Area for all other political discussion
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Biggus Robbus
Bill Maher attacks all religion. To remain consistent he must also attack Islam.

That said I think he has a poor understanding of the problem of radical Islam. As does just about everyone in the West.

Whether they are defending or attacking Islam.

I think we should teach the history of the Ottoman Empire, including its overthrow by Ataturk, as well as the history of Saudi Arabia and Operation Ajax in Iran in British schools. However that is just me.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Biggus Robbus wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:15 am
Bill Maher attacks all religion. To remain consistent he must also attack Islam.
As said many times before, the problem with that is that no matter how grounded and sensible any criticism is, it's just going to put a quasi-intellectual gloss on Paki-bashing.

Islam could be about cupcakes and unicorns, but the dogshit would still be getting pushed through letterboxes and sledgehammers would still be going through windows, because it's not about the faith. It's about people being perceived as dirty, lesser and over here.

By Biggus Robbus
lord_kobel wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:29 am
Biggus Robbus wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:06 am
Keeping double standards in place?
Nope, I'll happily call out anyone for saying anything as stupid as you did. It's like saying "Antifa are the real nazis", but somehow ever more stupid...
Nope. What I said is the the patriarchy want to keep and existing double standard in palce while SJWs want to invert that.

My view is that we should get rid of double standards.

To be fair SJW and patriarchy are labels that put people in groups. However when people get emotional they tend to make silly and/or aggressive arguments.
Last edited by Biggus Robbus on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Biggus Robbus
Andy McDandy wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:14 am
As said many times before, the problem with that is that no matter how grounded and sensible any criticism is, it's just going to put a quasi-intellectual gloss on Paki-bashing.
To be fair Bill Maher invites moderate Muslims onto his show to talk with them. He has publicly said that he thinks Islam is dumb however, as long as Muslims share his right to express themselves, then Muslims should be free to say that there is no god but god. He also must piss off the islamophobes by giving moderate Muslims a platform on his show.

He is much better than the "no god" botherer Dawkins or Sam Harris, who is simply wrong with his arguments against Islam.

Christopher Hitchens was better, because he was better educated about the current state of Islam, however he never considered its history.

By lord_kobel
Membership Days Posts
Biggus Robbus wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:58 pm
Nope. What I said is the the patriarchy want to keep and existing double standard in palce while SJWs want to invert that.
And I've pointed out that that is complete bullshit. "Women in charge for a change" isn't the same as "2000 years of white men in charge". You've been in america too long. With this and your claims that trump gives a shit about anyone other than himself or himself fucking his daughter, you're turning into a trumper.
I can persuade myself to like Bill Maher well enough, in very small doses, but self-infatuated smugness does indeed run though him like writing through a stick of Blackpool rock. And before making a final judgement on his qualifications to pronounce on the SJW phenomenon, it's worth remembering that this is the man who invited a pre-downfall Milo Yiannopoulos on his show and compared him to Christopher Hitchens. I may not be the Hitch's greatest fan (even pre-9/11 he was capable of saying and writing some incredibly dubious things), but even I think that's unfair.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

That's it.

The LibDems, generally

Spotted this elsewhere. Warning: contains Piers Mo[…]

GE 2020

The deluded fuckwit still thinks there's such a […]

David Cameron

Compassionate conservatism: putting professionals […]