•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
And, yes, I was musing about getting out of the way. What I probably meant was not getting in the way.

It is about finding ways to offer encouragement, in any of its forms however fleeting and seemingly small, to help them critically think through their idealism and to prepare them for the backlash that they are going to doubtless get from their gammony old relatives and the Toby Young's of this putrid world.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
You remember when a 12-year old Billy Ten Pints took to the podium and suckled at Thatcher's rancid teats during Tory conference and all those wankers dubbed him "the bionic boy"? Not much chance of that happenning today is there? "Mine could be the last generation of tory voters" looks pretty prophetic at the moment. Well, here's hoping - 'cos without hope, we're fucked. :wink:

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
I think when you look at the way the hard Right and tabloids rabidly go after, and quickly try and shut down, any young person with the audacity to speak out about their concerns it's pretty clear that "Gen Zero" are considered a genuine threat. I have faith that this is temporary resurgence of the fascist underbelly and it'll be driven back into the sewer where it belongs. The 'yoof' are determined, smart and politically minded. They embrace the chance to take to the streets when they see injustices with really rather epic protests with massive numbers. They're also not adverse to giving a fascist a smack round the face if needed, which isn't ideal but sometimes that's the only way and it's sort of comforting to know the Far Right don't hold the cards anymore when it comes to intimidation and aggression.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Kreuzberger wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:10 pm
And, yes, I was musing about getting out of the way. What I probably meant was not getting in the way.

It is about finding ways to offer encouragement, in any of its forms however fleeting and seemingly small, to help them critically think through their idealism and to prepare them for the backlash that they are going to doubtless get from their gammony old relatives and the Toby Young's of this putrid world.
Toby Young's funeral will likely be as well attended as his stag night.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:14 am
I think when you look at the way the hard Right and tabloids rabidly go after, and quickly try and shut down, any young person with the audacity to speak out about their concerns it's pretty clear that "Gen Zero" are considered a genuine threat. I have faith that this is temporary resurgence of the fascist underbelly and it'll be driven back into the sewer where it belongs. The 'yoof' are determined, smart and politically minded. They embrace the chance to take to the streets when they see injustices with really rather epic protests with massive numbers. They're also not adverse to giving a fascist a smack round the face if needed, which isn't ideal but sometimes that's the only way and it's sort of comforting to know the Far Right don't hold the cards anymore when it comes to intimidation and aggression.
Indeed look at this shite.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/05/the ... an-shield/
For what it’s worth — and, quite literally, jokes aside — I think Greta’s parents are exploiting her, as is Extinction Rebellion; the group responsible for the recent London climate change protests she led. Any blame for her being used as a human shield (to protect policy proposals, natch) in this way attaches to them. She’s far more effective as a youthful, messianic token than the double-barrel character Sky busted going on all those skiing holidays. For those who missed it, Robin Boardman-Pattison stormed out of Sky’s London studios after being confronted with his £17,500 a year public school and jet-setting lifestyle.

This stems from a desire to find someone who must be believed and never scrutinised. First it was women and minorities we were expected, uncritically, to believe. Then — multiple collapsed trials later, Liam Allan and Jussie Smollett and Operation Midland — we discovered we couldn’t. So now we’re presented with a child – and, even more compellingly, a disabled child whose disability blends high intellect with a strange, robotic delivery and an inability to appreciate nuance.

A great deal has been written about environmentalism being a millenarian cult, especially in the extreme form Extinction Rebellion advocates, but while true, it’s not particularly interesting. Classical paganism of both the Greek and Roman sort — along with Japan’s Shinto and Chinese folk religion — is immanent, not transcendent. That is, it locates the sacred within the world. Christianity and Islam, by contrast, locate the sacred outside the world. It’s a bit ripe taking a pop at environmentalists for worshipping Gaia when four great civilisations have done likewise. You cannot get rid of religion altogether, much as you may wish it gone. It turns up everywhere, a sort of cosmic bad penny. ‘Gaia’, incidentally, was a popular Roman girl’s name.

That a political movement requires a disabled child who cannot be scrutinised to lead it is what speaks volumes to me. Thunberg is properly autistic. Unlike most of the people who throw the phrase ‘I’m on the spectrum’ about, she has a genuine diagnosis. This is why — by facing their campaign with an autistic kid who would throw a wobbly on the carpet at Broadcasting House if subjected to scrutiny — the activists using her have revealed themselves to be complete and utter gobshites.
The sad faces of wronged Mail readers

I was told it's nothing to do with jackets and i[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Externalisation of the locus of control. https://[…]

GE 2020

Even though he played a prominent role in thwar[…]

David Cameron

As Charlie Brooker pointed out, he did it in TV in[…]