it is ideal to have them some distance from population centres, lest they should explode in to a bazillion molten droplets.

(Keen Mailwatchers will appreciate that I ain't no astrophysicist, bro'.)
Yes rockets are constructed to withstand immense windspeeds coming at their pointy end.
No, side-winds above a certain amount can spoil a launch, and play havoc with the gantries etc etc.

The northerly location is apparently very good for putting things into a polar orbit.

https://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Spac ... _of_orbits
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Meanwhile in Ireland, the Taoiseach Leo Varadkar h[…]

Boris Johnson

So what are the chances that another version of th[…]

What colour is it? Does it say EU still? It's[…]

Momentum

Bastani's comes out of with such fucking stupid ho[…]