Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 40.5 % ❤ 5 % :thumbsup: 17.4 % 😯 5 % :grinning: 18.2 % 🙏 3.3 % 😟 3.3 % :cry: 5.8 % :shit: 1.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
One of the reasons Thatcher opened up the telco and network to US players like AT&T was that she was impressed by local calls being free in the US. What a Commie. These firms never had the economy of scale to install a nationwide network. Corbyn's plans are probably written on a fag packet too small to outline the myriad of problems with the proposals but the direction of travel is the right one. I am enjoying Brexit Tories suddenly interested in details and quoting objections from people who know stuff.
Snowflake liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts

Police say they are assessing two allegations of electoral fraud, after claims the Tories offered peerages to Brexit Party election candidates to persuade them to stand down.

Labour peer Lord Falconer has urged the Metropolitan Police and prosecution service to launch an investigation.

The PM says the claims are "nonsense".

Ann Widdecombe, a Brexit Party candidate, said she was prepared to swear on the Bible that she had been approached with an offer of "a role" in the next phase of Brexit negotiations.

A Conservative source also told the BBC that the Brexit Party candidate in Peterborough, Mike Greene, had been offered an unpaid role in education in the hope it would convince him to stand aside. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50443430
Widdeombe preparing to swear on a Bible carries weight. Even if Johnson matches her offer it would carry none. Nor would the promises of job offers be fulfilled.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It's 3 policies run together. A tax, nationalisation and free access. You can have free broadband now if it's so important. Or at least make changes to the tax and benefit system so that the poorest get £20 a month more. The tax doesn't seem to be as straightforward as they're making out. And nationalisation doesn't seem necessary and isn't all that popular.

Run them together though and you get something that looks very plausible.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
A couple of further thoughts.

Automation is coming in a massive way. From the block-chaining of food provenance to crop picking to grocery delivery to refuse collection, much of daily life will be impacted to a lesser or greater degree. Then there is the remote delivery of services - particularly in healthcare consultation, financial services and education - and none of these can be viably delivered without robust, reliable and fat connectivity. And that's before we even think of straying an inch beyond the city-limits in our autonomous or semi-autonomous vehicles.

Much of the internet-of-things (or, more accurately, stuff that will, ten years hence, taken for granted by everyone else) simply cannot happen without this level of infrastructure investment.

As I suggested in my earlier post, this is now about playing catch-up. The Neom Project in Saudi is an example of what is already happening when starting with a bland sheet of paper. Seoul and Singapore show what is being developed within the confines of existing infrastructure.

We can have a conversation about data privacy and governments knowing exactly what food and drink we order, and, for example, the precise density of flu immunisation in any given neighbourhood, but none of this shit is going away.

Labour would do well to press the case for an inevitability in which everyone is able to take part. And the best bit is that the tech companies - those who stand to benefit most - are footing the bill.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:47 am
It's 3 policies run together. A tax, nationalisation and free access. You can have free broadband now if it's so important. Or at least make changes to the tax and benefit system so that the poorest get £20 a month more. The tax doesn't seem to be as straightforward as they're making out. And nationalisation doesn't seem necessary and isn't all that popular.

Run them together though and you get something that looks very plausible.
Given Labour's shyness to put the work into policy making they are overcomplicating a problem. Which is installing fast broadband in areas that are unprofitable for private operators. I'm still leaning towards Corbyn's grand projet approach to get it done as Brexiters say given the patchy record of a competitive open market. It'll help Daniel Zeichner retain his seat as they like this sort of thing in Cambridge.
Tubby Isaacs liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
Boiler wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:04 am
This is Sam Gyimah we're talking about.
I read something about him a while ago that suggested to me he was bright. It was about tax, IIRC. He sounded like an Economist type, which isn't the worst but isn't exactly going to bring left of centre support back to the Lib Dems.

Surprised he did that silly tweet.

By Tubby Isaacs

The big bus companies have huge fleets that they match across very different routes. A bus that's showing its age in a big city can be redeployed to a much lower intensity area. That's very difficult for a council to copy. I don't think Sadiq Khan has any interest in it, so which council will want to do it? Still, no harm in having the freedom. And the political attention given to buses, and extra money for the grant, is very welcome.
By Andy McDandy
I think that the use of "suggests" by Corbyn is understatement, rather than wavering about taxing Google. His intention is perfectly clear.
Twat of the Day

Pure speculation here. The upside down stripes g[…]

The Biased BBC

I've noticed the shysters have found a new method […]

Boris Johnson

Carrie Symonds isn't the adviser you should be con[…]

The Mail's Front Page Headline

A few years ago, I think in line with the diamond […]