Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 26.5 % ❤ 22.4 % :thumbsup: 12.2 % :grinning: 12.2 % 🧥 2 % 🙏 4.1 % 😟 18.4 % :cry: 2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Arrowhead
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:00 pm
So what happens now then?
Nothing for a minimum 10-15 years, as nobody will want to resurrect the Brexit bogeyman anytime soon. After that, hopefully we can start pushing for re-entry to the Single Market as a tentative step towards fully rejoining in the dim & distant future. At risk of sounding macabre, but we desperately need some “demographic churn” to take place and for a new generation of voters to assert themselves before any of this can be fully revisited with any confidence. Until then, the challenge will be to prevent the UK from peeling apart - something which I am increasingly convinced the modern Tory Party doesn’t really give a damn about.

One crumb of comfort: I know this might seem an odd thing to say so soon after a GE where they secured 45% of the vote, but I’m still convinced that Brexit will ultimately destroy the Conservative Party, albeit over a long period of time. When all of the division they have deliberately stoked eventually catches up with them, their demise will be sudden and brutal. I just hope I'm still around long enough to enjoy watching it unfold.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
One crumb of comfort: I know this might seem an odd thing to say so soon after a GE where they secured 45% of the vote, but I’m still convinced that Brexit will ultimately destroy the Conservative Party

Two pieces of demography is that towns are getting older and metropolises get younger but the demography is changing at 1% a year away from the nativist vote (Remain’s recent polling on 52% isn’t down to Leaver remorse). If the Tories blow their majority in 2025 and a different government replaces FPTP then the Tories could well be finished. Except they’re masters of reinvention.
Arrowhead liked this

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
Can anyone confirm this?

By Arrowhead
youngian wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:37 pm
Except they’re masters of reinvention.
Good point. I think it was yourself who compared them last year to the liquid Terminator, i.e. they always find a way to piece themselves back together?

There is probably always going to be at least a third of voters who retain nationalist instincts, whatever the economic circumstances of the times. That’s the Tory core-vote from this point onwards. Rich pickings for the other parties, if the Brexit rubble ever gets cleared away.

By KevS
Oh well.

What will be, will be. Can't get worked up about it any more. It's a waste of time and effort to do so. Suffice to say if things do go wrong (and I genuinely hope they don't) I know who I will be holding responsible.

Night all. X
Boiler, Safe_Timber_Man, Arrowhead and 1 others liked this

By Abernathy
KevS wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:26 pm
It would just sum this fiasco up if on News at Ten Farage is interviewed and says "Actually, I'm not so sure this is such a good idea after all...."
Well, oddly enough, yesterday the nicotine-stained man-frog was opining that a further referendum after Brexit day might be a good idea. Well he'd fucking love that, wouldn't he? Gets to continue his shit-stirring man-of-the-people racist act for a few more years. It's his thing, you see - he's a fucking one trick pony. And a cunt.
The Tories, Generally

I'll just leave this here. https://i.postimg.cc/[…]

'Disrespect' cries the man using his daughter as a[…]

Richard Littlejohn

For context. We, as children, grew up with food po[…]

Meanwhile in America

What is it about BAME people that makes white Amer[…]