Area for all other political discussion
:sunglasses: 14.6 % ❤ 9.7 % :thumbsup: 3.6 % 😯 0.9 % :grinning: 10.6 % 🧥 0.3 % 🙏 8.7 % 😟 47.9 % :cry: 3.7 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Zuriblue
Membership Days Posts
That’s a bit of a bugger. I’m visiting my mother until Sunday. She lives in north Northumberland, 3 miles from the border. Because I live in a separate household under the new rules I shouldn’t be here.

It looks like I’m going to have to break the law in a limited and specific way.

(I filled in the forms and everything and have never heard a peep from the health people. When I had a positive test back in Swissyland i had the Kanton on the phone daily making sure I hadn’t gone out)

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Zuriblue wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:11 pm
When I had a positive test back in Swissyland ...
'kinnell! You kept that quiet or did it just fly me?

Hoping you are getting back to your best and feeling so much better.

By Kreuzberger
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:10 pm
Olive oil?
Oh, yus.

Back in the day, we had table on the brutally-hot terrace in Liguria. I had fashioned the top from discarded teak boat decking. Being for outside, I had done little more than get the nastier crap off it but we oiled it hard once every six weeks or so. I used the generic al grezzo from the local co-op in Imperia but Asda always used to stock it in the UK as their cheapest. Very cloudy and full of fatty goodness.

That stuff costs a bomb here because people have been convinced that it is oh-so artisanal and posh, so I just use whatever is on offer at the Turks'. The heavier, the better. I also crisp spuds in it with salt and rosemary.

At home now, the better pieces are mainly Glasgow / Vienna / Darmstadt art nouveau oak and they are oiled on a semi-regular basis.

That full-on stinky wax only comes out once a year when we do our handful of older, Biedermeier (1820-1850) pieces which are cherry and oak. Even then, I just clean out the joints with olive oil on a Q-tip.

When I can be arsed to restring my guitars, the fretboards get a wee sip too.

By MisterMuncher
You can wax over oil. I've done it multiple times.

It's not that common, but Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil and Gunstock wax are excellent. Bottles go a long way, I've been using the same one for years. Currently using it on the daughter's guitar neck and it's come up gorgeous.

You can oil over wax, but it's a bit messy. You can tint wood with good old fashioned light tan shoe polish, 600 grit, very light touch of water to raise the grain, 600 grit again, steel wool, then Tru-Oil 5/6 coats, then top coat wax.

By Kreuzberger
Looks like we are fucked. Again. Just as we were looking forward to a few days in Bavaria for the MiL's birthday, our borough (Freidrichshain-Kreuzberg) is being added to the list of high-risk areas and we are being prevented from travel within and into various DE states.

I knew this was coming, I shared those fears on here with you, but I still harboured hope that it wouldn't happen. Having two weeks ago sacked the idea of going down via Prague, our current outlay/loss is only about 120€ in rail tickets, but it is not the money. It is the stupidity of people who simply refuse to follow the well-founded rules.

They might consider themselves to be as cool as fuck with their MDMA-infused fro-yo but they are just Trump with equally stupid haircuts.

I am currently considering whether to 'shop up some paperwork that will get us past any casual controls if we decide to go to Bayern anyway. I am also scouring the web for a Christmas bolt-hole, far from this madding crowd.

It's depressing. It's infuriating. And I might just clout the next mindless Yank who I see not wearing a fucking mask.
oboogie liked this

By Oblomov
Aye. My irritation with twats that aren't complying with the guidelines isn't so much that they'll do me harm now but more that they're prolonging an interference to my usual activities and I'm thoroughly worn out with all this.
oboogie liked this

By davidjay
Oblomov wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:02 pm
Aye. My irritation with twats that aren't complying with the guidelines isn't so much that they'll do me harm now but more that they're prolonging an interference to my usual activities and I'm thoroughly worn out with all this.
I think you've just nailed my feelings. It's not so much that I think I'm going to catch it (although I know there's a risk) as missing the idea of "Don't feel like cooking, let's go to the Toby*" or wander down the road for an evening pint, or the 101 other things we should at this stage of Western civilisation be able to take for granted.

*Other purveyors of cheap and unhealthy meals for the proles are available.

By Oblomov
Best of luck to ye Arra.

I'm so bloody bored of Zoom quizzes :(

That said, we went for our flu jabs today so if we fall ill during the winter we should be in more certainty if it's the 'rona. And we grabbed a passable Lebanese shawarma from a food market on the way home so today is on the brighter side of middling.

By Samanfur
Woke up with an intermittent cough and a slightly high temperature. Cough has settled down, but temperature hasn't.

Test booked for this evening. At least the test centre is just over five minutes away on foot.

I'm so run down from work at the moment (I had just over 13 hours' sleep on Friday night) that it's probably something and nothing, but since my normal workday routine involves two forms of public transport and wrangling service users for eight hours, I daren't take any chances.

Everything is theatrics, maaan.

Shaun Bailey

I think Bailey might be spending more time talking[…]

Jeremy "Fucking off" Corbyn.

It just pisses me off that even when Corbyn is doi[…]

Sarah Vine aka Mrs Gove

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8861437[…]