Area for all other political discussion
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:40 pm
Goodwin has opined that people are critical of Munira Mirza because she's "interested in data and evidence". And when her writing for Spiked is pointed out, he dismisses this as "guilt by association".
He might want to run that past ITN I'm sure they would have some interesting things to say.

Tubby Isaacs liked this

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:46 pm
Tonight Matthew, Matthew is going to be a liberal. Its a reference to some letter signed by the metropolitan elites like Salman Rushdie trans bashing or something
He means this letter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53330105

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:44 pm

He means this letter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53330105

I don’t like the sound of this President Assad bloke
And at least two novels by Syrian writer Khalid Khalifa that criticised Syria's government were banned in his home country.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I notice there are some lefties on there, including Chomsky who rather misguidedly went as far as defending a Holocaust denier's right to free speech, rather like 70s civil libertarians used to stand up for the liberties of the far right. We needn't go that far, but there's a well-founded fear that censorship/cancel culture will ultimately get turned against the Left.

It's good that there's some left-liberal support for caution on this stuff. But I remain unconvinced that it's a bigger threat right now than rightwing nationalist populism- does anybody know an academic who specializes in that area and can warn of the dangers?

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Rob Ford (Mancs)? I think he and Goodwin may have fallen out.

Funny that Goodwin was still citing the US as populist right in June 2018. The Democrats were a few months away from romping home in the mid terms, and Trump was polling badly. I don't think Germany held up very well in his column either.
mattomac liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Bloody young people. I blame the Teddy Boys and Elvis swinging his hips. At what point in history could you expect people not to call for stiffer sentences? (cue diabolical laughter from Palin and Gilliam). On the last question 59% of Labour MPs asked what that fuck that even means.
oboogie liked this
Shaun Bailey

It's like watching a shit version of Carcetti's ca[…]

Was it followed by pictograms of a mushroom cloud […]

The Tories, Generally

The Tory spin and control of the media is so effe[…]

Richard Littlejohn

I rather enjoyed Mars Attacks. Was that him wot […]