Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 40.5 % ❤ 5 % :thumbsup: 17.4 % 😯 5 % :grinning: 18.2 % 🙏 3.3 % 😟 3.3 % :cry: 5.8 % :shit: 1.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Portillo in one of his train journeys revealed that he was interviewed for the Isle of Ely constituency to fight the incumbent Liberal MP and noted nonce Clement Freud. That’s an early example of how media exposure can give you a head start. I doubt many of his constituents listened to R4 panel shows so his profile came from advertising dog food and Blankety Blank.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
He was slick, confident, polished and entirely without substance. His ministerial career seemed to consist of making cringeworthy speeches about the SAS. Andy McWank at its worst. Kind of summed up the entitled arrogance of the later Major years.
Arrowhead liked this

By lord_kobel
Pretty big, given that corbyn is being a fucking idiot.
"We have now heard from the EU that the extension of Article 50 to 31 January has been confirmed, so for the next three months, our condition of taking no-deal off the table has now been met."
Which means fuckall, as Johnson can just waffle for another three months, and then crash out with nothing to stop him.
oboogie liked this

By davidjay
Boiler wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:35 am
I thought I'd awaken this thread as it now seems inevitable.

How big a shitshow will this be for Labour?
As I said last night, stick a considerable wedge on a Tory majority at 10/11. It won't be pretty but at least you'll be able to afford to eat for a few more days.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Some reasons why Labour may do OK:
Like Trump campaigning is Corbyn’s only political skill and it’s unlikely the huge ‘don’t know’ vote will rekindle it’s faith in the Tories.

A campaign on austerity may find prove popular among voters sick of everything Brexit.

Labour has a better offer for Remainers than GE2017 and a strong anti-Brexit card that Corbyn will actually play; Stop the Tories flogging the NHS to Trump. As Johnson knows an NHS led issue doesn’t have to be true to gain traction.

A scorned Farage takes a sizeable chunk of the Tory vote.

Low hanging fruit like Hastings and demographic suburban changes (Chingford yay) limit Labour’s net losses.

The election hinges on Johnson improving on May’s BlueKIP strategy in Labour marginals in order to off-set their losses to the LDs.

I am warming to Labour’s Brexit strategy. It would result in Remain fighting a referendum in which the other side was led by Corbyn (if he turns up).
Arrowhead liked this

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
Pinning hopes on Nigel's Ponzi Party splitting the tory vote.

I'd stick my rent money on Johnson avoiding scrutiny by any means possible, Corbyn character assasinations, Swinson desperately trying to seem relevant by promising anybody anything, Sturgeon and Blackford whoring Scottish independence to any party as a condition of support, Farage moving into the BBC while whining about BBC bias, a gammonpocalypse on every tv 'debate'...and violence on the streets.

By bluebellnutter
The Red Arrow wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:30 pm
Apparently Johnson's sniffing around for a very safe seat. How that would look if he abandoned his current one might be interesting.

Anyone seen anything to back this up?

Not seen anything so far, indeed the Government has allowed one amendment and it appears to be likely to be one which allows for more amendments.

By AOB
davidjay wrote:
Boiler wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:35 am
I thought I'd awaken this thread as it now seems inevitable.

How big a shitshow will this be for Labour?
As I said last night, stick a considerable wedge on a Tory majority at 10/11. It won't be pretty but at least you'll be able to afford to eat for a few more days.
Yep. Tory majority all the way. And back again. Unfortunately.

Bloody forrin' artifacts...send 'em home! :lol: […]

Initially Radcliffe and Bury, as far back as I kno[…]

The TV Licence and Funding the BBC

There's the difficulty. The nugget content is the […]

Labour, Generally.

https://twitter.com/graceblakeley/status/122984193[…]