Area for all other political discussion
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts

Just reading out government slogans now.

The cuts to poorer areas don't sound like "leaning left on the economy to me". Nor the continuation of the bedroom tax. It's populist bollocks, with the good bits (potentially on infrastructure, no more than potentially at the moment) contradicting what they themselves said about borrowing for infrastructure in the very recent past.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Johnson’s not short of kite flying wacky ideas but couldn’t even build upon Livingstone’s infrastructure achievements. He could well become a Peronist populist spending like a drunken sailor to stave off Brexit decline but its not really in the DNA of the Tories.

I take it moving to the right on ‘culture’ isn’t about banning the Life the Brian and Sex Pistols songs. Goodwin also likes to produce stats about how the country is becoming more liberal and Brexit is nothing to do with bigotry.

By Tubby Isaacs
mattomac wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:35 pm
So effectively all words no actions?

The position the Tories have taken for decades.
I don't rule out that they might start chucking money about in some places in "Labour territory"- they already promised Blyth Valley a new line, and that's a credible project. But it strikes me that lots of it will be in cities- extensions to trams etc. Lots of poverty in cities and opportunity to improve transport, but these aren't the "towns" everyone goes on about. Even so, we'll judge them on their record.

I'm just amazed that Goodwin seems to think it doesn't matter if they actually spend.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Got this from Starmer’s campaign which doesn’t say anything about the purchasing parity. I read Doncaster’s average wage was £100 less per week than London. If you have a mortgage you’re quids up in Doncaster.
The analysis that my team brought back to me was disappointing, yet ultimately unsurprising, for anyone who has spent time travelling through the UK's nations and regions. It showed that people in the North East are earning, on average, over £200 a week less than those living in London.

By Tubby Isaacs
Yeah, a lot is in the housing costs.

There's a link to a useful barchart here. Irritatingly, as with so much excellent House of Commons research material, you have to download it and can't link directly.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk ... y/CBP-8191

London is actually 5th among UK regions for income after housing costs. There must be something about these not very well off London people, but I can't put my finger on it...

By Tubby Isaacs
And someone else, though this is a bit further back, July last year. Sounds like eye-popping nonsense by Goodwin, turning the "paranoids" that Hofstadter was talking about into some sort of "Remainer elite" before their time.

https://colinrtalbot.wordpress.com/2019 ... d-history/
Sundry far-right groups and parties.

It's as if it's all somehow linked... https://twi[…]

Meanwhile in Australia

Yes, I've seen one or two of those before and they[…]

Oh man, fucking hell. Well, I suppose Keir will[…]

Twat of the Day

"Thicky" Young covets the power and infl[…]