Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 14.7 % ❤ 9.8 % :thumbsup: 3.4 % 😯 1 % :grinning: 10.9 % 🧥 0.4 % 🙏 8.8 % 😟 47.3 % :cry: 3.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
Cyclist wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:34 pm
For sale. £5. No longer wanted by owner:

Headache
Full set of aching joints
One nose, blocked solid but somehow still runny
Intermittent cough
Sneezes registering in the megatonne range

Priced low for a quick sale
Cyclist liked this

By KevS
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I haven't seen another family member since 6 January.

Next week, my mother is heading in this sort of vague direction, and coming up to the Broads on holiday with my uncle and his family.

It was agreed that next Wednesday, I'd go up and see them.

There's six of them.

That's the end of that idea now, isn't it?

To say I'm fucked off is an understatement.

By Abernathy
Boiler wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:59 pm
Just had my first haircut in at least six months, probably this year.

It looks better, but it has triggered my internal corona clock :(
Boiler, earlier today ......
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (65.38 KiB) Viewed 439 times

By Kreuzberger
Samanfur wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:58 pm
Meant to have a productive afternoon.

Slept for five hours instead.

Going back to my normal work rota seems to be hitting me like a ton of bricks.
You're not alone. Not knowing what season it is, let alone what month, is doing for me.

Up and at it at 07:00, sleeping from 12:00 till 15:00 and then coasting until real sleep gets me. Waking at 05:00, dozing, the cycle continues.

We are off to Poland tomorrow for a couple of days by the sea. The plan is to totally disengage for 48 hours and I am already stressing about whether to take my lappy with me.

I might be the season change. It might be the sheer exhaustion of needing to reprocess and reevaluate everything every day since mid-2016.

(Did I mention that I worked out that we can live like minor royalty up-country in Vietnam for less than 600€ a month?)

By MisterMuncher
Samanfur wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:58 pm
Meant to have a productive afternoon.

Slept for five hours instead.

Going back to my normal work rota seems to be hitting me like a ton of bricks.
This, 100%

I genuinely don't know how I used to do the hours and work. I'm pretty much always knackered.

By Boiler
Kreuzberger wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:35 pm
We are off to Poland tomorrow for a couple of days by the sea. The plan is to totally disengage for 48 hours and I am already stressing about whether to take my lappy with me.
Leave the lappy behind. And any smartphones.

Only that way will you disconnect.

By Samanfur
MisterMuncher wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:46 pm
This, 100%

I genuinely don't know how I used to do the hours and work. I'm pretty much always knackered.
Going back after a long time away from my regular shifts is really bringing it home to me how much tiredness and anxiety are part of my work routine.

As I've been thinking since lockdown started, and if you'll pardon the vernacular: I don't want everything to go back to normal. Normal sucked.

By Boiler
Samanfur wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:30 am
As I've been thinking since lockdown started, and if you'll pardon the vernacular: I don't want everything to go back to normal. Normal sucked.
*Workplace* normal sucked, 'tis true.
Samanfur, Oblomov liked this

By Daley Mayle
Still here.

As my reader ought to know by now me mam has lived with us in a self-contained annexe in Mayle Mansion.

She is 92 but up to January she was pretty Independent when she had a fall during the night and couldn't get up. Nothing broken and nothing could be found to explain her sudden deterioration in cognitive abilities and mobility, I thought it was a stroke but she had CT scans that showed nothing other than vascular problems in the brain ie narrowing of the veins/arteries that reduces blood supply. Since then she has had further dips in cognitive abilities and mobility although after each episode she improved but never got back to the level she was at prior to that event. If you put it on a graph it would show down and ups but a constant decline.

Four weeks ago I found her again in the morning, collapsed across her bed. Something had happened during the night but she was totally out of it and dead weight, me and the missus couldn't shift her so it was 999 and off she went to hospital (Haverfordwest) where we could go in and see her. She seemed to regain some of her old self but not the mobility, she just couldn't stand up. She was there for a week or so but was then transferred to South Pembrokeshire hospital which is a rehabilitation unit. Unfortunately their Covid19 rules means they will not allow any visitors as the ward is full of very frail old people. We do have video chats with her provided by the hospital's patient liaison person but it's hard to engage with her because she is easily distracted by what's going on around her. Sometimes she's barely aware of us trying to talk to her, other times she is very depressed and in her own words, frightened of what's going to happen to her.

We have tried to reassure her that when she is mobile again she can come home, she is getting physiotherapy although it doesn't appear to make much difference. She has been in South Pembs now for three weeks.

If they can't make any improvement then eventually they will want to move her on. The hospital uses a hoist to get her in and out of bed and for washing/toilet functions but we don't have that facility and we can't physically manhandle her so it will mean having carers coming in a couple of times a day and she will hate that. The other option is for her to go into a care home and she will hate that even more, as would we.

Difficult times.

By Boiler
Daley Mayle wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:21 pm
If they can't make any improvement then eventually they will want to move her on. The hospital uses a hoist to get her in and out of bed and for washing/toilet functions but we don't have that facility and we can't physically manhandle her so it will mean having carers coming in a couple of times a day and she will hate that. The other option is for her to go into a care home and she will hate that even more, as would we.
You should be able to get that equipment supplied and fitted at home by the council, given that most councils much prefer in-home care these days. When my mother became increasingly ill from her lung cancer, stair lifts and a shower were rapidly forthcoming from her council.

Now might be a good time to make enquiries, Daley.
spoonman, Bones McCoy liked this
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Kids football back so took son to his game this morning, on 4g astroturf. They won 11-1, he got one of the goals (the team they played were terrible btw)

Not working next week, as I'm on relief cover, break appreciated and can do a bit of reading/listening to music/messing with model trains :D
Bones McCoy, Zuriblue liked this
US election 2020

Trump isn't invincible Boiler.

"disrupt the nuclear family" Is this […]

Boris Johnson

Spotted elsewhere. https://youtu.be/x_Cizl7ifkA

Labour, Generally.

You need money to win elections. The days of union[…]