Area for all other political discussion
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Dragging ourselves away from Brexit for a moment, but this new piece of legislation is food for thought.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47239600
The final version of a controversial new EU copyright law has been agreed after three days of talks in France.

Google has been particularly vocal about the proposed law, which it says could "change the web as we know it".

Article 13 of the EU Copyright Directive states services such as YouTube could be held responsible if their users upload copyright-protected movies and music.

In a few weeks, MEPs will vote to decide whether it becomes law.

The EU last introduced new copyright laws in 2001. The EU says it wants to make "copyright rules fit for the digital era", but not everyone agrees with the proposed changes.

If the UK leaves the EU with a deal, and the directive becomes law, it would apply to the UK during any transition period.

What is Article 13?
Article 13 is the part of the new EU Copyright Directive that covers how "online content sharing services" should deal with copyright-protected content, such as television programmes and movies.

It refers to services that primarily exist to give the public access to "protected works or other protected subject-matter uploaded by its users", so it is likely to cover services such as YouTube, Dailymotion and Soundcloud.

However, there is also a long list of exemptions, including:

non-profit online encyclopaedias
open source software development platforms
cloud storage services
online marketplaces
communication services
So what do people make of this is it? Will ti destroy the Internet as we know it or is it just a fuss about nothing.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Inevitable and fair. Too many artists (and I'm not talking high rollers but the struggling end of the spectrum) see their work reproduced and shared without their permission and without any return.

I do wonder how many people will be hastily reclassifying their sites as wikis though.

By Boiler
Where it might get interesting is in the reproduction of images and text from other websites: for example, the background images used for memes and the like - what if, for example, the producers of Star Trek: TNG were to ask for reproduction fees of Patrick Stewart's face-palm?

Does it apply only to EU citizens uploading such material?

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The audiovisual industry now have an economically viable model and are more vigorous in taking down copyright infringing material on Youtube. Star Trek's producers do not tolerate episodes being posted but do nothing about Patrick Stewart gifs which don't threaten the bottom line (quite the opposite). The EU is not introducing new copyright laws but shifting responsibility. It just means the content provider gets the 'take it down or else' email instead of the person who posted it.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
This has.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47708144
Copyright laws which critics say could change the internet have been voted in by the European Parliament.

The new rules will hold tech firms - such as Google and YouTube - responsible for material posted without copyright permission.

Many musicians and creators say the legislation will compensate artists fairly - but others argue that they will destroy user-generated content.

Google said it would "harm Europe's creative and digital industries".

High-profile figures who have campaigned against the EU Copyright Directive include Wyclef Jean and web inventor Sir Tim Berners Lee, while Debbie Harry and Sir Paul McCartney have been among its supporters.

Copyright is the legal right that allows an artist to protect how their original work is used.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
I'll declare an interest here. Until Napster and around 1998, I was happily and with quite some relief, educating my kids on the fat of the records I had made almost twenty years earlier. Every time a CD was punted in Finland, Austria or wherever, I trousered some sixty pence. High on the hog, as it were.

These days, I cash in the thick end of nothing but I am still torn as to whether that is essentially a Bad Thing. Any exploitation of my art is on a piecemeal scale and a goodwill basis, but that of thieves, chancers and Adsense fisherfolk can also be not ignored. In fact, I remember the day it was announced that Google had bought YouTube and dismissing it out of hand as the most absurd deal in history.

Wife 1.0 turned to me (we were briefly back together at that point) and - in - words - of -one - syllable explained to me that copyright law is fought one case at a time. Not a billion.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Kreuzberger wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:17 pm
I'll declare an interest here. Until Napster and around 1998, I was happily and with quite some relief, educating my kids on the fat of the records I had made almost twenty years earlier. Every time a CD was punted in Finland, Austria or wherever, I trousered some sixty pence. High on the hog, as it were.

These days, I cash in the thick end of nothing but I am still torn as to whether that is essentially a Bad Thing. Any exploitation of my art is on a piecemeal scale and a goodwill basis, but that of thieves, chancers and Adsense fisherfolk can also be not ignored. In fact, I remember the day it was announced that Google had bought YouTube and dismissing it out of hand as the most absurd deal in history.

Wife 1.0 turned to me (we were briefly back together at that point) and - in - words - of -one - syllable explained to me that copyright law is fought one case at a time. Not a billion.
How much does an artist receive from legal streaming services like Amazon when a track is played?

Alistair Campbell doubting Boris Johnson’s motives on this matter
David Cameron

Compassionate conservatism: putting professionals […]

The sad faces of wronged Mail readers

I was told it's nothing to do with jackets and i[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Externalisation of the locus of control. https://[…]

GE 2020

Even though he played a prominent role in thwar[…]