Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 40.5 % ❤ 5 % :thumbsup: 17.4 % 😯 5 % :grinning: 18.2 % 🙏 3.3 % 😟 3.3 % :cry: 5.8 % :shit: 1.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:50 am
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:47 am
Zero growth in the 3rd quarter. Total of 0.1% in the last 3. Labour ought to be doing way better.
Perhaps Andy Burnham will pick up on it in a referendum campaign. Politicians appear to think 'Its the economy stupid' voters seemed have vanished. I doubt it somehow.
There seem to be more "identity" voters than before, but a skilled Labour campaign with the economy much more prominent (how many votes can Labour squeeze from the NHS? They always overestimate this, I think) could have made the issue work for them. It looks like there's been about zero net economic growth this year. Come on, somebody!

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Arrowhead wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:17 pm
youngian wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:34 am
Doesn't that work both ways? Do you hate Corbyn/Johnson enough to brave the rain and cold? I certainly do (Johnson that is).
True. I suppose I'm making some assumptions as to the likely demographics of the postal voters, and the need for generally younger, Remain-y voters to get out the door and offset them. At least the 6.1 million voters who signed the "Revoke" e-petition last April should be hyper-motivated and can be relied upon to venture out, whatever the conditions.
A couple of weather related factors I heard today; cold weather was a reason identified by pollsters to explain why the NHS has risen as a main issue. And the Tories are concerned wankers who don’t usually vote but turned out for Leave in 2016 aren’t going to be arsed to do it again in this weather as they told you once. In other words they couldn’t give a toss about Brexit enough to fight for it and still see foreigners in the high street and the mosque open so what’s the point?

By Boiler
Well, for those out campaigning today, I wish you well.

I plan to listen to the CD I made of some Berliner discs repeatedly, rather than the radio or TV. In the words of the great Louis Jordan,

"I'm gonna buy me a brand new radio /that don't know how to get the latest news".

By davidjay
This morning someone I know put on Facebook a lengthy list of Corbyn's supposed links with terrorism. When asked how many were true, they replied "I dont know. I haven't checked them."

And that was when I finally realised that They have won. Not just tomorrow, not just next year, but forever.
Tubby Isaacs, Oblomov liked this
By mattomac
youngian wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:34 am
Not sure what the possible impact on the election outcome would be, but probably not great for Labour on a day where turnout/voter enthusiasm will be absolutely key.

Doesn't that work both ways? Do you hate Corbyn/Johnson enough to brave the rain and cold? I certainly do (Johnson that is).
You see I think it does, in an election no one wanted in my view (What ever people say on Yougov) at a time no one wanted it. I don't think Johnson is driving people to the polls (Well not people who will vote for him).

By Malcolm Armsteen
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... onary-sect

Boris Johnson wants to destroy the Britain I love. I cannot vote Conservative
Peter Oborne

By Samanfur
Had to step in to rescue a fellow canvasser earlier. The poor bloke was being given the full hairdryer treatment for about ten minutes by the sort of idiot who probably gets all of his news from Facebook because he thinks that The S*n's too highbrow.

He thinks that Corbyn is going to bring a load of Palestinian terrorists into the country, and insisted that we were "full of shit" when we tried to correct him about a certain hospital photo not being faked.

Meanwhile, one of our mixed race canvassers is so fed up of racist insults in the street and memes of her head Photoshopped onto Diane Abbott that she's thinking of leaving not just the town she grew up and raised a family in, but the north west altogether.

I despise what this country has become, and that the people with the most influence to stop it have encouraged it.
youngian, Boiler, Arrowhead and 6 others liked this
Priti Patel

Meet Priti’s mum A tweet from a Harrow co[…]

Matthew Goodwin

The Left generally can be some of the worst "[…]

Which is complete unmitigated bollocks, of course[…]

Boris Johnson

I recall the last time there were villages flooded[…]