Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 40.5 % ❤ 5 % :thumbsup: 17.4 % 😯 5 % :grinning: 18.2 % 🙏 3.3 % 😟 3.3 % :cry: 5.8 % :shit: 1.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Wee nippy Nic on the ball again.

She's right of course, but the galling thing is that no matter how appalling Johnson is or is seen demonstrably to be, too many voters still prefer him to Jeremy Corbyn. Any other leader (with obvious exceptions - Abbott, Burgon, Piddock, Long-Bailey) and Labour would be a shoo-in at this election. For the Tories, Corbyn is the gift that never stops giving.

It's nothing short of a modern-day tragedy.
oboogie liked this

By The Red Arrow
Don't forget this guy is a founder of the Tory loving media favourite polster, You Gov
This is what happens after many, many years of demonising left-wing politics -- a mainstream politician can utter something as preposterous as this without being ridiculed out of court.
Kreuzberger, Boiler liked this

By Boiler
Thank you, John Crace.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -wild-west
Let’s not forget the victims, said Johnson at the beginning of a painful half-hour interview on the Andrew Marr Show. Only to do precisely just that. The family of one of those killed in the London Bridge terror attack had specifically asked that no one should use the tragedy as political capital during the rest of the election campaign. So naturally Johnson went on to do that too.

By spoonman
Just a thought, but surely despite the best efforts of Cummings & CCHQ, there's no way they're going to be able to keep Trump quiet about the UK general election in the next few days?

By The Red Arrow
Here's hoping. It'll be interesting to see how close Johnson is willing to cosy up to the bullshitter-in-chief in front of the cameras.

Trump watchers have noticed that following his unscheduled hospital visit, his doctor in close attendance everywhere recently, even getting in the limo with him. Add this to the fact he's not been spotted on a golf course lately, they're reading all sorts into it. Anyway, here's a view from over there about over here, just for interest.

And here's another one.

Britain’s Dirty Election
A serial liar. A campaign of online disinformation. The risk of foreign meddling. Sound familiar?

By Peter Geoghegan and Mary Fitzgerald

Mr. Geoghegan and Ms. Fitzgerald are journalists based in London.

Nov. 29, 2019

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/29/opin ... hnson.html

By Tubby Isaacs
Pleased to see Labour reallocating some road building money to reducing rail fares- taxpayers need to fork out for it, whoever runs the trains.

But not sure about the focus on season tickets. It's obvious these are expensive but the peak time trains are already full. Where is the extra capacity? And in terms of progressiveness, season ticket holders are (generally) a fairly wealthy group, heavily concentrated in the South East, so this is is effectively a subsidy to the South East.

I think I'd have gone more for off peak trains first, where there is spare capacity. You could prioritize poorer regions too.

I read today that the actua Labour raill policy is better than it comes across in the campaign which just bangs on about nationalisation all the time. I need to look at it.

By Tubby Isaacs
Exploding Corbynite heads as the neoliberal IFS suggest Tories more likely to raise Council Tax.

The Tory approach of sticking extra care spending on to council tax has been very bad. Are you a poor area? Lots of pensioners? Do lots of them need care? Here's a council tax rise!

By bluebellnutter
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:01 pm
But not sure about the focus on season tickets. It's obvious these are expensive but the peak time trains are already full. Where is the extra capacity? And in terms of progressiveness, season ticket holders are (generally) a fairly wealthy group, heavily concentrated in the South East, so this is is effectively a subsidy to the South East.
I think a lot of it is about the way you can play the numbers. For example (and pulling figures entirely from my arse on this), it's a lot easier to claim ticket prices are too high when you can say "it's costs £7,500 to travel from Guildford to London!" (because it's a lot of money) than it would be to claim "it's awful that the cost of a ticket from Dartford to Sevenoaks costs £16.20".
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Study finds strong support for soft Brexit. but op[…]

Boris Johnson

I was more thinking Ronnie Corbett in his chair.[…]

The Tories, Generally

There seems to be a lot of that on Twitter too, bu[…]

US election 2020

Obviously, it's pretty awful that the Republicans […]