Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 41 % ❤ 4.9 % :thumbsup: 17.2 % 😯 4.9 % :grinning: 18 % 🙏 3.3 % 😟 3.3 % :cry: 5.7 % :shit: 1.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Piers Corbyn would be a problem as well. PM's brother attacks lockdown isn't a good headline for a Prime Minister. But the 2019 election proves what I'd been saying since 2015 that he was unlectable and should never been party leader.

By Boiler
I would however add the caveat that there are voters in the "Red Wall" who dislike Starmer for "betraying" their Brexit vote but also see Labour returning to what they see as a party of the chattering metropolitan classes under his tenure: yet somehow they voted Labour during the Blair years. They feel that it's ceasing to be a party of the working class.

Make of that what you will, because I'm well confused...
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
I think that the "right" has had to rely on disgruntled working class support whereas the "left" possibly attracted more middle class people due to the fact that they can afford to dabble in hobby politics , like obsessing over climate change and diversity, which are turn offs for people out here in the big bad world of zero hours contracts and minimum wage.

How long it lasts is open to debate, stubborn pride in red wall areas can only go so far, and when the Tories start on tax cuts, middle class waverers will swing back.

I'm confused too

By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Blair offered investment as well as sun dried tomatoes. He was also comfortable on the daytime TV sofas and had a knack for the common touch - "I spent the 80s doing casework for unemployed Durham miners as a junior MP" goes down better than "I spent the 80s being told by the ANC to piss off and stop fucking things up for them".

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
mr angry manchester wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:19 am
I think that the "right" has had to rely on disgruntled working class support whereas the "left" possibly attracted more middle class people due to the fact that they can afford to dabble in hobby politics , like obsessing over climate change and diversity, which are turn offs for people out here in the big bad world of zero hours contracts and minimum wage.
Or, chip-pan dwelling northern racists whose "concerns" are anything but "legitimate".

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
mr angry manchester wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:19 am

I'm confused too

Brexit, moaning about too many foreigners on high street or getting pissed on Tommeh marches is also hobby politics. None of it is about the economy, stupid.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
I don't really have a horse in this race, TBH, the extreme left and extreme right at each others throats isn't something I'm all that arsed about. It does illustrate the hypocrisy under which both factions operate.

What I don't like is the polarisation and tribalism which has increasingly become a factor in British politics. I want sensible, grown up, middle ground, consensus politics.

Are we going to get it? Are we fuck.

One of my friends is a partner in a City law firm.[…]

My primary school had a headmaster who used to ham[…]

Priti Patel

https://twitter.com/MrMichaelSpicer/status/1352624[…]

Peter Hitchens

Hold my beer; Alexander Johnson - Classics, Oxfor[…]