•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I'd rather have seen the more forensic Andrew Neil interview Banks but nevertheless, he made himself look even more of a shifty tit with Marr this morning. Banks is a man who had good reason to think his street smarts would carry him through due to the talentless lack of media scrutiny over Brexit. He didn't reckon on Carol Calladwr's dogged determination. Banks was trying to kid us that bank account statements show the origin of his money. To quote union leader Clive Jenkins; "Company accounts don't provide answers but they do provide questions."

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
There is little to add to this whole Marr / Banks debacle that hasn't been played out on Twitter. But, the take-away has to be that that BBC has gaily shed yet another shred of news gathering and political credibility.

It's quite tragic to see have far and how fast they have sunk in the last five years.
youngian, Malcolm Armsteen, Boiler and 2 others liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Big Arnold wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:00 pm
I've got the worrying feeling that he's trying to manipulate events so that he'll be able to claim that he won't be able to have a fair trial.

Swindler Emil Suvundra tried that one on following his infamous David Frost interview and he lost. It was probably his motive for taking part and is Bank's as well: Interview goes well then it takes the heat off. And if the interview goes badly generating further bad publicity then Bank's lawyers can argue it makes a fair trial impossible. Banks comes across as a man who hasn't many cards left to play.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:22 pm
Big Arnold wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:00 pm
I've got the worrying feeling that he's trying to manipulate events so that he'll be able to claim that he won't be able to have a fair trial.

Swindler Emil Suvundra tried that one on following his infamous David Frost interview and he lost. It was probably his motive for taking part and is Bank's as well: Interview goes well then it takes the heat off. And if the interview goes badly generating further bad publicity then Bank's lawyers can argue it makes a fair trial impossible. Banks comes across as a man who hasn't many cards left to play.
Very good point. I too was recalling Savundra, but Frost did a properly good hatchet job on the bastard. Marr only did an averagely competent one (I'd have preferred Andrew Neill or James O'Brien (even though he doesn't work for the Beeb any more)). Yes, I agree that Banks did come over as an oily, arrogant, dissembling toad, but I really don't think his appearance signals the jettisoning of the BBC's journalistic principles.
oboogie, Arrowhead liked this
By satnav
Membership Days Posts
For Banks the whole Brexit thing has been a big joke I don't really think he really cares if we leave the EU or not. As a spiv and a speculator he will have made plenty of money from the ups and down which have taken place in the financial markets over the past couple of years.

If he is eventually found guilty of financial wrongdoing what will be his punishment? Probably some kind of financial penalty that will be a fraction of what he has made from his wheeling and dealing in the last couple of years. There will also the possibilities of lucrative book deals and lecture tours which will help to increase his wealth.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
I seriously hope a certain Robert Muller has evidence that leads to an extradition warrant for Banks and Farage* sooner or later. Mugshots of the pair of them in orange jumpsuits would be a joy to behold.

Meanwhile in Switzerland, a referendum for a municipality to transfer canton from Bern to Jura in June last year that was passed has been declared void after officials said that there were a number of dodgy going-ons at the time of the vote. Looking at a few Swiss news sources it looks like it's causing a shitstorm nationally (Zuriblue?) despite it only potentially effecting 7000 people. Of course such investigations into possible manipulations in referendums here or elsewhere in Europe has absolutely no parallel to the one held on Brexit </sarcasm>

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/directdemo ... -/44521590

*And if he ropes in Wigmore and a few dodgy DUP MPs/MLAs then even better.

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I freely admit I may be misunderstanding things or not quite in the loop, but I was under the impression that Banks' finances are nowhere near as vast as he would have us believe. He owns several insurance companies and a few abandoned diamond mines, and has some measure of wealth, certainly, but the headline figures are based largely on the valuations of the companies. Each larger company came from floating the previous one to raise the capital to cover the costs/liabilities, and so on. Probably not illegal-illegal, but to a large extent it's a house built on sand, the kind of over-leveraging that helped turn 2008 into such a complete shitstorm.

I wonder if the Serious Fraud Office have any non-Brexit business to conduct.
youngian liked this

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
It is difficult to understand what basis he was booked upon in the first place. Politically, he is very much a single-issue person who, as far as I can see, has never articulated a view on anything else.

Other than that, he knows about insurance and fishing. Not great telly, is it?

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Big Arnold wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Arron Banks dropped from BBC Question Time panel
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... time-panel
Today we learned that even Question time has standards.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:20 am
BBC news has just announced that Leave.EU and an insurance company owned by Banks are to face fines of £135,000 for breaching data laws.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46109883
As Satnav predicted above, this will be a drop in the ocean of anything he made, or was fronted by Vlad's pals..
Jeremy Corbyn.

Man who writes apologetic article for Corbyn sayin[…]

The Sun

Balls were they always saying no deal was...whatev[…]

The Tories, Generally

Margot James reckon a few more could walk too.

The Brexit Party

Nancy Mogg complaining there's not time to think a[…]