•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I can see why people might say that about London, but "cities"?

Lots of the Red Wall is close to Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle. Do people from Leigh really say "Manchester's full of quinoa eater Remainers who hate people like me"? I'd be surprised. Not least because lots of people from Leigh will likely work and go out in Manchester.

What's the social divide anyway? Nobody goes to church. Nobody cares about gay sex these days. Lots want to legalize drugs. Is it immigration? If so, say that. If you want Labour to appeal to this sort of thinking, be honest about what it is.

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Having followed this thread from the start I can now state with absolute certainty Academician Goodwin talks through his arse, and the only use he has for his head is to keep his ears apart.
mattomac liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Deborah Mattinson explains further; Labour is 'no longer a party that sounds or looks like me.' That's a fair comment when you look at Corbyn but I doubt they're voting for Johnson because he likes a pie and a pint unlike posho Len McCluskey. Labour still polls better than the Tories with working class families under 50 so what age demographic was this focus group?

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:59 pm
I'm getting Ken Barlow being told off by his Dad in 1960 Coronation Street.

Migration to the South from the North was massive in the 80s. Is it those relatives who come back home with their fancy cars and clever dick children the focus group have resented for 30 years?
Tubby Isaacs liked this

By Tubby Isaacs
youngian wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:02 pm
Deborah Mattinson explains further; Labour is 'no longer a party that sounds or looks like me.' That's a fair comment when you look at Corbyn but I doubt they're voting for Johnson because he likes a pie and a pint unlike posho Len McCluskey. Labour still polls better than the Tories with working class families under 50 so what age demographic was this focus group?

Migration to the South from the North was massive in the 80s. Is it those relatives who come back home with their fancy cars and clever dick children the focus group have resented for 30 years?
I used to enjoy reading Sir Ian Gilmour's Tory wet books. In one of them (Inside Right?) he said words to the affect that he didn't believe the electorate always got it right, and that they'd been disastrously wrong in 1974. We're not allowed to say that now. Hence the double dose of this stuff and Lavery/Trickett today. To me, the main thing it suggests is that if you're prepared to pull any stunt for short term gain (the referendum, then the hard Brexit), then you might get short term gain. But you'll get found out in the end. Let's see where we are in 2024.

How many older people would mention "quinoa"? It's maybe easier to imagine Johnson being a good laugh in the pub than Jez, but how does Johnson "sound like us"? And it's not like middle class Labour politicians is a new thing anyway.

By Samanfur
Various local news reports last December had jobless voters living in bedsits describing Johnson as either someone who was going to magically sort everything out just because, or who voted for him because he came across as someone it'd be fun to go for a pint with.
Tubby Isaacs liked this

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:37 pm
youngian wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:02 pm

I used to enjoy reading Sir Ian Gilmour's Tory wet books. In one of them (Inside Right?) he said words to the affect that he didn't believe the electorate always got it right, and that they'd been disastrously wrong in 1974. We're not allowed to say that now. Hence the double dose of this stuff and Lavery/Trickett today. To me, the main thing it suggests is that if you're prepared to pull any stunt for short term gain (the referendum, then the hard Brexit), then you might get short term gain. But you'll get found out in the end. Let's see where we are in 2024.

How many older people would mention "quinoa"? It's maybe easier to imagine Johnson being a good laugh in the pub than Jez, but how does Johnson "sound like us"? And it's not like middle class Labour politicians is a new thing anyway.
What did the electorate get wrong in 1974?

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:57 pm
From Ian Gilmour's point of view, voting Labour. Not from my point of view. Though the "renegotiation" stuff would have been a pain.
Calling the election in the first place was a terrible idea and the slogan Who Governs Britain was an even worse idea.
Last edited by The Weeping Angel on Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tubby Isaacs liked this
The Tories, Generally

I've said it before, but I'm sure he looks in... […]

"Boris" Johnson

Spectacularly stupid Cybernat row about Johnson v[…]

Paul Thomas Redux

Just spotted the guy giving a blow job. Fuckin[…]

Round the Blogs

https://jenzerb.medium.com/i-left-my-career-in-pre[…]