Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 40.5 % ❤ 5 % :thumbsup: 17.4 % 😯 5 % :grinning: 18.2 % 🙏 3.3 % 😟 3.3 % :cry: 5.8 % :shit: 1.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Samanfur
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I refer you to my previous thoughts on the subject.

I still won't pass for anything but working class, and I'm fed up of being told that we're intellectually in a race to the bottom because we have to respect the prejudices of these spiteful bottom feeders.
youngian liked this

By davidjay
Arrowhead wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:26 am
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:18 am
Oh God both West Brom seats have gone, amongst others.
An unmitigated disaster. Watson might’ve just about held on if he’d stuck around, I bet he’s glad to be out of it all now.
Of all the night's events this is the one that stunned me most. West Brom West was always solidly but not overwhelmingly Labour - not until 1997 was it a five fiogure majority. East was marginal for a long time but Tom Watson built it up until his majority was bigger than Adrian Bailey's in West last time out. And what's doubly inexplicable is that there are no Tory councillors in Sandwell. On the ground they don't exist. Yet they now have three out of the borough's four MPs.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Samanfur wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:22 pm
I refer you to my previous thoughts on the subject.

I still won't pass for anything but working class, and I'm fed up of being told that we're intellectually in a race to the bottom because we have to respect the prejudices of these spiteful bottom feeders.
Working class are not interested in human rights is a strange thing for a union leader to say. And you’ll find plenty of people interested in civil rights among the demographics most likely to be stitched up PC Plod. More so than politics.
Catkins liked this

By AOB
Everyone who put an X next to a Tory candidate voted to inflict pain on others. If you endorse the Tories that is what you want. Ignorance or wanting "Brexit done" is no excuse. I've seen the devastation Tory policies can cause. Thatcherism virtually annihilated Liverpool in the 80s. But other people like you reading this post have seen it too, which brings it back round to ignorance not being an excuse. You don't need to have lived in a place affected by Tory policy to have seen what it can do.

I naively thought, or hoped, that most people were decent human beings. But deep down in me, I know that that's not the case. Those who have compassion are in the minority.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Including a Brexit-supporting taxi driver
Talking guff about tax credits? They’ve virtually been abolished as you have to be paid below the legal minimum wage to qualify. You can be sure he doesn’t support Australian points systems for English pensioners in Malaga.

On the whole that was a fairly heartening vox pop and told us what we already knew; I’ll come back to Labour when you get a proper leader.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
We have regressed as a country. 100 years ago people from working class areas climbed out of trenches into raking machine gun fire because they didn't like the foreigns on the other side and some posh officer from Eton told them it was in their best interests to do this.

Fast forward to the 60s and 70s, the officer would have been told to fuck off, but fast forward to 2019, and we are back to square one.

We have reverted to being a servile, sneering naive nation, and these Tory fucks know it.

Merry fucking Christmas
Boiler, Arrowhead, Kreuzberger and 7 others liked this
By Dan
Membership Days Membership Days
I'm not a fan of attacking those who voted Tory. Everyone votes from their own perspective on life.

However, this is indeed a short term disaster. There's no getting around it, Labour were annihilated and battered. There is no positive to take from it at all and for the sake of democracy, they need to pull themselves together and oppose in the next five years. A party in power for nine years, having inflicted austerity, public services cut to the bone, with a known and proven liar leading them and having inflicted a national crisis should be easy pickings and should not be winning by a landslide.

The next five years could well be very painful unless Johnson's dishonesty oddly works in our favour and he turns on the hard Brexiteers now he doesn't need them any more. Possible but not very likely.

The only silver lining is that now they can no longer hide from responsibility. It's been nine years since a Labour government and will be 14 if this Parliament lasts a whole term. They can leave the European Union on whatever terms they want and they don't have Parliament stopping them. No blaming "the mess we were left", the pesky Europeans or the "Brexit-blocking" Parliament, this is entirely and completely on them.

Should it go as wrong as we think and Labour get their shit together, it may only be five years.
Kreuzberger, Arrowhead, oboogie and 1 others liked this

By Kreuzberger
Yes, apart from the fact that the E.U. will shoulder much of the blame as will Pavel and non-whites of every flavour. A daily denouement of Scooby-Do. We'd have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky (...)

By Abernathy
Dan wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:24 am
Should it go as wrong as we think and Labour get their shit together, it may only be five years.
It's worth remembering, though, that thanks to Magic Grandpa Labour now requires a swing from Tory to Labour at the next election just to get a majority of one, equivalent to the swing that was achieved (if not actually required) in 1997 to deliver the Blair landslide. That'll require an almost unprecedented getting together of shit that currently shows little sign of getting underway, with Corbyn lingering by the exit door instead of fucking right off as he should be doing.

Effectively, Corbyn and The Cult's catastrophic misadventure has gifted us TEN more years of Boris-inspired damage. Happy fucking Christmas.
Last edited by Abernathy on Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boris Johnson

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/132262056[…]

The Tories are unlikely to be getting contracts an[…]

US election 2020

It won't be resolved by morning. Trump won't co[…]

Labour, Generally.

I don't know what his regular pay was. But whateve[…]