Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 16.3 % ❤ 10.7 % :thumbsup: 3 % 😯 1.2 % :grinning: 11.5 % 🧥 0.1 % 🙏 8.8 % 😟 44.3 % :cry: 4.1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Bones McCoy wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:31 pm
davidjay wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:02 pm
We've had a rough couple of days. I can't seem to get it through to my mum that the shops are closed, the internet isn't a magic wand that can produce anything she wants on demand, her grocery order has to include whatever she might need in the next two weeks and her friend can't just pop round if there's anything she's forgotten. I know she's elderly, extremely fed up and probably a bit scared, but it's so frustrating when I tell her something three times (one of which will probably be the hundredth since lockdown began), she says "I AM listening" then in the next breath asks the same thing.
Take a breath and find more patience.

My Mother in Law has asked me "will the virus be gone tomorrow" for the last 2 months.
"We'll go to the Chinese supermarket tomorrow" she adds.

I explain the same message everyday.
She was a lot better today, until she told me that her friend came to the door with a parcel. "And am I supposed to tell people not to come near me?" Yes, you are and I'm not getting at you, I'm trying to keep us all alive.

I know I should be more patient, but when I tell her - yet again - that all the shops are shut and she runs through a list of ones she thinks might be open while I keep saying "THEY'RE ALL SHUT" I am, ever so slightly, tempted to drive over there and quietly strangle her.

By Oblomov
Afternoon all.

Thankfully no virus symptoms. Wish I could say the same about cohabiting tensions. Oblomova is very excited that Italy are planning to welcome foreign travel from June onwards and is desperate to see her parents and keeps asking my opinion on taking a train there (might be easier to social distance than a plane). I'm hesitant as the idea of jaunting off on a summer hollibobs before visiting my parents again just doesn't sit well with me. And she's been haemorrhaging money on Iphone games and cigarettes, leaving barely anything for the rest of this month. I am very unhappy about as I sent her an extra payment on top of the usual monthly outgoings to replenish her savings that were wiped out by the cat's emergency surgery in April and it's almost all gone already. Even in lockdown boredom I'm astonished it's been frittered away already and I am struggling to keep a lid on it.

By The Red Arrow
Howdy-diddly-doodly, groovers!

For the first time since this all began, I had to use the pelican crossing to get to the Co-op and back today. The Portland road was very busy. The pavement not quite so much, but families walking four/five abreast with little or no concern for anybody walking the other way much in evidence. From my back door I can see a multitude of windsurfers titting about in the harbour and streams of vehicles heading to and from the island. Seems to be dying down a little. Christ knows what the town centre and seafront was like. Filled with a sense of 'this isn't going to end well'.

Stay safe, stay sane, my lovelies.
Oblomov liked this

By Kreuzberger
Oblomov wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:06 pm
Afternoon all.

Thankfully no virus symptoms. Wish I could say the same about cohabiting tensions. Oblomova is very excited that Italy are planning to welcome foreign travel from June onwards and is desperate to see her parents and keeps asking my opinion on taking a train there (might be easier to social distance than a plane). I'm hesitant as the idea of jaunting off on a summer hollibobs before visiting my parents again just doesn't sit well with me. And she's been haemorrhaging money on Iphone games and cigarettes, leaving barely anything for the rest of this month. I am very unhappy about as I sent her an extra payment on top of the usual monthly outgoings to replenish her savings that were wiped out by the cat's emergency surgery in April and it's almost all gone already. Even in lockdown boredom I'm astonished it's been frittered away already and I am struggling to keep a lid on it.
I can see how that could really rile but these are extraordinary times which impact upon us all in different ways. I would be tempted to try to keep a lid on the resentment which, I fully understand, is both a frustrating and lonely task.

Howsabout flying Business to Italy? But, she'll need to stump for the majority of it and over time if needs be. It has social distancing baked in and doesn't make the apartment stink like the Builder's Fist.
By satnav
After 8 weeks of trying I finally managed to get my first Tesco's click and collect today. It just fell at the right time because its my daughters birthday tomorrow so it was nice to get a few treats to make up for it being a very low key birthday. We also manages to have a family quiz on zoom so got to see my sister and my nephews and my mum and dad. After 3 weeks of quizzing the questions are getting tougher all the time.

We did have an extra bonus tonight because my sister has been very busy with her sewing machine so she had a large collection of face masks which she is going to post out to everybody in the family so I will be well prepared if school does re-open before the Summer.

By Oblomov
Kreuzberger wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:14 pm
Oblomov wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:06 pm
Afternoon all.

I can see how that could really rile but these are extraordinary times which impact upon us all in different ways. I would be tempted to try to keep a lid on the resentment which, I fully understand, is both a frustrating and lonely task.

Howsabout flying Business to Italy? But, she'll need to stump for the majority of it and over time if needs be. It has social distancing baked in and doesn't make the apartment stink like the Builder's Fist.
Cheers for the concern Kreuzy, I'm trying to be aloof and civil about it but I am running out of tether for the "don't argue small annoyances because it'll sour the atmosphere for however long this is going on for" line of thinking.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Morning everybody.
Nothing much going on, except that having broken one figure setting up yesterday I broke the other one packing away...
Pictures will go into the Hobbies thread.

Got some pictures from the trail cam - what looks like 2 different foxes and a hedgehog (difficult to spot, but its there).
DSCF0115.jpeg
DSCF0115.jpeg (123.63 KiB) Viewed 398 times
DSCF0091.jpeg
DSCF0091.jpeg (143.25 KiB) Viewed 398 times
DSCF0082.jpeg
DSCF0082.jpeg (137.36 KiB) Viewed 398 times
and yesterday's magpies:
DSCF0073.jpeg
DSCF0073.jpeg (268.9 KiB) Viewed 398 times
Samanfur, The Red Arrow, Cyclist and 3 others liked this

By Oblomov
Morning all.

Crap night's sleep. Discovered my manager has dealt with all the enquiries that built up whilst my network was down on Friday and had intended to catch up on over the weekend until other things got in the way so now I'm anxious about appearing as a malingerer. I already want to bin the day off and go hide under the covers.

By The Red Arrow
What ho, chums!

It could be worse, Obie. The very last innocent looking piece on my Mustang was such a pig to fit that I very nearly threw the bloody thing at the wall. Calmed down now, and looking forward to a relaxing time finishing the paint job off and putting it up in the hobbies thread. Sun's out, birds a-singing, Suzy Klein and a fine selection of music on the wireless, fourth or fifth mug of tea, O.M.A yet to surface. Got the makings of a half decent day. Have so far resisted the make your own anime style portrait avatar craze sweeping my farcebook feed - maybe that's one for another thread.

Stay sane, stay safe, groovers.
Oblomov, Boiler liked this

By Zuriblue
Membership Days Posts
Bones McCoy wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:41 am
Facebook Avatars... I have a bunch of those waving at me, but no idea how to create one.

By Oblomov
Morning all,

Yesterday turned out okay, seems to be carrying over into today until our wifi inevitably gets overloaded and shuts down again. Will shortly relocate myself to the garden, I can't believe how consistently good the weather has been! Trying to remember the last spring/summer that was mostly a washout, 2012 I think?
Malcolm Armsteen liked this
US election 2020

How long have we known that locking people up for […]

Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

This is disappointingly poor from Oborne. Most o[…]

Labour, Generally.

What I don't get is Gardiner is not, on paper, u[…]

Tony Blair (more Marmite than Messiah)

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1268809231223[…]